Will Prep Companies Adapt to new LG format?

jared6180

Will Prep Companies Adapt to new LG format?

Postby jared6180 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:15 pm

I asked this in a thread that is not on the specific topic, but thought I would provide the question for those who don't read that thread.

"Will the new formatting of LG be standard for future tests? I read there is now considerably more room than before. Will that new format, if standard than be retrofitted to all previous tests by prep companies to allow new LSAT prep materials to mirror the new and improved space allowed for that question type?"

It will be interesting to see how quickly prep companies react to this change as it is important for all new testers to practice in the same fashion that they will be testing. June takers know what it looks like and have a better chance of adjusting before the October test comes around.

cc.celina

Re: Will Prep Companies Adapt to new LG format?

Postby cc.celina » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:20 pm

I can't imagine what change in diagramming the new format would cause, other than writing bigger, and being able to line up hypos more neatly.

My guess is that they'll react to the new hypo-heavy trend in games, but suddenly having lots of nice room to work with doesn't seem like something you'd have to "adjust to." I don't think June retakers will have any particular advantage. Especially because PT 66 has already been released and is accessible to anyone for $8, and to the ethically challenged for $0.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Could you describe what "hypo-heavy games" mean and how that significantly differs from what I'm used to seeing in the older PTs?

Colonel Angus

Postby Colonel Angus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:18 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:Could you describe what "hypo-heavy games" mean and how that significantly differs from what I'm used to seeing in the older PTs?

Less deductions, more grind it out with tons of hypos.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Colonel Angus wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:Could you describe what "hypo-heavy games" mean and how that significantly differs from what I'm used to seeing in the older PTs?

Yeah, this. Basically, in older games, there were usually one or two brilliant deductions you could make ("Oh! Jack has to mow the lawn on Tuesday!") that would make the rest of the game a lot easier. Sometimes you didn't hit that deduction until question 3 of the game, but once you figured it out, the rest of the questions are cake. (Obviously this is not true for EVERY older game, but was generally true for a lot of them.) This meant that once you had LG down, you really had it down, and you could finish with time to spare every time no problem.

Lately there have been games where a lot more of the questions are local, and you pretty much have to draw out hypothetical situations for most or all of the answer choices to convince yourself you're picking the right answer. Questions like, "If Jack mows on Tuesday, which of the following could mow on Friday?" where you have to check if Jill could mow on Friday, if Kate could mow on Friday, etc etc. There are less key inferences and more focus on figuring out which specific situations are possible and which are not. People who are bad at deductions love this. People who take a long time or write big hate this.

omegaomega

Postby omegaomega » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:15 pm

cc.celina wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

Yeah, this. Basically, in older games, there were usually one or two brilliant deductions you could make ("Oh! Jack has to mow the lawn on Tuesday!") that would make the rest of the game a lot easier. Sometimes you didn't hit that deduction until question 3 of the game, but once you figured it out, the rest of the questions are cake. (Obviously this is not true for EVERY older game, but was generally true for a lot of them.) This meant that once you had LG down, you really had it down, and you could finish with time to spare every time no problem.

Lately there have been games where a lot more of the questions are local, and you pretty much have to draw out hypothetical situations for most or all of the answer choices to convince yourself you're picking the right answer. Questions like, "If Jack mows on Tuesday, which of the following could mow on Friday?" where you have to check if Jill could mow on Friday, if Kate could mow on Friday, etc etc. There are less key inferences and more focus on figuring out which specific situations are possible and which are not. People who are bad at deductions love this. People who take a long time or write big hate this.

I'm among the latter group. How to improve this, both the accuracy and speed, other than drilling more?

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:30 pm

omegaomega wrote:I'm among the latter group. How to improve this, both the accuracy and speed, other than drilling more?

Me too, for sure. I hate the new LG. I had a major scare when I started getting to newer PTs and went from -0ing the section to, on one horrible afternoon that I don't want to talk about, -15. What I was doing wrong: I would go back and forth from the question to the diagram for a good 30 seconds to a minute, trying to figure out what deduction I had missed and, failing that, which answer choice it would be prudent to try first. That turned out to be a mistake, both on questions that didn't have key deductions (most of them) AND on questions that DID have key deductions that I just missed. I got a lot better at literally diving into the hypotheticals for all the answer choices immediately instead of wasting time trying to strategize which ACs to try first. I never got up to my previous speed, and ended up usually finishing LG with a minute or two to spare instead of 8 to 10 min on old LG sections, but it worked for me.

I also got a lot better at organizing my hypotheticals (one thing that the space will really help with). Before I almost never referred back to previous work, mostly because I drew out hypos on random parts of the page and didn't know what the heck I'd been drawing when I came back to it later. It's somewhat important to keep all your work kind of organized so you can at least figure out what you were thinking. It saves a crapload of time on a question like "Which of the following can't happen on Wednesday?" when you have a functioning hypo for an earlier question with one of the incorrect ACs assigned to Wednesday.

Also, get really fucking fast on sequencing games. You're fairly likely (not guaranteed of course) to get one, or a variation of one, and if you can speed through those things in 3 or 4 minutes it really takes the pressure off the other games. This was my saving grace on the june test.

Not sure if you were having any of the same problems, hope some of my experiences helped!

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:42 pm

I see. It looks like it's a bit more formulaic now. I used to be so worried while diagramming -- worried that I miss a key deduction or if I've finished all my inferences or not.

I'm assuming now it's all about diagramming. Hopefully this means that I can literarily not think during the LG section and rely on what I've written down. Which is great because I've always been good at math even though I literarily had no clue what I was doing the whole time.

omegaomega

Postby omegaomega » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:53 pm

cc.celina wrote:
omegaomega wrote:I'm among the latter group. How to improve this, both the accuracy and speed, other than drilling more?

Me too, for sure. I hate the new LG. I had a major scare when I started getting to newer PTs and went from -0ing the section to, on one horrible afternoon that I don't want to talk about, -15. What I was doing wrong: I would go back and forth from the question to the diagram for a good 30 seconds to a minute, trying to figure out what deduction I had missed and, failing that, which answer choice it would be prudent to try first. That turned out to be a mistake, both on questions that didn't have key deductions (most of them) AND on questions that DID have key deductions that I just missed. I got a lot better at literally diving into the hypotheticals for all the answer choices immediately instead of wasting time trying to strategize which ACs to try first. I never got up to my previous speed, and ended up usually finishing LG with a minute or two to spare instead of 8 to 10 min on old LG sections, but it worked for me.

I also got a lot better at organizing my hypotheticals (one thing that the space will really help with). Before I almost never referred back to previous work, mostly because I drew out hypos on random parts of the page and didn't know what the heck I'd been drawing when I came back to it later. It's somewhat important to keep all your work kind of organized so you can at least figure out what you were thinking. It saves a crapload of time on a question like "Which of the following can't happen on Wednesday?" when you have a functioning hypo for an earlier question with one of the incorrect ACs assigned to Wednesday.

Also, get really fucking fast on sequencing games. You're fairly likely (not guaranteed of course) to get one, or a variation of one, and if you can speed through those things in 3 or 4 minutes it really takes the pressure off the other games. This was my saving grace on the june test.

Not sure if you were having any of the same problems, hope some of my experiences helped!

I'll definitely try your method for my retake. I was also torn between finding out the hidden inference and diving into the answers. And yeah, being really solid on the basic types like sequence is almost mandatory in a section with a colored window type of game
Thanks for such a detailed explanation. I wish I could write you a testimony of character or a glowing recommendation or sth alike. But you don't need those with your numbers anyways. lol
Rock in LS and beyond!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”