Reading Material Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
7Steps

New

Reading Material

Post by 7Steps » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:12 am

Hi everyone,

I know that it's typically recommended on these boards to read actual LSAT passages instead of particular magazine or books in order to improve reading comprehension, but I'm a little apprehensive about adopting this approach right now. I'm about to enter my first year of college and am afraid that if I only read LSAT passages I'll run out by the time it really counts (late Junior/early Senior year.)

As such, what are some good reading materials that I can come back to for the next few years in order to sharpen up my CR skills and yet not burn me out for the LSAT? I'm concerned because CR was my worst SAT score (680), but I have hope since my W was an 800. I've been inspired by the stories that have posted on this board and have full confidence that with the proper training and enough work I can score in the upper 170's on the LSAT.

So what do you guys think? Any general speed reading/comprehension strategies would be appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance!

North

Gold

Re: Reading Material

Post by North » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:40 am

Someone's getting started early...

Though it's generally not advisable to start true LSAT prep this early, reading comprehension skills aren't applicable just to the LSAT and take longer to improve upon than the other skills tested on the LSAT. So, it's not a terrible idea to start now. Pick up subscriptions to (or read the copies at the public library) the Economist, Scientific American, and/or the New Yorker. Read them actively and cover to cover. Also, actually do all the reading for your classes and read books you would read anyway if you weren't planning on taking the LSAT. Browse through some of the RC advice on these forums to accustom yourself to the kinds of things you should be paying attention to in your reading and apply it to your daily regimen.

You have three years to become a more active, conscious reader. If you must start now, don't even think of it as LSAT prep. Being able to truly absorb information through reading is one of those life skills, you know.
7Steps wrote:I'm concerned because CR was my worst SAT score (680), but I have hope since my W was an 800.
Obvious humblebrag is obvious.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:42 am

Try reading the Economist, the New York Times, and the Newyorker. Check them out at the library for free.

eta:scooped

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:46 am

I used to tutor the SAT and they made me take the SAT multiple times. I have like 4 800s on CR and have seen pretty much every SAT CR passage. It is not comparable to the LSAT RC section, though someone who does well on the SAT will probably do better than average on the LSAT RC. The format may look similar, but the LSAT is looking for a different skill set.

And nothing on the writing section is remotely relevant to the LSAT. HTH.

totaltest.milan

New

Post by totaltest.milan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:57 am

Take some philosophy classes. Also, according to a recent study physics and math majors tend to have the highest average LSAT scores. People who major in physics are probably smarter to begin with but I'm willing to bet that doing high-level math and physics helps improve your short-term memory, analytical thinking, abstract thinking, etc.

You want to develop a habit of reading in addition to whatever schoolwork is assigned. Here's a good website that selects interesting articles on a daily basis: http://aldaily.com.

Also, I'm writing this before anyone's responded but someone's already either mentioned the Economist or will certainly mention it so for the sake of ideological balance (and because I genuinely believe it gives you more insight into how the world actually works) I also recommend reading the Monthly Review.

In general, read stuff that's moderately dense and where the essential structure is an overall argument.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Read Gravity's Rainbow.

Mik Ekim

Bronze

Post by Mik Ekim » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:04 pm

7Steps

New

Post by 7Steps » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks for the advice everybody! And sorry for the humble brag, I'm just trying to fit in as a newbie ;)

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:14 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

totaltest.milan

New

Post by totaltest.milan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:17 am

Max324 wrote:Don't worry about the LSAT. Focus on dat GPA.
Exactly.

7Steps

New

Post by 7Steps » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:40 am

Don't worry about the LSAT. Focus on dat GPA.
Gotcha! In case anybody is interested, I've found the following blog very useful for study strategies: http://calnewport.com/blog/

Enjoy!

WhoIsDaveGalt

New

Post by WhoIsDaveGalt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:08 pm

One effective strategy is visualizing the ideas as you read. Concentrate on the concepts of each whole 'thought-unit' and you can speed up your comprehension and therefore your speed. Here's a free site which explains this: http://www.readspeeder.com. I hope this is helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”