What to do before the diagnostics? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ijomer

New

What to do before the diagnostics?

Post by ijomer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:55 pm

I am getting ready to write October LSAT, and ive finished LRB and LGB (although i should review LGB to refresh my memory).. And I wanted to write a Diagnostics (my first "Timed" 5 section test) to see how i do, and what are my weaknesses and so on.

But before writing it, what must i complete first?
- Should i take one or more "Untimed" preptests first?
- Should I do individual sections to be familiar first?

Or should i jump right in and do the diagnostics? Basically, what are the rules or expectations to be met before trying a timed diagnostics? Thanks

dowu

Platinum

Re: What to do before the diagnostics?

Post by dowu » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:58 pm

ijomer wrote:I am getting ready to write October LSAT, and ive finished LRB and LGB (although i should review LGB to refresh my memory).. And I wanted to write a Diagnostics (my first "Timed" 5 section test) to see how i do, and what are my weaknesses and so on.

But before writing it, what must i complete first?
- Should i take one or more "Untimed" preptests first?
- Should I do individual sections to be familiar first?

Or should i jump right in and do the diagnostics? Basically, what are the rules or expectations to be met before trying a timed diagnostics? Thanks
There are no rules, dude. You should take the test under timed conditions to see what you're good/bad at. Then go from there. You should also have a plan for which PT you'll start with and which one you'll end with, that way you're not jumping around with some arbitrary order.

Also, REVIEW YOUR PT THOROUGHLY. Know why you got questions wrong and why you got them right; formulate a complete response to each answer choice in order to accomplish this.

Good luck!
Last edited by dowu on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:00 pm

^^True

IMO, you might as well just take the timed diag now.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Nova wrote:^^True

IMO, you might as well just take the timed diag now.
You little....

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:04 pm

sharpen your pencil.

Seriously, you don't truly know where you need to improve without taking a test under the proper conditions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:04 pm

Agreed, but one thing to add: When you run out of time on a section, just mark on your answer sheet where you stopped but keep going until you finish the section, as well as any answers you change after time runs out. This way, you get the benefit of working under time pressure and seeing where your weaknesses are when you're going fast, but you also get to do every question. Keep track of both your timed and untimed scores until you can finish every section comfortably in 35 min. This really helped me out at the beginning of my prep. Plus it's a big motivator to know that you can do better if you just practice enough to get faster! Good luck!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:09 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:sharpen your pencil.
I disagree. I find that a dull pencil fills in Scantron bubbles faster. ;-)

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:14 pm

bp shinners wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:sharpen your pencil.
I disagree. I find that a dull pencil fills in Scantron bubbles faster. ;-)
I hate the way a dull pencil writes though. Like, if I need to diagram a question right quick, I need want that pencil nice and sharp

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Maybe having multiple pencils at different points on the sharp/dull continuum is TCR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Nova wrote:Maybe having multiple pencils at different points on the sharp/dull continuum is TCR.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Nova wrote:Maybe having multiple pencils at different points on the sharp/dull continuum is TCR.
Even better, a two-sided pencil so you don't have to waste time putting one down and picking it up. Not like you can erase on that paper anyway.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:37 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Even better, a two-sided pencil so you don't have to waste time putting one down and picking it up. Not like you can erase on that paper anyway.
Dat efficiency

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Don't really need to do anything except have a copy of a test you haven't seen before, a bubble sheet, pencils, an eraser, and a watch to keep time with.

It's a good idea to drive somewhere and take it away from home, at library, a coffee shop, wherever you wont be tempted to take breaks to fool around with things where you live. Also, turn off your cell phone, or at least turn off the ringer, and ignore calls and txt messages you receive while you are taking it.

Score it after you have completed all the sections, then review the test thoroughly, questions you answered incorrectly as well as ones you got correct but were uncertain about.
Last edited by Jeffort on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:44 pm

bp shinners wrote:
This sounds dangerous, I would definitely poke my eye out

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:55 pm

cc.celina wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
This sounds dangerous, I would definitely poke my eye out
Yeah, I would too, and probably also end up with graphite all over my face and also on my lips and in my mouth. An eraser end is much safer for scratching your face and tastier to suck on/chew on while you think really hard about a question.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:28 pm

I used to use three sharp and one dull

ijomer

New

Post by ijomer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks for the helpful advices. I shall quickly overview LRB and LGB very quick, and then try my first timed diagnostics... October 6th is getting very close!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:41 pm

I believe this is the credited response.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:39 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Image

I believe this is the credited response.
those are the best pencils, IMO. The lead isnt shitty when you're tryign to sharpen it.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:41 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote: those are the best pencils, IMO. The lead isnt shitty when you're tryign to sharpen it.
I actually bought some because the box said "The World's BEST PENCIL"

ijomer

New

Post by ijomer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Pencil discussion aside, during diagnostics (since its first time i'll be taking a timed Preptest like everyone else) it is enevitable that i will run out of time, which is natural due to lack of alot of practice. so if on a section 35 minutes are up, and i didnt get to 3 questions.. should i just leave them? or answer them still?
and when marking my test, should i mark them as well? eventhough it was attempted after the 35 minute limit?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Nova wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote: those are the best pencils, IMO. The lead isnt shitty when you're tryign to sharpen it.
I actually bought some because the box said "The World's BEST PENCIL"
lol me too.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:08 pm

ijomer wrote:Pencil discussion aside, during diagnostics (since its first time i'll be taking a timed Preptest like everyone else) it is enevitable that i will run out of time, which is natural due to lack of alot of practice. so if on a section 35 minutes are up, and i didnt get to 3 questions.. should i just leave them? or answer them still?
and when marking my test, should i mark them as well? eventhough it was attempted after the 35 minute limit?
Count them as missed questions, for scoring purposes. Still do them to see if you missed them, giving yourself only a few minutes to do them.

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:23 pm

ijomer wrote:Pencil discussion aside, during diagnostics (since its first time i'll be taking a timed Preptest like everyone else) it is enevitable that i will run out of time, which is natural due to lack of alot of practice. so if on a section 35 minutes are up, and i didnt get to 3 questions.. should i just leave them? or answer them still?
What am I chop liver :cry:

ijomer

New

Post by ijomer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:45 pm

cc.celina wrote:
What am I chop liver :cry:
oh sorry, you had talked about that.. Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”