How should I keep time on the official LSAT?

cc.celina

Re: How should I keep time on the official LSAT?

Postby cc.celina » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:06 am

jetissent wrote:If you do +20 practice tests, you'll know how long a section should take.

This is true, you SHOULD have a REALLY good internal clock, but I've read too many books about the Challenger disaster to leave my (color-coded) watch at home. Redundant systems, bro.

Colonel Angus wrote:That's fair, but fuck you, but completely fair. Really no hard feelings.

:lol: :lol:

jjrialva

Postby jjrialva » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:12 am

do you guys (people scoring above 165+) really have to keep track of the time during the real LSAT? I find having a clock/watch very counterproductive for the real LSAT.. I would think that people who score 90 percentile and above timing shouldn't be an issue... timing requiring a watch is an issue during pretest when you are trying to set up the best approach to the sections.. keeping time during the real test of just trying to keep time of time during the real lsat is just a waste of time..

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:04 pm

jjrialva wrote:do you guys (people scoring above 165+) really have to keep track of the time during the real LSAT? I find having a clock/watch very counterproductive for the real LSAT.. I would think that people who score 90 percentile and above timing shouldn't be an issue... timing requiring a watch is an issue during pretest when you are trying to set up the best approach to the sections.. keeping time during the real test of just trying to keep time of time during the real lsat is just a waste of time..

That might work for you, but I completely disagree. I didn't look at my watch THAT often, but I did look at it after every game, reading comp passage, and 2 pages of LR. Of course you should have a good approach that you've developed over the course of many, many PTs. But you should also have a backup plan, in case a passage takes you WAY longer than usual or something -- sometimes you're so in the game that you don't notice you spent 9 and a half min instead of 8 and a half, which could screw you.

And if you're relying on the 5 min warning to know when to bubble all your answers/speed up/etc - remember that the proctors aren't perfect. I've heard of proctors giving warnings at 6 minutes, at 2 minutes, just randomly, and in some cases not at all. You wanna be prepared for EVERYTHING on test day. So I suggest you bring a watch.

That said - you're right it can become a time suck if you check it obsessively, so train yourself only to look at it for certain intervals.

westie25

Postby westie25 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Buy an analog watch at Walmart. Analog watches and clocks are not hard to find. I got mine for $5. Don't waste money on a super expensive watch. During the break count forward and remember that at the '7' you have 10 minutes, at the '8' you have 5 minutes (they will also tell you), and at the '9' time runs out. Obviously those numbers will change for your test and the times you have. ;) It's really not that difficult to use an analog watch to monitor your time.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:35 pm

I highly recommend the the 180 Watch (LinkRemoved) because it is the only silent analog watch I know that resets the second-hand as well. If you don't value this, then I think any silent analog watch will do. Whatever you buy, be sure it doesn't tick loudly!! Also, although it may seem a bit expensive (at $50), it really is a great watch for its purpose (silent, easily resettable, etc), and I'm sure you wouldn't have much trouble reselling it after test day (or, consequently, just buying a used one on TLS or a similar website).

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:35 pm

[/quote]What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Public clocks are analog. Watches, unless you are exercising, are analog (if you don't want to look like a twelve-year-old). Wall clocks are analog.[/quote]

I'm perfectly aware of what an analog clock is, I have one in my car (for some reason). Of course everyone knows what one is and what they look like, doesn't mean they you have an instinctual knowledge of how much time you have of your allotted 8:45 per section just by looking at it as you would something more designed for it. This isn't rocket science, everyone has a pretty good understanding of the problem here and you're just acting like a hipster jackass who is apparently doesn't understand why people can't waste the time to do the mental math to find out how much time they have left until they have to move on.

Also, don't sully Billy Madison with your retarded babble.

EDIT: And who the hell actually wears a watch or even has the need to look around the room for a wall clock? Does it make you more mature if you cling to obsolete technology?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:01 pm

JohnV wrote:EDIT: And who the hell actually wears a watch or even has the need to look around the room for a wall clock? Does it make you more mature if you cling to obsolete technology?
In the professional world, watches are worn. Pulling out your phone to check the time in a meeting with people who can fire you is a terrible idea, because it looks like you're checking facebook or reading a text. Checking your watch is acceptable.

PaulKriske

Postby PaulKriske » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:03 pm

an hour glass is credited.

cgw

Postby cgw » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
JohnV wrote:EDIT: And who the hell actually wears a watch or even has the need to look around the room for a wall clock? Does it make you more mature if you cling to obsolete technology?
In the professional world, watches are worn. Pulling out your phone to check the time in a meeting with people who can fire you is a terrible idea, because it looks like you're checking facebook or reading a text. Checking your watch is acceptable.

This. I wear a watch everyday. It makes things much easier at the job where I'm not at a desk. And even at the desk job, I always forget the computer has the time on it. I don't understand this analog watch animosity, but then, I use this watch and have no trouble allocating my time at a glance: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grenen-Womens-W ... 564wt_1139

Pocahontas

Postby Pocahontas » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

So true. I now wear a watch for this very reason. I got called out in my evaluation about how many times I looked at my phone during presentations. Most embarrassing shit ever.

BallHog

Postby BallHog » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Pocahontas wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

So true. I now wear a watch for this very reason. I got called out in my evaluation about how many times I looked at my phone during presentations. Most embarrassing shit ever.

A watch is also jewelry and a statement of class. Hate it or love it, you are going to get more respect in the professional setting with a Rollie on your wrist.

bbobby12

Postby bbobby12 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:29 pm

Get one that quickly resets the second hand. And obviously it cant make noise. You really need this, even if you spend $20 on something that costs $2. You dont want to panic during the short break you have in between sections

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 am

bbobby12 wrote:Get one that quickly resets the second hand. And obviously it cant make noise. You really need this, even if you spend $20 on something that costs $2. You dont want to panic during the short break you have in between sections

If you need 30 seconds to reset a watch, it is not the watch's fault. You'll be fine. I did fine with the 10 buck special from Wal-mart. If you're practicing like you should be, resetting your watching should be the least of your concerns.

crazi4law

Postby crazi4law » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:18 am

Can you set your wristwatch on the desk during the LSAT?

Do most people who bring watches wear them on your wrist or set them on the desk?

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:02 am

MauveT-Rex wrote:If you're going to purchase an LSAT watch I would highly recommend you get one here. I purchased option "P".

http://lsatwatch.webs.com/

I bought one of these recently. Although it works just fine, it took over 6 weeks for my order to arrive. This was with little to no e-mail contact at all. Probably too late if you're registered for October 6.

Sounder89

Postby Sounder89 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:15 pm

I just took an analog watch and reset it to 12:00 at the beginning of each section. I would definitely suggest resetting to 12 every time, it gives you one less thing to worry about.

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Psib337 wrote:My instructor for the LSAT class I took for June said he just used an analog watch and inbetween sections reset it to noon and kept time that way.

I do the same thing; I just purchased a $5 watch from a generic pharmacy and re-set it in between sections. It's easier to keep time when the big and little hand are both aligned at the top when a section starts.

scham

Postby scham » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:58 am

Why does everyone talk about resetting their watch to noon between sections? I set mine to 11:25 so that I'm counting down till noon. It seems like a far more intuitive way to go. Which is more automatic? Glancing at a watch and knowing how much longer till noon or how much longer till 12:35? Granted, they both would work fine, especially if you practiced that way, I just think having noon be the finish time instead of the starting time is more natural.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:08 am

I set mine to midnight, because I usually study late at night, and that's what I'm used to.

scham

Postby scham » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:29 am

Cerebro wrote:I set mine to midnight, because I usually study late at night, and that's what I'm used to.

Well midnight would make me sleepy, but noon might make me hungry... Maybe I should experiment with both.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:24 pm

scham wrote:Why does everyone talk about resetting their watch to noon between sections? I set mine to 11:25 so that I'm counting down till noon. It seems like a far more intuitive way to go. Which is more automatic? Glancing at a watch and knowing how much longer till noon or how much longer till 12:35? Granted, they both would work fine, especially if you practiced that way, I just think having noon be the finish time instead of the starting time is more natural.
This is what I did. It takes half a second more thought to reset it, but is very clear at a glance during the section.

BallHog

Postby BallHog » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 pm

I have a chronograph watch... not really worth it just for the LSAT, but I just happened to have it. Got lucky. :lol:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”