Help finding a good LSAT prep book Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Steve2207

Bronze

Help finding a good LSAT prep book

Post by Steve2207 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:40 pm

I have been studying with PowerScore’s LG Bible for a few weeks, and it is not very helpful for me. I think it makes the games far too complicated than it needs to be, and after a quick timed test of an old LG section, I am actually getting worse! I think I am going to try the Manhattan series because I have heard they are simpler. Only problem is when I look for the Manhattan books in a bundle I am finding a bunch of different stuff and I do not want to buy something that is the wrong thing. Can anyone direct me to somewhere who will sell the correct books I need at a good price online? Also, are there maybe any better books out there to study with that I haven't heard of yet?

tmon

Silver

Re: Help finding a good LSAT prep book

Post by tmon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Many people, maybe even most, see their games ability decrease while still learning the techniques. It takes a lot of practice to master, more than just a few weeks for most people. I'd recommend sticking to it at this point because with any book you're going to be trying new techniques that take similar amounts of work and practice to master.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:46 pm

tmon wrote:Many people, maybe even most, see their games ability decrease while still learning the techniques. It takes a lot of practice to master, more than just a few weeks for most people. I'd recommend sticking to it at this point because with any book you're going to be trying new techniques that take similar amounts of work and practice to master.
Really? The October exam is still a good way off, Ithought it would be a good startegy to change up now before its too late..I need to pump my score up by atleast ten points from where im practicing, so I can't afford to mke any mistakes.

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Here is the manhattan bundle. While I don't think you're giving powerscore LG enough of a chance, it's always helpful to have two different methods under your belt! You might also want to try Velocity, I hear it's PS's hypo-heavy alternative, which is probably really useful in the recent trend towards annoyingly un-inferable games.

Also, why are there like 382925 people with Harvey as a tar? Mike is better hands down

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
tmon wrote:Many people, maybe even most, see their games ability decrease while still learning the techniques. It takes a lot of practice to master, more than just a few weeks for most people. I'd recommend sticking to it at this point because with any book you're going to be trying new techniques that take similar amounts of work and practice to master.
Really? The October exam is still a good way off, Ithought it would be a good startegy to change up now before its too late..I need to pump my score up by atleast ten points from where im practicing, so I can't afford to mke any mistakes.
It's not making a mistake by practicing, it's taking the time to really develop and understand the method. I'm sure with just 2-3 weeks of any other method under your belt you'd be in the same spot. You really need to practice the techniques quite a bit until they're almost instinct with every game. FWIW, I taught the test to quite a few students, and even the best of them needed more than a few weeks to really "get" why/how you do games certain ways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:58 pm

cc.celina wrote:Here is the manhattan bundle. While I don't think you're giving powerscore LG enough of a chance, it's always helpful to have two different methods under your belt! You might also want to try Velocity, I hear it's PS's hypo-heavy alternative, which is probably really useful in the recent trend towards annoyingly un-inferable games.

Also, why are there like 382925 people with Harvey as a tar? Mike is better hands down
There's no comparison between Mike and Harvey. Harvey is THE man, there's really no contest here.

cgw

Bronze

Post by cgw » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:50 pm

Steve2207 wrote:I have been studying with PowerScore’s LG Bible for a few weeks, and it is not very helpful for me. I think it makes the games far too complicated than it needs to be, and after a quick timed test of an old LG section, I am actually getting worse! I think I am going to try the Manhattan series because I have heard they are simpler. Only problem is when I look for the Manhattan books in a bundle I am finding a bunch of different stuff and I do not want to buy something that is the wrong thing. Can anyone direct me to somewhere who will sell the correct books I need at a good price online? Also, are there maybe any better books out there to study with that I haven't heard of yet?
Are you a visual or auditory learner? I had some trouble implementing some of the things from PS Bible at first, especially since a lot of the time the book diagrams don't (and can't) look like a handwritten diagram. The thing that helped me the most was watching videos of people doing/explaining games. There's some for free on Youtube and I know Manhattan offers a free Workshop where they go over a game.

As far as it being too complicated, don't be afraid to adjust things and use diagrams/symbols that you're more comfortable with, as long as you're consistent. I give the PS Bible a lot of credit, but my diagramming looks much different now than when I first finished that book.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:58 pm

well I bought the manhatten trilogy because of how cheap it was, and I got free shipping. Ithink I spent about the same amount on the whole manhatten series that I did for the Logic games bible alone! That said, Im really hopeful that these books will make a difference, I will keep you all posted.

For the record, HARVEY IS THE MAN!

Ksoria

New

Post by Ksoria » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Steve2207 wrote:I have been studying with PowerScore’s LG Bible for a few weeks, and it is not very helpful for me. I think it makes the games far too complicated than it needs to be, and after a quick timed test of an old LG section, I am actually getting worse! I think I am going to try the Manhattan series because I have heard they are simpler. Only problem is when I look for the Manhattan books in a bundle I am finding a bunch of different stuff and I do not want to buy something that is the wrong thing. Can anyone direct me to somewhere who will sell the correct books I need at a good price online? Also, are there maybe any better books out there to study with that I haven't heard of yet?
I've been studying for LG on and off since January, i did nothing but LG for about three months. I am finally at the most -4 on an LG PT section, considering that on my diagnostic i answered close to none correctly. Keep at it, eventually you'll get better. I also read through the LG bible... twice. I just ordered the manhattan LG book to bring that down to a -0. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”