October 2012 Retakers

Volforlife

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby Volforlife » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:58 pm

PT 58 = 178. Worried that this might be due to inflation from June studying, but screw it I don't care because it's my third 178 in this round of PTs and the second of my last three. Celebratory alcohol.

LR -1
RC -0
RCx -4
LG -0
LR -2

Volforlife

Postby Volforlife » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:36 pm

PT 59 this morning for a 178. Seems like I can't break through the 178 barrier to 180 land (3 out of last 4). Any advice on cleaning up those last couple of questions needed to push me over the top? I would love to see one on these last several tests.

LG -0
LR -1
LRx -2
LR -2
RC -2

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Volforlife wrote:PT 59 this morning for a 178. Seems like I can't break through the 178 barrier to 180 land (3 out of last 4). Any advice on cleaning up those last couple of questions needed to push me over the top? I would love to see one on these last several tests.

LG -0
LR -1
LRx -2
LR -2
RC -2

That is my exact problem, dude. 177s out the yin yang, can't seem to break through. Just keep at it, and view each question as an enemy to be conquered.

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:05 pm

PT 60 today

LR1: -0
LR2: -0
LG: -0
RC: -2

Raw: 97
Scaled: 180

Yay for the 180!

RC was my last passage to grade so I was disappointed I missed a chance to get a perfect -0 on all sections. Oh well. Still love the result! :D

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:09 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Volforlife wrote:PT 59 this morning for a 178. Seems like I can't break through the 178 barrier to 180 land (3 out of last 4). Any advice on cleaning up those last couple of questions needed to push me over the top? I would love to see one on these last several tests.

LG -0
LR -1
LRx -2
LR -2
RC -2

That is my exact problem, dude. 177s out the yin yang, can't seem to break through. Just keep at it, and view each question as an enemy to be conquered.

Yea I don't think there is any little trick or some study method to help with this. The is just a concentration issue and a little but of luck.

You know your stuff but maybe lose focus on some questions. Also sometimes you get a couple bitch questions in a row.

So Noodley is right. Just treat each question like missing it would be the end of the world!

Jake Wyler

Postby Jake Wyler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:08 pm

PT 56 yesterday

LR1 -5
RC -6
LR2 -3
LG -1

85 raw, 165 scaled. First PT in a week or so, and it shows. Got at least 6 questions wrong in LR and RC after narrowing it down to two contenders, but picking the wrong one. Need to work on endurance and focus (especially in RC), and will start taking 5 and 6 section tests.

(also, the curve differences are a real pain. 86 right for a 171 on 1 test, 85 right for a 165 on another wtf? Obvi just need to aim for like a 95 raw)

Volforlife

Postby Volforlife » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:11 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Volforlife wrote:
PT 59 this morning for a 178. Seems like I can't break through the 178 barrier to 180 land (3 out of last 4). Any advice on cleaning up those last couple of questions needed to push me over the top? I would love to see one on these last several tests.

LG -0
LR -1
LRx -2
LR -2
RC -2

Yea I don't think there is any little trick or some study method to help with this. The is just a concentration issue and a little but of luck.

You know your stuff but maybe lose focus on some questions. Also sometimes you get a couple bitch questions in a row.

So Noodley is right. Just treat each question like missing it would be the end of the world!

Yea, I agree that attention has much to do with it. Dammit it's hard to give all 125ish question my full undivided attention. Also, when studying for June, I had a hard time finishing sections, so I focused heavily on increasing my speed. Now I usually finish sections with 5-10 minutes remaining. I need to learn that I can afford to spend some more time on questions.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Took PT 61
RC: -5
LR: -1
LR: -2

93 - 173 scaled

RC is still the biggest variable in my scores.

If I miss -0-2, I feel I can score a 178+ but at the same time, it can bring me down to a 170 easily and if I'm not on my A game for other sections, it could really be devastating.

I obtained 10 tests I've taken before to study with over a year ago and started to take the RC and LG sections from them.

So far I did
PT 39
LG -0 (33 minutes)
RC -3 (35:30)
and
PT 53
LG: -0 (31 minutes)
RC: -8 (36 minutes)
Man, RC is just heart breaking...at least I feel comfortable with LG once again. The old LG tests are basically a joke after you've gone through a couple of the new ones so I'm not ready for test day yet, but not concerned about it.

Going to try to get 3 RC and 3 more LG done today. I am just starting to pick up studying so not even close to burned out.(Big plus!)
Interesting if I can do anything to make RC more consistent.
I've tried the Atlas RC book which helped me realize I was reading too fast so that definitely helped me improve my RC scores from always around -4 - -8 to anywhere from -1 - -8 now.
But the consistency is just not there..

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Took PT64, this is my first time seeing this since taking it 1 year ago as an official test.

PT64:
LG exp: -0
LR:-0
LG:-2
LR:-2
RC:-5
Scaled Score: 173

In a moment of hubris, I decided to plow through all 5 sections with only a few seconds in-between each and I definitely felt my focus wane by the time I got to RC. I bizarrely missed #1 and #2 on the easiest passage and took way longer than it deserved.

Definitely not pleased to fall out of 175+ territory but atleast I've exposed some possible weaknesses to address before test day.

Honestly I'm having some difficulty staying motivated to keep pushing for perfection lately, but yea -9 definitely won't cut it. :(
Last edited by chadbrochill on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:03 pm

Just an FYI, I am deciding not to retake as my PTs have been right near the score I got in June. However, if my cycle doesn't go well then I will retake and re apply per TLS wisdom :D

Also hoping my Fulbright grant will be accepted this winter!

Best of luck to yall in October

Postby 052220151 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:30 pm

sinfiery wrote:Took PT 61

93 - 173 scaled

If I miss -0-2, I feel I can score a 178+ but at the same time, it can bring me down to a 170 easily and if I'm not on my A game for other sections, it could really be devastating.

I obtained 10 tests I've taken before to study with over a year ago and started to take the RC and LG sections from them.

So far I did
PT 39
LG -0 (33 minutes)
and
PT 53
Man, RC is just heart breaking...at least I feel comfortable with LG once again. The old LG tests are basically a joke after you've gone through a couple of the new ones so I'm not ready for test day yet, but not concerned about it.

Going to try to get 3 RC and 3 more LG done today. I am just starting to pick up studying so not even close to burned out.(Big plus!)
I've tried the Atlas RC book which helped me realize I was reading too fast so that definitely helped me improve my RC scores from always around -4 - -8 to anywhere from -1 - -8 now.

Exact same score (173) on PT 61, except:

RC:-1
LR:-5
LG:-1
LR:-1

I can't tell you how pissed off I was at that second LR.

Unrelated note: Who else, like me, has self-imposed banishment for the next 2.5 weeks? I am literally spending Friday night - Sunday night in a cabin in the boonies for the next two weekends. And will only leave my house to run and go to work during the week. Full-on LSAT mode!

Jake Wyler

Postby Jake Wyler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 pm

deputydog wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Took PT 61

93 - 173 scaled

So far I did
PT 39
LG -0 (33 minutes)
and
PT 53

Exact same score (173) on PT 61, except:

RC:-1
LR:-5
LG:-1
LR:-1

I can't tell you how pissed off I was at that second LR.

Unrelated note: Who else, like me, has self-imposed banishment for the next 2.5 weeks? I am literally spending Friday night - Sunday night in a cabin in the boonies for the next two weekends. And will only leave my house to run and go to work during the week. Full-on LSAT mode!

Samesies. As I'm telling all my friends, there are f'ing around times, and there are not-f'ing around times. This is not-f'ing-around time. 18 days to strap your nuts on and give this bastard all you've got.

Postby 052220151 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:55 pm

Jake Wyler wrote: Samesies. As I'm telling all my friends, there are f'ing around times, and there are not-f'ing around times. This is not-f'ing-around time. 18 days to strap your nuts on and give this bastard all you've got.

LOL. Definitely a time to sack up, if there ever was one.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Same here on the self-imposed banishment.

Will probably call in sick 2-4 days from work too, lol.

Put in the work now or forever hold your peace when your score comes.

RC today:
-1 on PT#54 (36 minutes) and -1 on PT#55 (34minutes)

I remember reading the topics of the passages, but today was still a good day!

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:14 pm

deputydog wrote:Unrelated note: Who else, like me, has self-imposed banishment for the next 2.5 weeks? I am literally spending Friday night - Sunday night in a cabin in the boonies for the next two weekends. And will only leave my house to run and go to work during the week. Full-on LSAT mode!

Here's a motivational video for all of us self-banishers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpXCz5d ... re=related
2.5 weeks left, we didn't come all this way not finish strong!

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:07 pm

TheThriller wrote:Just an FYI, I am deciding not to retake as my PTs have been right near the score I got in June. However, if my cycle doesn't go well then I will retake and re apply per TLS wisdom :D

Also hoping my Fulbright grant will be accepted this winter!

Best of luck to yall in October

Your romantic lighting will be missed during the wait.
<3

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Of course I will still chat with yall! 2.5 weeks, Get at it! I know you guys will do great!

seacow

Postby seacow » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:49 am

Just took PT55. Got my first 180 in this round of prep - the only question I missed was in LR on the only question I retroactively changed. Missed 2 on the X (LR from PT31).

I have taken the PT twice before, but not since November 2011. Though not much of the LR was familiar, all 4 RC passages were. Oh well, I'm peaking, which goes without saying. So if I continue like this I'll be happy. If my score didn't inflate today by 10+ points, I'll be very happy with Oct's score.

-

I'm trying to find trends - what makes me peak. After two days off, I studied ~2 hours yesterday and took a 5-section PT today. Crucially, I am very relaxed, not stressed. Unfortunately, this probably won't be the case on test day no matter what I do.

-

Another point I should make is to urge everyone to rethink taking the Friday before the test off. I think it varies from my person to person.

For both Dec. 2011 and June 2012 I took the day before off. I have noticed in this round of prep that this doesn't play to my strengths and weaknesses. I don't need to feel motivated (which taking the day before off helps), it's more important that I am focused, practiced, and well-rehearsed before I take a PT. I'm going to take the Thursday off, and prep for ~2 on the Friday. I am very confident that my performance will improve as a result.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:55 am

seacow wrote:Just took PT55. Got my first 180 in this round of prep - the only question I missed was in LR on the only question I retroactively changed. Missed 2 on the X (LR from PT31).

I have taken the PT twice before, but not since November 2011. Though not much of the LR was familiar, all 4 RC passages were. Oh well, I'm peaking, which goes without saying. So if I continue like this I'll be happy. If my score didn't inflate today by 10+ points, I'll be very happy with Oct's score.

-

I'm trying to find trends - what makes me peak. After two days off, I studied ~2 hours yesterday and took a 5-section PT today. Crucially, I am very relaxed, not stressed. Unfortunately, this probably won't be the case on test day no matter what I do.

-

Another point I should make is to urge everyone to rethink taking the Friday before the test off. I think it varies from my person to person.

For both Dec. 2011 and June 2012 I took the day before off. I have noticed in this round of prep that this doesn't play to my strengths and weaknesses. I don't need to feel motivated (which taking the day before off helps), it's more important that I am focused, practiced, and well-rehearsed before I take a PT. I'm going to take the Thursday off, and prep for ~2 on the Friday. I am very confident that my performance will improve as a result.

I PT'd the day before June and it felt pretty good, so I'll probably do that again. I think taking a day off prep usually takes me out of the zone and takes a day of drilling to get back in.

I'm thinking to finish taking/retaking PTs I had planned up until the last week, then do four 7-section retakes of 60-66 in the four days preceding the big day.

seacow

Postby seacow » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:09 am

cahwc12 wrote:I PT'd the day before June and it felt pretty good, so I'll probably do that again. I think taking a day off prep usually takes me out of the zone and takes a day of drilling to get back in.

I'm thinking to finish taking/retaking PTs I had planned up until the last week, then do four 7-section retakes of 60-66 in the four days preceding the big day.

This.

In regards to your final week prep schedule: not that you haven't considered this, but I think that is a little too heavy. Just to play devil's advocate, why wouldn't cut it down to four 4-section retakes of 63-66, for example? Don't you think you run a serious risk of burnout?

After taking the weekend before off, I will study for ~2 hours on Monday, do a 5-section PT on both Tuesday and Wednesday, take Thursday off, then on Friday I'll do 2 of the insanely difficult recent RC sections from PT6x, as well as an LR and LG from PT6x.

I kind of think I am overdoing it, but then I also think about how burnout has only truly affected me when it is stretched over a long period of time. In other words, I can do eight sections and my performance declines only negligibly as it goes on, but if I PT mon., tues., wed., thurs., and some Friday (as was the case Dec. 11), I can't even make it to part 2 on the Saturday. Indeed, my December 2011 breakdown:

LGX: -0
LR: -3
LG: -1
RC: -13
LR: -10

Anyway, thoughts regarding my plan? Yours?

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:40 am

The last few PTs I've done have been 7 sections.

Basically I'll do a 1/4 of each section of a PT as a warmup (1 section), followed by an experimental, followed by a 4 section PT, followed by another (optional) section just for endurance. I found that I would tend to get super excited as I finished the last few questions in a PT, so adding the potential for a followup section has seemed to alleviate that for me.

warmup
10-30min break
experimental
10-15min break (optional)
2 sections
10-15min break
2 sections
2nd experimental (optional)

I think doing these all back to back or with only one break would be pretty grueling, but I find this gives me a nice ability to power more material out and honestly it doesn't feel all that strenuous. I also think the major thing is that this will be freshly repeated material for me.

I've taken 60-62 twice and 64-66 once, and am taking 63 today and 64-66 between this and next week. So I think there won't be as much of a stress factor to be repeating them so close together.

Who knows though!

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:54 am

cahwc12 wrote:The last few PTs I've done have been 7 sections.

Basically I'll do a 1/4 of each section of a PT as a warmup (1 section), followed by an experimental, followed by a 4 section PT, followed by another (optional) section just for endurance. I found that I would tend to get super excited as I finished the last few questions in a PT, so adding the potential for a followup section has seemed to alleviate that for me.

warmup
10-30min break
experimental
10-15min break (optional)
2 sections
10-15min break
2 sections
2nd experimental (optional)

I think doing these all back to back or with only one break would be pretty grueling, but I find this gives me a nice ability to power more material out and honestly it doesn't feel all that strenuous. I also think the major thing is that this will be freshly repeated material for me.

I've taken 60-62 twice and 64-66 once, and am taking 63 today and 64-66 between this and next week. So I think there won't be as much of a stress factor to be repeating them so close together.

Who knows though!

Wow - I would be burnt out on that schedule. Don't you think having such a long break in between your real sections might hurt more than it helps? Wouldn't doing the real sections back to back be better for building endurance?

I'm taking 64 later today but am trying to save 65 and 66 since those are the most recent ones I have, and I have not taken them, yet. I've been reviewing and drilling but have started backing off from full PTs every other day as I want to avoid burn out.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Oct is just around the corner! June was already almost 4 months ago! What!?

Attacking PT 59 tonight. Will update later.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Did an untamed rc section that I finished in less than 35 minutes and went -0. The fact that I finished even untimed and still went -0 makes me feel good. Pt 47 in a few hours.

rakeshow

Postby rakeshow » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:31 pm

Br3v wrote:Oct is just around the corner! June was already almost 4 months ago! What!?

Attacking PT 59 tonight. Will update later.

I found the first LR section in PT 59 (section 2) to be the hardest individual LR section i've ever encountered. Normally, any given LR section doesn't feel too much harder than another while I am taking it. After grading I fluctuate a bit on the errors I make (i.e. which question type, etc). 59 section 2 LR was ridiculously hard for me though, and I didn't feel confident at all at the end of the section. section 3 was alright though and felt more like normal.
I got -7 on section 2 and -1 on section 3. I have been averaging around 1 or 2 wrong per LR section this time around.

Maybe it was just an oddball LR section? PT 59 has a -14 curve after all... (i havent done the LG or RC sections yet so no comment about the difficulty of those sections to warrant the curve)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”