October 2012 Retakers

jjrialva

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby jjrialva » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:08 pm

OnTheRise wrote:Anybody got any advice on how to deal with test day anxiety? I am well prepared and consistently scoring 170+ but I am really starting to freak out. I was in a similar situation last time I took the test and completely choked and I am afraid that the same thing will happen again.

Sometimes I like to look at LSN numbers... and see where am going to end up if I don't take my score up... that used to pump me a lot but now it has backfired on me

Jake Wyler

Postby Jake Wyler » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:20 pm

OnTheRise wrote:Anybody got any advice on how to deal with test day anxiety? I am well prepared and consistently scoring 170+ but I am really starting to freak out. I was in a similar situation last time I took the test and completely choked and I am afraid that the same thing will happen again.

It might be kind of obvious, but make sure you think positive, not negative. On my college football team, we would have psychologists come talk to us. For us corners and safeties they always used to tell us NOT to say "don't get beat deep". If you think "don't get beat deep" then what happens? you're already thinking about getting beat, then a receiver gets behind you and you're deafeated before the play even begins. But if you think "keep the play in front of you", then you're always thinking about making a positive play, instead of not making a negative play. Different thoughts for the same concept, but it helps you stay in the game mentally.

I apply the same thing for thing for the LSAT. Don't think "don't freak out" because the topic is freaking out and you're already beat, think "focus". Don't think ohmygod, I got crushed on that game/passage, now I'm going to get a (undesirable score X). Keep the test in front of you (metaphorically), and think about stacking 25 point section on top of 25 point section. Don't worry about getting questions wrong, just stay in the moment and focus on getting questions right.

Tuco Salamanca

Postby Tuco Salamanca » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:27 pm

Being worried that it will happen again will cause it to happen again. Be confident in your abilities.

Postby 052220151 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Chambo wrote:
deputydog wrote:It's official, I'm burnt out. I only had one PT planned this week, but I decided to cancel it. Monday night football, a couple beers and a week of relaxation I think will do me more good than taking a test I can't focus on. I hate to do this, this late in the game... but I feel it's the only thing to do. Please give me reassurances or kicks in the ass, I need advice.

An entire week off seems like a bit much. Maybe try to squeeze a test in Wednesday or Thursday to make sure you don't lose your touch?

Just to clarify, I still plan on drilling, just no tests.

ALgooner

Postby ALgooner » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Just took PT 63...got my highest score ever by some margin!

LR1: -1
LG:-6
LR2:-3
RC:-3

Scaled: 168 (previous high was a 164)

I think this test catered to my strengths, though. I am generally terrible at LG and good at RC, and this PT seemed to have an easy games section (that I still missed 6 shows you how bad I am at games; I basically missed the entire last game) and a difficult reading section. I also tried a new strategy on LR that I have seen some people on here talk about. I did Q's 15-25 first, and then went back and did 1-14. I found I really liked this strategy, because I was completely focused when doing the hardest problems, and the test got significantly easier as the time was running out and my attention was waning. However, I also felt like LR is general was easy on this PT.

I am just frustrated because it seems like no matter how hard I practice LG, I don't improve that much. If I could fix LG, I would actually have a decent shot at scoring in the 170's.

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Honestly anxiety rears its head because you care way too much to the extent that you freak out about whether or not youre gonna score as well as you think you need to. I am a good test taker, have never gotten freaked out over an exam, although I do get pissed off during some but it doesnt throw me. My attitude has just always been "so what if I dont do as well as I would like". Its not like the world is going to end if I score a 166 (previous best) as opposed to a 170 (aiming for this). Apathy can be your best friend when you need to relax a bit. You know what I'm gonna do if I do well on the test, go out with my friends and get hammer drunk. You know what I'm gonna do if I feel like I bomb the test, go out with my friends and get hammer drunk. Life goes on regardless, its always important to keep that in perspective.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:50 pm

PT 64 today

DISCLOSURE: I felt I remembered some questions more than I normally did so that may have helped, also I took the test early in the moring and was out of it for first two sections and ran over 2.5 mins for LG so my true score on LG should be about a -3 instead of -0.

LR: -3
LG:-0
LR: -0
exp LG
RC: -1

scaled: 178 (175 if I called time strictly for LG)

I feel very, very good. So grateful!

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Br3v wrote:PT 64 today

DISCLOSURE: I felt I remembered some questions more than I normally did so that may have helped, also I took the test early in the moring and was out of it for first two sections and ran over 2.5 mins for LG so my true score on LG should be about a -3 instead of -0.

exp LG

Good work! RC killed me on that one (-6).

What time in the morning did you take it? If we have to be at the test center by 8:30, I'm figuring we'll start around 9:00, and I'm trying to plan my gameday schedule accordingly.

VUSisterRayVU

Postby VUSisterRayVU » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Chambo wrote:
Br3v wrote:PT 64 today

exp LG

Good work! RC killed me on that one (-6).

What time in the morning did you take it? If we have to be at the test center by 8:30, I'm figuring we'll start around 9:00, and I'm trying to plan my gameday schedule accordingly.

It'll be an hour+ before you start.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Chambo wrote:What time in the morning did you take it? If we have to be at the test center by 8:30, I'm figuring we'll start around 9:00, and I'm trying to plan my gameday schedule accordingly.
Oh wtf? I thought we had to get there at 7:45ish...I've been prepping for an 8:45 start time. Crap...

bondja

Postby bondja » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:56 pm

To all my study partners and/or people I've talked to about retaking the test.

I stated quickly after we all got our scores back from the June test that I would retake in October and I am now respectfully withdrawing my test taking for October.

I'm getting married in May and want to take a year away from everything to save up money for law school and to focus on my marriage for the first year. I just recently, about a month ago, received a new job as a Legal Assistant, like a paralegal except I don't have a fancy title nor dollar/hour, which has given me much insight to what is beyond law school. I can say this truthfully, that I am excited for what lays on the other side and I'm happy for everyone in their continuing effort to obtain their J.D. and then some.

I will be studying starting at a random day this month for a whole year until the next October test date for my enrollment into law school in fall of 2014. I wish you all luck and wish I would've stuck around to get to know you guys more but, hey, life happens.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Is it a bad idea to take & review PT66 on Friday? I'm reviewing the LRB tonight, taking & reviewing PT65 tomorrow, and reviewing LGB/RCB on Wednesday. I'm also drilling one LG section first thing every morning from here on out (including test day) from PT45-49. I don't feel burnt out (or close to it) - but I may also be in denial...

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Being exactly 1 year from that terrible day back in October of yesteryear, I thought it fitting to bust out PT64 for some revenge.

Last looked at about half the test half-heartedly sometime in February I want to say? Haven't touched it since. Didn't even save the pdf from LSAC so when I did try to revisit it after, it was too late.

Random LG section: -0
PT#64
LG: -0
LR: -2 (the 2 questions I missed were both circled, didn't have enough time to go over them)
RC: -3 (Missed #1. Always pisses me off. Will take -3 on RC any day at any point on any test)
Raw: 96
Scaled: 177

Feels great. After 167 on test day last year, it's nice to see an improvement even if at worst it all came from a familiarity with the questions.

Going to drill LG and LR tomorrow. Happy with performance, but finishing at 34 minutes almost every time is still a concern.
PT 65 Wednesday
PT 66 Thursday
Light RC drilling/review of PTs 65/66 Friday

and here we go on saturday.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:53 pm

PT66 - the finale

RCx (Feb97): -2
RC: -5
LR: -4
LG: -0 (all that space was jarring)
LR: -2
Scaled Score: 169

Learned many many things today, especially my gameday routine, but no excuses, the real problem is eased off the pedal this past week. When I earlier said my LG and LR are what they are...that's bullshit, each section must be treated like a live bomb and not taken for granted. If you aren't sharpening your skills, they are dulling. I originally had Friday planned for a day off, but I think I'm better off studying still. I tried going with the no-annotation which had been working well drilling older RC's (worked okay for PT21.5) but I think I'm better off with some annotation for the newer RC's.

That said, I have PT's 43,44,46,50(seen a year ago)...should I do those or redo the 60's which I've seen all in the last month?

rakeshow

Postby rakeshow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:53 pm

i find myself constantly thinking "if i got this raw score that i just got... what scaled score might that be on saturday... whats the curve going to be.." :/

having to go around -2 in each section compared to -3 is actually a big difference...
especially when i am kicking myself for failing to notice something and answer incorrectly even though i have time left to spare

WDH

Postby WDH » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:29 am

Hey maybe you guys can give me some advice. I currently only have practice tests prior to PT56. And in those 50's I have been consistently scoring high 160's low 170's. I want to maintain there as much as possible. Should I continue with the remaining PT's that I have, or should I buy a couple of the PT's in the 60's? My weakest point is definitely RC if that has any affect on your opinion. My first official test was Oct 2011 (PT 64), which I got a 161 on, and I'm retaking on Saturday.

Thanks! I've been enjoying lurking on this thread, it helps to know other people are just as stressed (or more so) as me!

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:45 am

WDH wrote:Hey maybe you guys can give me some advice. I currently only have practice tests prior to PT56. And in those 50's I have been consistently scoring high 160's low 170's. I want to maintain there as much as possible. Should I continue with the remaining PT's that I have, or should I buy a couple of the PT's in the 60's? My weakest point is definitely RC if that has any affect on your opinion. My first official test was Oct 2011 (PT 64), which I got a 161 on, and I'm retaking on Saturday.

Thanks! I've been enjoying lurking on this thread, it helps to know other people are just as stressed (or more so) as me!

Buy new ones, no doubt. Tests have somewhat changed from 57+, see how you do/prep the newer tests.

WDH

Postby WDH » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:51 am

sinfiery wrote:Buy new ones, no doubt. Tests have somewhat changed from 57+, see how you do/prep the newer tests.

Ok, any recommendations on which? I don't plan on doing more than a few.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:55 am

WDH wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Buy new ones, no doubt. Tests have somewhat changed from 57+, see how you do/prep the newer tests.

Ok, any recommendations on which? I don't plan on doing more than a few.

Since you were Oct2011, 66 and 65 definitely. I figure the more recent, the better.

PT 62 has the stained glass logic games scenario on there, that seemed to trip some people up so that may be good practice.
Or 63/61.

Probably want to get at least 66/65 under your belt, completed and reviewed. If you have time from that point, choose another 60s PT except PT64

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:16 am

Hey so I am currently registered to take the LSAT for my second time this weekend but I am having doubts about my ability to get a higher score. I am a splitter (170/3.2) so every point counts. My concern is that if I score worst I don't want this to make my applications less competitive. I have already sent in the majority of my applications so I don't even know if those schools will get my new score unless I send it to them. So I was wondering what the general consensus is about retaking in my situation where I already have a strong lsat but would like a few extra points but am not certain I can get those points. Will it harm my cycle if I get a lower score?

seacow

Postby seacow » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:42 am

Just took PT62

RC: -5
LR: -6
-
LG: -0
LR: -1

90/102, 172

Brutal. But tons of distractions during part 1, which was already brutal. Crushed part 2, finished LR with 4 minutes to spare.

I'm excited, though. This test was a novel as it gets for me, only very few parts were vaguely familiar. I think in many ways this was my worst-case scenario test, and I got a score I'd be very happy with.

A few more days. Let's do work, all.

Volforlife

Postby Volforlife » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:36 pm

PT 66 this morning
94/100 = 174

RC -2
LR -1
LRx ?
LG -2
LR -1

Made the same error during LG as I did in June (took too long on the first game), but I was able to salvage (down from -7 in June). Still, gonna hit the LG hard for the next couple of days to make sure I'm ready for Saturday. No way I should be missing two questions after all the LG work I've done.

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Pt 65 today!

LR1: -0
LR2: -1
LG: -1 :evil: I hate missing even one on LG
RC: -3

Raw: 97
Scaled: 178 :D

Pleased to be back to where I want to be scoring right before the test.

All -3 in RC were from the comparative passage. I had marked all of them as uncertain but ran out of time to look back at them

Only pt 66 left for Thursday then on to the real deal Sat. So ready for this test!

FYI
This is my 180th post and last night I had multiple dreams about getting a 180 without any bad dreams about test day.

Taking this as a sign of success :)

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Nickg415 wrote:Hey so I am currently registered to take the LSAT for my second time this weekend but I am having doubts about my ability to get a higher score. I am a splitter (170/3.2) so every point counts. My concern is that if I score worst I don't want this to make my applications less competitive. I have already sent in the majority of my applications so I don't even know if those schools will get my new score unless I send it to them. So I was wondering what the general consensus is about retaking in my situation where I already have a strong lsat but would like a few extra points but am not certain I can get those points. Will it harm my cycle if I get a lower score?

I don't think anyone here can accurately answer that question without spending a long time doing it. It probably depends on several factors including how much lower you get, which institutions you're applying to, and other soft factors that go into how much weight an LSAT gets relative to the rest of the application.

That being said, I'm retaking a 172 and having a similar dilemma. My thought is that I know what it's like to score a 177-180 and I know what it's like to score a 170-174. It's very rare (it hasn't happened yet) that I feel like I got a really high score and I answer more than 3 questions incorrectly (for the whole test) that I thought I got right. So I plan to take it, judge how I feel about it, and then perhaps cancel if it didn't go so well.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Gisney wrote:Pt 65 today!

LR1: -0
LR2: -1
LG: -1 :evil: I hate missing even one on LG
RC: -3

Raw: 97
Scaled: 178 :D

Pleased to be back to where I want to be scoring right before the test.

All -3 in RC were from the comparative passage. I had marked all of them as uncertain but ran out of time to look back at them

Only pt 66 left for Thursday then on to the real deal Sat. So ready for this test!

FYI
This is my 180th post and last night I had multiple dreams about getting a 180 without any bad dreams about test day.

Taking this as a sign of success :)

Score twin. I just took it now and went -2 and -2 on LR with my -1 on RC (also third passage I think... that weird last question with the most analogous part). Feeling good for Saturday!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”