How should I keep time on the official LSAT?

Oscar85

How should I keep time on the official LSAT?

Postby Oscar85 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:28 am

So far I have only been using a digital timer, but I am going to start moving onto analog watches. I've never owned one, and I have no idea where to start. Is there an analog watch that is especailly made for the LSAT? Would this be allowed by LSAC? Just any recommendation on time keeping on the LSAT (other than sarcastic responses like "make sure to know how to countdown from 35 minutes" or something like that) would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

RIPmitchhedberg

Re: How should I keep time on the official LSAT?

Postby RIPmitchhedberg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:41 am

A lot of places sell LSAT watches online (http://lawschoolprepblog.com/2011/02/lsat-watch/, http://www.lsattimer.com/, http://www.amazon.com/LSATTimer-Analog- ... B006A9SCU0).

When I took the test, they cost a little more than they do now. I went to Target and got a basic analog watch (it was plastic and tacky bright blue, $10), but I chose one where the outside could rotate around the watch. There was one major notch in the rotating part, so at the beginning of every section I rotated it back to 12. I practiced knowing that I had 5 minutes left when it was at the 6, and time was up when it was at the 7.

I don't know if this actually makes sense (it was kind of hard to describe), but the watch was cheap and I thought my little system worked well.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:44 am

I've seen links/pictures on here of a watch that counts down to 35 minutes with green, yellow, and red zones and I think people have said LSAC allows it. My instructor for the LSAT class I took for June said he just used an analog watch and inbetween sections reset it to noon and kept time that way. My room had a clock on the wall but I didn't really look up to check it during the test but still it was there but I'm sure that varies from depending on your testing site.

Oscar85

Postby Oscar85 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:44 am

RIPmitchhedberg wrote:A lot of places sell LSAT watches online (http://lawschoolprepblog.com/2011/02/lsat-watch/, http://www.lsattimer.com/, http://www.amazon.com/LSATTimer-Analog- ... B006A9SCU0).

When I took the test, they cost a little more than they do now. I went to Target and got a basic analog watch (it was plastic and tacky bright blue, $10), but I chose one where the outside could rotate around the watch. There was one major notch in the rotating part, so at the beginning of every section I rotated it back to 12. I practiced knowing that I had 5 minutes left when it was at the 6, and time was up when it was at the 7.

I don't know if this actually makes sense (it was kind of hard to describe), but the watch was cheap and I thought my little system worked well.

Are those allowed, though? They just seem wrong. I would hate going during test day and being told that I cannot use the watch. :(

North

Postby North » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:24 am

Psib337 wrote:I've seen links/pictures on here of a watch that counts down to 35 minutes with green, yellow, and red zones and I think people have said LSAC allows it. My instructor for the LSAT class I took for June said he just used an analog watch and inbetween sections reset it to noon and kept time that way. My room had a clock on the wall but I didn't really look up to check it during the test but still it was there but I'm sure that varies from depending on your testing site.

It's called a 180Watch, and I'm trying to buy one of them used (I'm too cheap to buy it new...) -- I think it looks dead useful. I'm trying to make everything that I'll have control over on test day as streamlined as possible, and the ridiculous looking watch will eliminate a couple things I'd otherwise have to worry about. June peeps don't seem to want to part with them, though.

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:43 pm

I bought a watch from Walmart and put sharpie marks on the face at :00, :10, :20, :30, :35. Between every section I reset the watch to 12:00 so I wouldn't have to do mental math. There is a sufficient amount of time between sections to do so and it saves you some money over a LSAT watch that has literally no other function.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Waste money on the LSAT watch if you absolutely must, but recgonize that you are a grown-up now and should probably know how to use an analog watch.

Colonel Angus

Postby Colonel Angus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:51 pm

I did a rotating bezel watch, but forgot two reset it on two sections. It actually kinda threw me off, but it works good if you remember.

shntn

Postby shntn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:54 pm

I just glanced up at the clock in the room occasionally. I found that checking the time was more of a hindrance than a help.

jbates14

Postby jbates14 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:11 pm

I used the 180 watch and it was worth every penny

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Waste money on the LSAT watch if you absolutely must, but recgonize that you are a grown-up now and should probably know how to use an analog watch.

What a silly and asinine statement. 'Knowing how to use' an analog watch is not the question. It's saving time and mental work that would be wastful and distracting on test day. And in today's age, analog clocks/watches are progressively rare, assuming you need to be familiar with them and be able to recognize time on one instantly is just a stupid suggestion.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 pm

JohnV wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Waste money on the LSAT watch if you absolutely must, but recgonize that you are a grown-up now and should probably know how to use an analog watch.

What a silly and asinine statement. 'Knowing how to use' an analog watch is not the question. It's saving time and mental work that would be wastful and distracting on test day. And in today's age, analog clocks/watches are progressively rare, assuming you need to be familiar with them and be able to recognize time on one instantly is just a stupid suggestion.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Public clocks are analog. Watches, unless you are exercising, are analog (if you don't want to look like a twelve-year-old). Wall clocks are analog.

MauveT-Rex

Postby MauveT-Rex » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:16 pm

If you're going to purchase an LSAT watch I would highly recommend you get one here. I purchased option "P".

http://lsatwatch.webs.com/

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Get a watch from wal-mart.

Pocahontas

Postby Pocahontas » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:52 pm

Resetting ones watch back on the 12 seems like a great idea. I had a watch with the rotating outer band, but never thought to actually adjust the time. Instead, I was doing math in my head in between sections for where to place the notch on the outer band for the next section. I lost a few seconds each section because I had to wait until the administrator began the time to be accurate.

In other words... It the simple shit like this that makes me curse every time I see my first score.

rwhyAn

Postby rwhyAn » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:08 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
JohnV wrote:

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Public clocks are analog. Watches, unless you are exercising, are analog (if you don't want to look like a twelve-year-old). Wall clocks are analog.

Knibb High football rules!

But seriously...

--ImageRemoved--

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:18 am

I can't tell time on an analog watch, I can't subtract double digit numbers in my head, and I can't tell my left from my right (every single friend who has been in a car with me can vouch for this). I also have to look up how to address an envelope every time I wanna do it, and my boss this summer had to explain to me how to use the landline. I do OK in life.

edit: And I spent $15 on an lsat watch. Ten people complimented me on it on test day. I'm keeping it because I think it's cute.
edit: every time a logic game makes me order things from left to right, I draw a big "L" and "R" on either side of the page to help me keep things straight

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:24 pm

I used a regular analog watch. Before each section began i would turn the minute hand back to the 12 position. Worked just like a timer.

Colonel Angus

Postby Colonel Angus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:29 pm

cc.celina wrote:I can't tell time on an analog watch, I can't subtract double digit numbers in my head, and I can't tell my left from my right (every single friend who has been in a car with me can vouch for this). I also have to look up how to address an envelope every time I wanna do it, and my boss this summer had to explain to me how to use the landline. I do OK in life.

edit: And I spent $15 on an lsat watch. Ten people complimented me on it on test day. I'm keeping it because I think it's cute.
edit: every time a logic game makes me order things from left to right, I draw a big "L" and "R" on either side of the page to help me keep things straight

This is a joke, right?

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:31 pm

Colonel Angus wrote:
cc.celina wrote:I can't tell time on an analog watch, I can't subtract double digit numbers in my head, and I can't tell my left from my right (every single friend who has been in a car with me can vouch for this). I also have to look up how to address an envelope every time I wanna do it, and my boss this summer had to explain to me how to use the landline. I do OK in life.

This is a joke, right?

oh dear god, it doesnt seem like a joke...

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:52 am

Not a joke.

Colonel Angus

Postby Colonel Angus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:54 am

cc.celina wrote:Not a joke.

I saw your score on another thread, the fact that you can't keep time on an analog watch and can't tell your right from your left blows my fucking mind. Also, yes I am a creepy ass lurker.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:00 am

Colonel Angus wrote:

I saw your score on another thread, the fact that you can't keep time on an analog watch and can't tell your right from your left blows my fucking mind. Also, yes I am a creepy ass lurker.

Haha, I have really specific types of intelligence but my IQ in certain daily life tasks hovers around 60 on a good day. If YS gave a flying fuck about my ability to follow directions from Google Maps, I'd be completely screwed.

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:03 am

Colonel Angus wrote:

This is a joke, right?

I am 100% with you on the left/right issues. My mind just doesn't work that way. BUT I would say, I didn't bring a watch to my LSAT because IMO TCR is taking enough practice tests that you don't need one. Personally, knowing the exact time would have only distracted me.

If you do +20 practice tests, you'll know how long a section should take.

Colonel Angus

Postby Colonel Angus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:04 am

cc.celina wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

Haha, I have really specific types of intelligence but my IQ in certain daily life tasks hovers around 60 on a good day. If YS gave a flying fuck about my ability to follow directions from Google Maps, I'd be completely screwed.

That's fair, but fuck you, but completely fair. Really no hard feelings.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”