Is it normal for your score to marginally improve for

e_mac7

Is it normal for your score to marginally improve for

Postby e_mac7 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:42 pm

the first PT you take timed AFTER finishing the PS LRB? I only raised 1 point. I'm thinking it may be because I'm still applying all the new concepts? Help.

TERS

Re: Is it normal for your score to marginally improve for

Postby TERS » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:50 pm

That depends on what you scored on LR before reading the LRB. For example, if you scored perfect or close to perfect, then of course that would be normal.

I assume you did not score perfect or close to perfect and, in that case, it probably has something to do with your not applying what you've learned.

e_mac7

Postby e_mac7 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:27 am

TERS wrote:That depends on what you scored on LR before reading the LRB. For example, if you scored perfect or close to perfect, then of course that would be normal.

I assume you did not score perfect or close to perfect and, in that case, it probably has something to do with your not applying what you've learned.

I felt like I was actively applying the concepts from the LRB to the questions though, which threw me off guard as to my score because I was doing well in the practice questions inside the LRB as well as on other LR sections I'd been doing for practice.

Oscar85

Postby Oscar85 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:57 am

If I were to venture a guess I would say it's probably the time constraint that threw you off. Despite the fact that you are familiar with the concepts and know how to apply the techniques, being able to manage your time on the LR section is essential. All you can do now is go back and analyze each question, and understand where you went wrong and why you chose a certain wrong answer. I would also suggest doing individual timed LR sections. Be familiar with tricks LSAC employs to get you to choose wrong answers. For example, necessary assumption questions and their tendency to give you answer choices that give you too much, answer choices that weaken instead of strengthen, etc. Just keep practicing, and don't let this marginal increase discourage you.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:22 am

e_mac7 wrote:the first PT you take timed AFTER finishing the PS LRB? I only raised 1 point. I'm thinking it may be because I'm still applying all the new concepts? Help.

If you started prepping recently and just finished reading the LRB, this is normal. It takes time for all the concepts and techniques to sink in and for you to improve your ability at applying them on the fly under time pressure and to get really familiar with the test.

Don't stress, you have plenty of time until the October test.

It is normal for peoples first timed practice test score to stay the same or even go down right after first learning all the basics since you are applying a new way of thinking to the questions, concepts and techniques that are new to you that you need to practice a bunch of times to become fluent with to make them second nature in your approach.

You have to practice and review your mistakes, drill (not always under time pressure), practice and review more, lather rinse repeat. That's the way to substantially improve unless you are one of the super rare 'LSAT naturals' that scores really high on the first timed, simulated test day conditions diagnostic test.

theprophet89

Postby theprophet89 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:38 am

Literally just finished the LRB myself... consistent -15 (total) LR so hopefully I get more than just 1 point improvement.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”