October 2012 Retakers

sinfiery

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby sinfiery » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:52 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
It really wasn't that bad, was it? All these games I hear about that are super hard (mauve dinos, island game) really don't seem to be that bad to me. Now seats on a bus... that was actually a hellish game.

Yeah, it wasn't. I mean, it was definitely harder than other games. It took me longer to complete than average (12 minutes, albeit the first 3 spent doing nothing) but once you got the general rules of the game down, it was just like anything else. You can be 100% sure you have the right answer, and you just attack it question by question.

PT 63 either tonight or tomorrow morning. Depending on the RC/LR I guess I'll drill 1 of each of those sections next and then it's back to PTing, this time I will introduce bubbling into my routine. Haven't yet. There goes another 45 seconds at least per section. Should be interesting.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:54 am

may drop by for tom's review.

recent pattern: on LR i only tend to miss Principle Strengthen, Weaken, and Flaw questions. 13 days...still plenty of time.

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:14 am

99.9luft wrote:may drop by for tom's review.

recent pattern: on LR i only tend to miss Principle Strengthen, Weaken, and Flaw questions. 13 days...still plenty of time.

Those were the only few I was missing before the June test, particularly the weaken/strengthen.

What helped me was making sure I focused on the conclusion with those two because either way it must directly effect the outcome.

Good luck!

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:18 am

Slacked today because had family in town I had not seen in a year and then I had work from 3:30pm till 1am.

No more of that!

Just two weeks everyone and the LSAT pt bonfires can commence!!! 8)

The agenda for the next two weeks for me is:

PT 61-66
Days off of pts are for timed sections and review of missed answers

What is everyone else up to for the next couple of weeks?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:05 am

Gisney wrote:Slacked today because had family in town I had not seen in a year and then I had work from 3:30pm till 1am.

No more of that!

Just two weeks everyone and the LSAT pt bonfires can commence!!! 8)

The agenda for the next two weeks for me is:

PT 61-66
Days off of pts are for timed sections and review of missed answers

What is everyone else up to for the next couple of weeks?

Thanks for your post, Gisney! :)

My plan is somewhat similar. Got several PTs in the 60s to go (heavy review, light PT mode now - definitely don't wanna burn out by doing a PT-per-day routine), with the last PT to be taken on Oct 4.

Other than PTs, doing LR sections from the 50s and 40s + re-doing individual games (not entire sections) from PT1-39 on which i got at least 1 wrong earlier in the prep cycle.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:48 am

Just finished PT63:
-1 LR1
-0 LG
-1 LR 2
-3 RC (2 missed on the last passage, argh.)

175 scaled

One shockingly stupid mistake on LR1, one terrible answer (imo) on LR2.
Wouldn't mind joining in for the review but I have to work at that time tomorrow.

I barely finish each section with time to spare and haven't been bubbling in a sheet, so time is still on the top of my list of concerns along with RC. Hopefully an increase in sheer volume this next week will aide dramatically in that effort. Cut it close on prep tests and the real deal last October with time, but left nothing blank or rushed.
Next 2 weeks:
In this order:
Will drill on 10 more RC sections from tests I've taken 1 year ago
Complete 4 old tests I prepped on ~1 year ago
Drill on 5 RC and 5 LR sections from tests I've already taken.
Take PTs 64, 65 and 66 on Oct 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Haven't decided what to do on the 5th yet.

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:18 am

sinfiery wrote:Haven't decided what to do on the 5th yet.

I took the day off work and scheduled a massage for the 5th. (After I PT, of course....) 8)

Volforlife

Postby Volforlife » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:19 pm

PT 61 this morning
98/101 = 179

RC -0
LR -0
LGx -1
LG -1
LR -2

This LG section made me sweat, which I'm honestly ok with. Got off to a slow start on the first two games and had to rush on the final two, which may have something to do with the mental lapse that caused me to forget a rule on the last game. Still, I would rather be challenged and do well on LG than feel like it's easy, because I don't want to get lazy.

Hope everyone is having a good and (somewhat) productive weekend.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Just retook 66 for a 176 (168 in June):

X: PT40 LG -0 (zephyr game wtf.jpg)
LR1: -1
LR2: -0
RC: -2
LG: -2

After being so strong on LG for so long, kind of disappointed to see 2 mistakes in that LG, but I didn't repeat any mistakes from June, so these were five new questions that I missed. I probably would have had -0 LG if I had taken this section for the first time without the dreaded #17 that was thrown out, but since it was a retake, I usually don't give myself double check time whenever I have time leftover, and I finished the games here in about 25 minutes.

I really felt confident in the RC, and I'm pretty okay with a -2, even though I remembered vividly a at least one or two of the early questions I missed in June. I really feel like all the drilling in RC has elevated my game a lot and it feels like it's really starting to pay off. I don't fear RC at all like I used to, and my scores for the most part have been consistently better. The RC in 66 really seemed on par with that of 63 (very easy), which I -3'd, so it felt good to go -2 even though it was a retake.

I can't complain much about the -1 in LR, although I'm sure it was some silly oversight.

I would be okay with a 176 on test day. BRING THAT SHIT ON!

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:45 pm

Honey_Badger wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Haven't decided what to do on the 5th yet.

I took the day off work and scheduled a massage for the 5th. (After I PT, of course....) 8)

I'm going bowling and going to a movie.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:25 pm

http://tinychat.com/octoberdestroyers

Review room for PT 63 is up.

Pocahontas

Postby Pocahontas » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:38 pm

Ahhhh!!! Finally broke through! 171!!!!!!!!

*jigs up and down your computer screen*

Words just can't describe how I feel right now, lol.

PT63
LR1: -2
LG: -3
LR2: -2

I know I have still have plenty of work to do, but this couldn't have come at a better time. I was beginning to get discouraged. This is just the kick I need to keep pushing. Are you all still doing the review tonight? I would love some help working through that last game.

Pocahontas

Postby Pocahontas » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:39 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:http://tinychat.com/octoberdestroyers

Review room for PT 63 is up.

Oh, great! I'm going to head home and join in shortly.

andreskicdo

Postby andreskicdo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:42 am

Awesome got the same score!

RC -0
LR -2
LRX -1
LG -5 (read incorrectly one of the rules and messed up the last game)
LR -3

Not too sad with the 170 and if I can maintain all other scores and avoid an LG disaster like this Oct 6 should not be too bad.

deputydog wrote:Just took a PT. I thought I totally shit the bed and was clawing my eyes out. Then I was surprisingly okay with my score.

PT 54

RC -5 (Jesus christ)
LR X (I don't have the answer key to it, so I'll never know)
LR -2

15 Minute Break

LG - 0
LR -3

Then with a pretty tough curve of -10, I managed to get a 170. I am going crazy with these things and I can no longer gauge how I did on each section. I always know LG is -0 or -1, but I though I killed the RC and bombed the last LR (like -10). Turns out it was the reverse. I really wish October 6th would just get here, but I am going to use every last day to get more consistent and hopefully continually break the 175 mark until it I get it on PT 67.

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:17 pm

PT 61 today

LR1: -0
LG: -0
RC: -3

Raw: 98
Scaled: 179

Maybe could have been a 180 if it were not for the endless round of chatter from everyone else in the library. RC was my first section and it took be awhile to tune everyone out.

Anyway I guess if testing day conditions are not the best then I should be okay based on the crap study enviroment I had today :)

I feel ready for test day. I just hope I don't have a weird freakout moment on test day like I did last June. I ended up crazily missing 6 on the LG. But I have been doing what I can to prepare. Last time my set up was LR-LR-LR-RC-LG and I think I was just burned out by the time I got to LG so I have tried to prepare myself for that. Also the two page set up will not be a suprise like it was last time. I seriously paused for a good 15 sec thinking I had a screwed up test.

Does anyone know for sure if the LG in OCT will be two pages for each game?

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Gisney wrote:

Yeah, they released a statement shortly after pt66

Did they happen to say why they did this? Jw.

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:13 pm

CalAlumni wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
Gisney wrote:

Yeah, they released a statement shortly after pt66

Did they happen to say why they did this? Jw.

I read somewhere it was to give more space for diagrams and to be helpful.

I would have found it more helpful if they had warned us that it was changing.

Oh well prepared for it now :roll:

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:25 am

Gisney wrote:PT 61 today

LR1: -0

Raw: 98
Scaled: 179

Maybe could have been a 180 if it were not for the endless round of chatter from everyone else in the library. RC was my first section and it took be awhile to tune everyone out.

Anyway I guess if testing day conditions are not the best then I should be okay based on the crap study enviroment I had today :)

I feel ready for test day. I just hope I don't have a weird freakout moment on test day like I did last June. I ended up crazily missing 6 on the LG. But I have been doing what I can to prepare. Last time my set up was LR-LR-LR-RC-LG and I think I was just burned out by the time I got to LG so I have tried to prepare myself for that. Also the two page set up will not be a suprise like it was last time. I seriously paused for a good 15 sec thinking I had a screwed up test.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been studying for this thing?

You can PM me if you want.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:40 am

Oh man, no work today, so lotta prep..

Order:
Random LG Section -0

PT42:
LR: -1
LR: -2
If LG was -0, it would be a 176. I felt great, thought it was a easy test. All the questions I missed, I thought were largely based on lapses in concentration.

PT43:
RC: -4
LR: -0
LR: -4
LR1 on this test was one of the easiest I've ever done, LR2 was decently difficult, but after reviewing it, it didn't seem so bad. Just some distinctions I didn't make here and there. RC wasn't bad, stupid mistakes.
174 if I -0 LG
PT44:
RC: -4
LR: -3
I thought both of these sections were stupidly difficult so I just called it quits. Took 3 hours off, then did the last LR section.
LR: -1
Felt good, stupid mistake on the -1.
172 if I -0 LG

As the day went on, the scores got worse and everything felt harder and harder..lol.. 10 sections in 1 day...9 with a max of 15 minute break in between.
Never again! But glad I got the experience under my belt.

Time to review all of these...

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:33 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been studying for this thing?

You can PM me if you want.

It's not a secret :)

I have been studying off and on for a year.

I originally planned on the Feb '12 exam so I started studying in August '11 but stopped in the beginning of Dec. So for the first four months all I did was read all the material, drill extensively and I took about 6 PTs. My original cold diagnostic was 163 and I was testing 168-169 by Dec.

Life happened and I decided to take the June '12 test instead and stopped studying for awhile. I picked back up in March where I reread notes, drilled and started pting heavily. Right before the test I was averaging 170-172. I ended up with a 169 on test day.

I took June and July off because I was in Scotland.

Started back in August and was pting straight off in the 178-180 range.

So I have been studying off and on for a year but really 9 months of semi regular studying.

seacow

Postby seacow » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:39 am

Sept 2009, PT58

RCX: -3
-
-

94/101, 173

Followed last week's 180 with a 173 on Friday and a 173 today. Stoked with the consistent numbers. I finished both LRs with a few minutes to spare and didn't go back to recheck. I did go back and change one answer (from right to wrong, it should be said) in RC. I think there was minimum score inflation, the test was only very vaguely familiar and very rarely helped with my comprehension of the texts. I'm also hitting the very difficult RC sections and hitting them with much, much less than -10 wrong (which I got in June - -13 RC in Dec 2011). If I get -5 with -6 combined LR and -0/1 in LGs, I'm very happy. At this point it looks like this is reachable.

-

How is everyone nerve-wise? I'm super relaxed, hope I can carry this on until test day.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Took PT64 yesterday (167) , and an LR section from 56. (-5/-6 on 64, -0 on 56).
I can't seem to perfect LR on PTs 60+

With less than two weeks I'm panicking. It's my third and final shot -- help. :!:

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:46 pm

espressocream wrote:Took PT64 yesterday (167) , and an LR section from 56. (-5/-6 on 64, -0 on 56).

With less than two weeks I'm panicking. It's my third and final shot -- help. :!:

Are you running out of time? Where do your misses tend to be?

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Wormfather wrote:169 on PT62. Not pissed, not pleased either. 16 wrong on a PT is unacceptable, I dont care what they say the curve is. Also, gotta work on the new games some more (PT59+) that mini freak out cost me 5 points (173).

That's a good mindset to have (not caring about the curve). I was absolutely wrecked by PT65's RC, and checked the June 2012 study thread to see that a lot of others found it difficult too. I know I shouldn't take that as an excuse tho, if anyone can do well on that section..then its possible, and that's what I need to strive for!

In regards to the games, there's a few in the 20's and 30's that I found to be great practice for 60's. As I was drilling them they definitely have that modern feel of not being able to put too many things onto main diagram. Nowadays on the new PT's I always get this "I've seen this before" feeling.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:12 pm

chadbrochill wrote:
espressocream wrote:Took PT64 yesterday (167) , and an LR section from 56. (-5/-6 on 64, -0 on 56).

Are you running out of time? Where do your misses tend to be?

Not running out of time, I guess these newer PTs feel trickier? Or maybe I've psyched myself out?
It's a lot of unexpected weaken questions. Questions where nothing really feels right at first glance -- if that makes sense?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”