Is it likely/ possible?

Adam Banks

Is it likely/ possible?

Postby Adam Banks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm aiming for a 170 on the October LSAT. My initial diagnostic was a 156. I plan on studying about 25 hours a week until the test. I have purchased all the bibles and the two corresponding workbooks, as well as the super prep, and the whole "actual lsat" series. My weakness is LR I missed 18 on the diagnostic. I know since this is the biggest part of the test it will produce the biggest gain. I missed 0 on the LG and hardly miss any LG questions since starting to study in mid June. Is a 170 an unreasonable target?

Any thoughts?

Nova

Re: Is it likely/ possible?

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:35 pm

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Larger jumps have been seen (I personally jumped 25 points from diagnostic to test day). Just concentrate on your studying, keep your goal in mind, and I would not be surprised if you got there! Good luck!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:37 pm

It's certainly doable, although unfortunately the easiest section to improve on is LG, and you've already maxed that out.

156 is a solid diagnostic. Plenty of people have gotten over 170 from there.

Was that 156 a timed test? If it was timed, how did you do with the time restraints? Any sections you had trouble finishing?

lederhosen

Postby lederhosen » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Last edited by lederhosen on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Diagnostic does not show you your ceiling, just how far you have to go. But just for some peace of mind, I diag'd at 158, was PTing in the mid 170s but bombed the June test and got a 169. So yeah, from where you are a 170+ is definitely possible. You've got plenty of time until October, just drill baby drill.

Adam Banks

Postby Adam Banks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:25 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:It's certainly doable, although unfortunately the easiest section to improve on is LG, and you've already maxed that out.

Was that 156 a timed test? If it was timed, how did you do with the time restraints? Any sections you had trouble finishing?

It wasn't strict timed but I tried to go decently fast knowing I would not have all the time in the world come actual test day.

I think my biggest problem was using real world scenarios to make inferences in the questions.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Abisping wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:It's certainly doable, although unfortunately the easiest section to improve on is LG, and you've already maxed that out.

It wasn't strict timed but I tried to go decently fast knowing I would not have all the time in the world come actual test day.

I think my biggest problem was using real world scenarios to make inferences in the questions.
Hm. Untimed is a problem. It's likely not a true diagnostic score. Nearly everyone would score much better if they were given extra time.

That doesn't mean you should feel hopeless, but recognize that getting a 156 on a strictly timed test is very different from taking 40 minutes per section or more. Even an extra minute or two can have an effect.

Adam Banks

Postby Adam Banks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Abisping wrote:

Hm. Untimed is a problem. It's likely not a true diagnostic score. Nearly everyone would score much better if they were given extra time.

That doesn't mean you should feel hopeless, but recognize that getting a 156 on a strictly timed test is very different from taking 40 minutes per section or more. Even an extra minute or two can have an effect.

I think my score is still in that ball park of a 156 because the ones I missed were the last ones, both LR and RC, since I started rushing knowing I was taking to long. I figure even if I timed myself I'd still get pretty close to the mid 150's, because I missed the last 5 in the first LR section and the last 8 in the second section, and RC I missed the last 6. So where most of my right answers came I would have been in the 35 minute mark. LG aren't a problem though because I've started timing myself and getting -0 in about about 9 minutes

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Abisping wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Abisping wrote:

I think my score is still in that ball park of a 156 because the ones I missed were the last ones, both LR and RC, since I started rushing knowing I was taking to long. I figure even if I timed myself I'd still get pretty close to the mid 150's, because I missed the last 5 in the first LR section and the last 8 in the second section, and RC I missed the last 6. So where most of my right answers came I would have been in the 35 minute mark. LG aren't a problem though because I've started timing myself and getting -0 in about about 9 minutes

so do it...

QuincyWagstaff

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:34 pm

Shoot for a 180.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”