October 2012 Retakers

Honey_Badger

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby Honey_Badger » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:50 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
First, you should input your test answers into this tool: --LinkRemoved--. It helps you see the percentage of question types you are missing, and should assist you identifying specific trends in regards to question types you are having problems with. It's also free.

TYFT

andreskicdo

Postby andreskicdo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:16 am

Major props to all of you on those extremely high scores. Great inspiration. PT 51 today. Could not complete an RC section and realized I need to step up my RC work. 169 with freebies, 164 without the freebies. Hoping that the last month of studying pays off. Most of my come from my guesses when I run out of time in a section, so timing is the essence this last month. Let's keep up the good work! In one year we will be hopefully hating actual law school material.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:06 am

Wormfather wrote:Took the weekend off and class today...I'm going to have to try and get a couple of hours in tonight. Now is not the time to start backsliding.

Don't underestimate giving your brain a break either.

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Pt 55 today

LR1: -1
LR2: -0
RC: -2
LG: -1

Raw: 96
Scaled: 177

Surprising I missed one in LG. Don't think that had happened in this round of PTs yet.

Brings back haunting memories of LG being my worst section in June even though I rarely missed one prior to the test.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Gisney wrote:Pt 55 today

Surprising I missed one in LG. Don't think that had happened in this round of PTs yet.

Brings back haunting memories of LG being my worst section in June even though I rarely missed one prior to the test.

You missed one haha dont sweat it. Good job.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Gisney wrote:Pt 55 today

Well-done, Gisney! I also took 55 just now (after work, semi-hungry...ugh) and it was bittersweet.

LR was -3 total, LG -0, but i ran out of time on RC (didn't read, just skimmed the last passage). Had i taken it in the morning, I think my RC focus wouldn't have let me mess up this royally.

I wonder if anyone else here finds that one section suffers more than other at diff. times of the day...

also, can't wait for PT 64 this saturday morning.

rakeshow

Postby rakeshow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:36 am

hi all,
i'm jumping in to just say hi, as i'm an oct retaker as well.
forgive me for being ignorant (and too lazy to look through 27 pages...) but is there some sort of group study/PT system? with just a few weeks left, i was wondering what everyone was doing at this point. just PT every other day or something like that?

best of luck to you all! I am retaking a 166 and am aiming for 171+

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:01 am

rakeshow wrote:hi all,
i'm jumping in to just say hi, as i'm an oct retaker as well.
forgive me for being ignorant (and too lazy to look through 27 pages...) but is there some sort of group study/PT system? with just a few weeks left, i was wondering what everyone was doing at this point. just PT every other day or something like that?

best of luck to you all! I am retaking a 166 and am aiming for 171+

I check here every now and again, no official system that I know of but if you post something along the lines of "hey who wants to do PT #X today and then discuss later" there will be people who will. Most people are working in the upper 50's approaching 60's (PT # 50's approaching PT #60's that is)

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:03 am

Wormfather wrote:Just did some 34 minute timed sections (while having an alergy induced sneezing/runny nose crisis) and...

LR -2 :)
LG -2 :( Didnt finish
RC - 5 :?

The good news is that I'm maintaining/improving even when I think I'm performing like crap. The bad news is that I'm so bored now. I used to love the challenge of games and LR and now I'm just annoyed as I go through, like I've been given busy work or something. Probably because all I knew during the summer was LSAT and now that my fall classes have started I'm being reminded that there are other interesting things in the world. Oh well.

Dont get in the habbit of taking things too lightly. I am guilty of it. But you want to pretend it is the real deal every time you study so that you will know how you will act on actual test day. Good job however but lets get that LR time up just a tad bit more!

rakeshow

Postby rakeshow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:20 am

With only a few weeks left, i was wondering what I should be focusing on. LG is firmly grounded, and I would be shocked if i miss more than 2 (usually get -1 due to a careless error or something, get -0 if everything goes right).

on LR, i went -4/-4 in June, so that area needs work (i was fluctuating between -2 to -4 per section leading up to then)

RC has always been, and still is, my worst section by far. I can never seem to get -0 on a passage, and usually end up with -5 to -8 on a given RC section.

LG i am fine, and will just do timed sections that are part of the PT i am taking. However, I don't think taking PTs over and over again is best at this point, because then i'd just get reinforcing habits and making myself get really good at getting high 160s, so to speak.

Should I focus on LR and try to ace those sections since its half the test, and im closer to mastering? with RC i feel like I have tried a lot of different approaches (annotating a LOT, annotating nothing, skimming passages, reading really slowly and in-depth, etc) but nothing seems to click. I'm kind of planning on trying to get as many points in the bank from LR and LG, and then assume i'll get around a -6 on the RC. this would bring me to low 170s if all goes well.

With the test approaching soon, is this the best thing i could do at this point? A total RC overhaul doesnt seem feasible within 3 weeks, especially since i need to eventually start focusing on just full timed PT for maintenance. Any thoughts?

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:20 am

Wormfather wrote:Yessir. For PT 60 on Friday I think I'm going to do 33 minute sections (except for maybe RC). I want extra time on test day. Just in case I wanna go out and have a drink between sections.

Also, I need to start working on zingers for the writing sample.

I'm taking 60 no Thursday if you want to review on Friday or Saturday, sir?

rakeshow

Postby rakeshow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:22 am

Wormfather wrote:Also, I need to start working on zingers for the writing sample.

i dont think you should prep for the writing sample at all besides looking at a few sample prompts. honestly, they give you a bulleted list of pros and cons for the most part. just use common sense to make a decent case for one side. you can just regurgitate the prompt for the most part. its not worth your time to prep for it imho.

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:24 am

Br3v wrote:
You missed one haha dont sweat it. Good job.

Oh it isn't about the one I missed. Just reminded me how well I was doing before June on LG and still managed to miss 6 on test day. Something that had not happened since my cold diagnostic.

Just worried I will have another crazy spaz out

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:26 am

rakeshow wrote:
Wormfather wrote:Also, I need to start working on zingers for the writing sample.

i dont think you should prep for the writing sample at all besides looking at a few sample prompts. honestly, they give you a bulleted list of pros and cons for the most part. just use common sense to make a decent case for one side. you can just regurgitate the prompt for the most part. its not worth your time to prep for it imho.

I agree. Preparing for the writing prompt is a waste of time. They basically write themselves with the bullets they give you. Plus admins admit they never really look at them. Just make sure you don't draw on your paper instead of writing a paragraph or two and you will be fine :)

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:34 am

rakeshow wrote:With only a few weeks left, i was wondering what I should be focusing on. LG is firmly grounded, and I would be shocked if i miss more than 2 (usually get -1 due to a careless error or something, get -0 if everything goes right).

on LR, i went -4/-4 in June, so that area needs work (i was fluctuating between -2 to -4 per section leading up to then)

RC has always been, and still is, my worst section by far. I can never seem to get -0 on a passage, and usually end up with -5 to -8 on a given RC section.

LG i am fine, and will just do timed sections that are part of the PT i am taking. However, I don't think taking PTs over and over again is best at this point, because then i'd just get reinforcing habits and making myself get really good at getting high 160s, so to speak.

Should I focus on LR and try to ace those sections since its half the test, and im closer to mastering? with RC i feel like I have tried a lot of different approaches (annotating a LOT, annotating nothing, skimming passages, reading really slowly and in-depth, etc) but nothing seems to click. I'm kind of planning on trying to get as many points in the bank from LR and LG, and then assume i'll get around a -6 on the RC. this would bring me to low 170s if all goes well.

With the test approaching soon, is this the best thing i could do at this point? A total RC overhaul doesnt seem feasible within 3 weeks, especially since i need to eventually start focusing on just full timed PT for maintenance. Any thoughts?

In your case I would do 6 games a day just to be sharp. You might want to try pithypike method.

On RC just pick the RC method that you are doing the best on (mine is only annotating the author's viewpoint and just trying to stay focused on the main point of each paragraph) and do a section or two a day to try to improve. I was like you in that every section I was averaging about a -6 and I ended up with a -4 on test day. Now I have an average of -2 and I really haven't fixed anything or learned new tricks. I just have done so many now that they slowly start to make patterns and become less cryptic.

I agree that you might want to focus on LR. Just keep a list of which problem types you are missing. What I do is for which ever problem type I miss, I skim the chapter on it in the LR Bible or MLSAT and reread my notes. Then I do 10 of those problems from my cambridge packet. Also on non pt days I do a section or two to stay on top of my timing.

Good luck!

rakeshow

Postby rakeshow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:53 am

does anyone have any quirks in approaching LR? I have noticed that i can easily go -0 on a section if its a good day, but on a bad day i might get tripped up due to human errors (fatigue, too much background noise, maybe went too fast, etc). I'm trying to get these kinks ironed out, but I was wondering if anyone had any unique things that helped them.

For example, i've heard of people starting at question 10 or 15, so that they are fresh when attacking the more difficult ones instead of hurrying through the first 10 or so since they are supposed to be easy and thus you make a carless error. (time is usually not an issue for me, as i can finish answering with a few minutes left).

similarly, what is your method for skipping/reviewing questions? i usually circle the number of a question i skipped, and cross out ones i am 100% sure on. then at the end i go back and answer any ones i circled (i usually remember if i skipped one or not), and then go back to ones i didnt cross out, usually about 5 or so. its rare that i get a question wrong that i had crossed off as 100% sure, so tahts good.

rakeshow

Postby rakeshow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:54 am

Gisney wrote:In your case I would do 6 games a day just to be sharp. You might want to try pithypike method.

On RC just pick the RC method that you are doing the best on (mine is only annotating the author's viewpoint and just trying to stay focused on the main point of each paragraph) and do a section or two a day to try to improve. I was like you in that every section I was averaging about a -6 and I ended up with a -4 on test day. Now I have an average of -2 and I really haven't fixed anything or learned new tricks. I just have done so many now that they slowly start to make patterns and become less cryptic.

I agree that you might want to focus on LR. Just keep a list of which problem types you are missing. What I do is for which ever problem type I miss, I skim the chapter on it in the LR Bible or MLSAT and reread my notes. Then I do 10 of those problems from my cambridge packet. Also on non pt days I do a section or two to stay on top of my timing.

Good luck!

thanks gisney! i appreciate your advice, and you seem to have the PT scores to back it up :)

seacow

Postby seacow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:00 pm

rakeshow wrote:does anyone have any quirks in approaching LR? I have noticed that i can easily go -0 on a section if its a good day, but on a bad day i might get tripped up due to human errors (fatigue, too much background noise, maybe went too fast, etc). I'm trying to get these kinks ironed out, but I was wondering if anyone had any unique things that helped them.

For example, i've heard of people starting at question 10 or 15, so that they are fresh when attacking the more difficult ones instead of hurrying through the first 10 or so since they are supposed to be easy and thus you make a carless error. (time is usually not an issue for me, as i can finish answering with a few minutes left).

similarly, what is your method for skipping/reviewing questions? i usually circle the number of a question i skipped, and cross out ones i am 100% sure on. then at the end i go back and answer any ones i circled (i usually remember if i skipped one or not), and then go back to ones i didnt cross out, usually about 5 or so. its rare that i get a question wrong that i had crossed off as 100% sure, so tahts good.

Don't be so quick to mark missed questions up to human errors. There might be an excuse as to why you didn't come to the right answer, but the fact is your logic failed and that is no one's fault but you own. When you say a mistake was a careless error you are missing a chance to learn. Sorry to be a chotch, this is a pet peeve. I used to do this and it got me nowhere.

My triaging is: pg 2 - 4 - 1 -3. This caters to my timing issues. Better to make sure you do all of the easy before you do the hard ones. I start on 2 & 4 to get myself warmed up so to make sure I don't falter on the really easy first page.

Volforlife

Postby Volforlife » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:04 pm

175 on PT 57 yesterday. I have been hovering around 175 on my last ~6 PTs. Biggest difference on this one was finishing every section (except RC) with 8-10 minutes remaining. I hope I can keep that up.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Volforlife wrote:175 on PT 57 yesterday. I have been hovering around 175 on my last ~6 PTs. Biggest difference on this one was finishing every section (except RC) with 8-10 minutes remaining. I hope I can keep that up.

Congrats! and that's pretty amazing to finish with that much time left on LR!

*Respect*

seacow

Postby seacow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Did 52 & 53 yesterday.

PT52
LR: -1
- one hour break
LR: -1
PT53
LR: -3
LG: -3
- 20 minute break
LR: -3
RC: -4

PT52: 176, 94/99
PT53: 168, 87/100

Mistranslated a rule in the 53's LG. I haven't went over the rest yet, but I suspect a few frustrating errors in the 53's LR. Besides that, there's a lot to feel confident about. I'm hitting modern era RCs and I am not even close to seeing the double digit incorrect responses per section that happened to me in Dec. and June.

Let's do work, all. A few weeks left.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Ok so I don't know if this counts because
a) I did this PT months ago
b) I did timed sections over the course of two days

but I managed a 169. Which, for me, is really exciting.

Going to take PT 64 on Saturday and see if I can replicate it.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Has anyone taken a test that they HAVEN'T done?

I've gotten 2 170s but I took those tests like twice so doesn't really count for me...

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:08 pm

I didn't exhaust materials the first time around so I still have 8 fresh tests, including 62-65, so that's nice for me.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:36 pm

Taking this October one cold to preserve test materials. Think I got it all down to AT LEAST get 162 and then I'll be semi-satisfied.

If I bomb then I'll be taking a year off! Might go to Hawaii for a year lol jk. :mrgreen:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”