Question about Section 4: Question 22 on the PT58:

RCinDNA

Question about Section 4: Question 22 on the PT58:

Postby RCinDNA » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Hello everyone. I hope someone can help explain why the answer choice is correct in this case, because it seems to me that two answers parallel the flawed reasoning reflected in the question stem.

This was the question: "A book tour will be successful if it is well publicized and the author is an established writer. Julia is an established writer, and her book tour was successful. So her book tour must have been well publicized."

I diagrammed the following conditional reasoning branch:
Well publicized & an established writer ---> successful book tour. Established writer & successful book tour. Therefore, well publicized.

The correct answer choice is (C), which reads: "If cacti are kept in the shade and watered more than twice weekly, they will die. This cactus was kept in the shade, and it is now dead. Therefore, it must have been watered more than twice weekly."

I diagrammed it like so:
Kept in shade & watered more than twice ---> the cacti will die. Kept in shade & the cacti are dead. Therefore, watered more than twice.

I can see how that answer parallels the reasoning in the stimulus, however answer choice (A) looks very similar to (C) even after diagramming.

Choice (A) read as: "This recipe will turn out only if one follows it exactly and uses high-quality ingredients. Arthur followed the recipe exactly and it turned out. Thus, Arthur must have used high-quality ingredients." and I diagrammed it as: Followed exactly & use high quality ---> turn out. Followed exactly & turned out. Therefore, must have used high-quality ingredients.

I am not seeing the difference between Answers (A) and (C) so can't understand why (C) is correct. Was this question removed from a test or am I missing something?

theprophet89

Re: Question about Section 4: Question 22 on the PT58:

Postby theprophet89 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:20 pm

"Will turn out ONLY". Stimulus simply states that it will be successful if, not ONLY if.
Last edited by theprophet89 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Wow, hidden in plain sight. Thank you!

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:58 pm

Way to quote Prophet, more work for admins.

But to be more helpful, both of you edit so that you do not infringe on LSAC copyrights. Give us PT/Section/Question and we can find it ourselves.

theprophet89

Postby theprophet89 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Done. Thanks for heads up.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”