October 2012 Retakers

chem!

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby chem! » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:25 pm

weathercoins wrote:
chem! wrote:I am seriously considering rescheduling for the December test. I realize this will put me right at the end of the application cycle, but this is my last shot and I don't feel like I'm going to be as ready as I should be by October. My class enrollment is off the charts huge and with two kids, 152 students and a life, I don't see as many PT's as I need happening.

Have you considered waiting for the 2014 cycle, or is that out of the question?

My age is the limiting factor on this.

jjrialva

Postby jjrialva » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:45 am

Kaytei wrote:I cold-tested at 161 then did some insane studying for the December test last year and only scored a 163. I really need to find a good way to raise my score or I may have to sit out another cycle.
I focused so much on logic games last time around and I think that was my mistake. I need some good material for the other sections. I used PowerScore for LG, but I saw you guys talking about Manhattan. Which have you had better luck with?

if you scored 163 you already have a good grasp of the material (I scored the same on that test). From 163 to 170+ it takes smart studying rather than insane studying. Focus on what your getting wrong and why then eliminate the erroneous thinking completely. Repeat everything until you get it right. I cold tested 145..ended with 158 on June's test and now I started scoring 168+. All I have done since June is follow pithypike's study guide. Good Luck!

Pocahontas

Postby Pocahontas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:11 pm

I've had some good days of prep since taking PT42. Lord knows that score hurt my feelings, lol. I took this last week to revisit my Manhattan and PS materials. Spent every free moment I could trying to better understand some of the question types I've had the hardest time with. I've gotten my LG down to -0 pretty consistently and RC has been steady in the 0-2 range. I'm still not where I want to be with LR, but I plan to spend a few more nights drilling before I jump back into taking practice tests. I decided to slow down a bit to get it together before wasting anymore PTs.

We've just over a month left and I think I'm finally feeling some momentum. I hope everyone else is doing well!

andreskicdo

Postby andreskicdo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Just planned out the last 6 weeks of studyin. I have to say it will be intense. not much cellphone/internet/tv/social life will be happening (prob cloze to zero), but I am excited. Guys we got this, just gotta keep working at it.

keyanaut

Postby keyanaut » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Hey guys,

Forced to retake the test because of inadequate proctors. I wear an eyepatch for medical reasons and the proctor freaked out because my driver's license didn't show me with an eyepatch. She initially kicked me out of the test, but then let me take it without knowing whether I was excused or not. In the middle of section one they come to argue with me. After explaining to them iw as allowed to resume. And it was a damn RC section. Definitely messed me up. They are allowing me a 4th time but scrapping my score although I felt I did decent enough for where I want to go. Anyways, took PT 41 yesterday, got a 166. A little below what I want.

Good luck to you all.

Btw,

I'm Key!

edit: Forgot to mention that I've taken this twice before at the same place, same ID, same passport photo, same eyepatch. I even wear my black one purposefully (sometimes I rock a tan one)

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Last night's review helped so much. Huge thanks to Noodles for the NA/SA notation trick. I did a few of the harder assumption questions today - and got most of them right just by notating which ones were sufficient/necessary. Feeling motivated again!

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Happy to help. I can be hard to catch up with, but if you need anything just shoot me a message and I'll do my best to make myself available. Do not hesitate to ask.

relevantfactor

Postby relevantfactor » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:56 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Happy to help. I can be hard to catch up with, but if you need anything just shoot me a message and I'll do my best to make myself available. Do not hesitate to ask.

Review yesterday was great. Are you guys free tomorrow for some RC or possible PT?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:16 am

Maybe, we'll see. Depends on what time, I think my girlfriend is going to be over in the evening.

seacow

Postby seacow » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:21 pm

After two wild nights and 0 studying over the weekend, last night I went -6 & -5 on LR sections. This morning, however, I just went -2 & -1 on (unfamiliar) LR sections.

The lesson is this: know thyself. Some people can take off two days and jump back into it. I'm starting to realize that I cannot. I need a day of prep on the day before otherwise I risk quicker fatigue or "floating" through the first few sections. Indeed, After prep on Monday and Tuesday last week I did 8 sections on Wednesday and did not suffer adversely from fatigue in any section. After two days off, My June LSAT breakdown was -10, -3, -3, -2, -3.

The first week of October I think instead of this: Wednesday - PT, Thursday - light review, Friday - off, Saturday - LSAT, I'll do this: Tuesday - PT, Wednesday - light review, Thursday - off, Friday - drill, Saturday - LSAT. And not have two massive nights in a row in the lead-up, of course.

Kaytei

Postby Kaytei » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:42 pm

So I just signed up for the free practice LSAT that Kaplan offers in my area. The date? Saturday, October 6. Does that date sound a little familiar? :shock:
Why wasn't this planned better?!

criminaltheory

Postby criminaltheory » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:55 pm

made the last minute decision today to try to improve my 169 from june to a 17x in october. i mean, it's only one question, right??!?!? aaargh.

Volforlife

Postby Volforlife » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:34 pm

When is the PT 44 review? I bombed with a 166, but made a comeback on PT45 with a 173

Jake Wyler

Postby Jake Wyler » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:10 pm

A couple questions that would really help me out:

Where do you guys get the material to drill by specific question type/game type etc.? Is it just the Kaplan Mastery book?

How often should I be taking full PTs?

Most importantly: what is your typical daily/weekly study schedule like? I've been studying for 1-4 hours a day since mid-July, but I work full-time so it's hard to really set and keep a schedule. Any semblance of structure you guys could recommend would really help out.

seacow

Postby seacow » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:56 pm

LRX: -5
LGX: -2 (didn't apply all the rule - H in the AISLE seat behind G's AISLE seat)
RCX: -0
______
PT 42
LG: -0
LR: -5
RCX: -0
RC: -3
LR: -5

168, 88/101

Ugh. Obviously pretty psyched about those RCXs but -5 is too many on LR. However, fatigue did get me on the final LR and I still had to guess-ish on a few questions, which by Oct I shouldn't have to do - plus I had some weird questions on my PT16 LRX.

I can still take a lot of positives from this, though: 1) I've clearly stepped up my RC game (I'm happy with even -5 in Oct following two -10+s - it'll get me where I need to be unless I mess up somewhere else) and 2) I can improve my LR to where it needs to be by better section management - I'm just going to skip over those massive Parallel Reasoning questions.

My Lesson: start this better LR section management - pages 2-4-1-3 and skipping massive parallels.

seacow

Postby seacow » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Jake Wyler wrote:A couple questions that would really help me out:

Where do you guys get the material to drill by specific question type/game type etc.? Is it just the Kaplan Mastery book?

Most importantly: what is your typical daily/weekly study schedule like? I've been studying for 1-4 hours a day since mid-July, but I work full-time so it's hard to really set and keep a schedule. Any semblance of structure you guys could recommend would really help out.

- I was a Kaplan-er and have recently scored my friend's Kaplan stuff. But many other places sell - what I think TLS'ers call - bundles. Search online.

- There is no good way to answer this question without more information. Are you familiar with all question types? LGs? RC? are you retaking? Etc. Answer to these and we can lay out a study plan for you.

Mine is light drilling throughout the week and one 8-section PT day. Weekends off. If you have a problem area, keep your focus on that, but still drill your strengths. My schedule, for instance:

I am -1/0 on LG so I'll drill certain types once or twice any given week and then I'll take a section or 2.

On LR I'm having trouble with section management so I'm going to do a lot more sections. The type I have trouble with is parallel reasoning, so I will definitely drill those.

On RC I have trouble with difficult passages. Usually instead of missing 1 or 2 on all passages, I'll miss 4 on one passage and none on the other. I do RC prep by doing a lot of extra reading and drilling difficult passages.

BUT - your study plan can (should) be completely different than this if you are not familiar with the types and, in general, the LSAT. I have been studying this thing for over a year now and it's all about precision, focus, section management, and execution for me. There's really nothing that I haven't seen before and nothing I'm not prepared to handle.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:18 am

What's everyone's morning pre-test routine?

lilhugsy24

Postby lilhugsy24 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:28 am

This is what I use to drill and I know some other people on TLS use it as well. Hope that helps and good luck to you.
--LinkRemoved--

seacow

Postby seacow » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:31 am

cahwc12 wrote:What's everyone's morning pre-test routine?

Do some light reading, an LG, an RC passage, and an LR section (to work all the kinks out).

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:24 am

Probably gonna bail on the October LSAT, haven't prepped a bit, and I just can't do it with the way work is right now. Good luck to everyone!

Jake Wyler

Postby Jake Wyler » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:56 pm

seacow wrote:

- I was a Kaplan-er and have recently scored my friend's Kaplan stuff. But many other places sell - what I think TLS'ers call - bundles. Search online.

- There is no good way to answer this question without more information. Are you familiar with all question types? LGs? RC? are you retaking? Etc. Answer to these and we can lay out a study plan for you.

Mine is light drilling throughout the week and one 8-section PT day. Weekends off. If you have a problem area, keep your focus on that, but still drill your strengths. My schedule, for instance:

I am -1/0 on LG so I'll drill certain types once or twice any given week and then I'll take a section or 2.

On LR I'm having trouble with section management so I'm going to do a lot more sections. The type I have trouble with is parallel reasoning, so I will definitely drill those.

On RC I have trouble with difficult passages. Usually instead of missing 1 or 2 on all passages, I'll miss 4 on one passage and none on the other. I do RC prep by doing a lot of extra reading and drilling difficult passages.

BUT - your study plan can (should) be completely different than this if you are not familiar with the types and, in general, the LSAT. I have been studying this thing for over a year now and it's all about precision, focus, section management, and execution for me. There's really nothing that I haven't seen before and nothing I'm not prepared to handle.

Good looks on the Cambridge bundles, thanks guys.

Yes this is a retake for me, my previous scores are 157 and 156. I got the 157 on a December test while still in school and only studying Kaplan online (dumb!), then when I got my score I retook for the February exam even though I had mono at the time (even dumber!!). Rather than go to a school in the 60s at sticker, I got a job working at a V10 firm in NYC. So yes, I am familiar with the LSAT and the question types.

Right now I'm PTing at 165-167 consistently (average about -3 to -5 per section), but every once in a while I'll either get a test I can really handle (my best is 171 on Preptest 27, 86 raw) or I'll just wet the bed on 2 games or 2 passages or something and wind up -10 on a section and finish at like 160-163. My best scores per section are LG -0, LR -2, RC -2 so I know I have it in me to hang up a 17x on test day, but my inconsistency is infuriating.

Any advice on what I should be doing or how I should structure my studying would be greatly appreciated (keeping in mind I work full-time).

seacow

Postby seacow » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:24 pm

Jake Wyler wrote:Any advice on what I should be doing or how I should structure my studying would be greatly appreciated (keeping in mind I work full-time).

It seems like you have your priorities right: a few more points on the LSAT can make a huge difference.

But you are not going to get there unless you put in the effort.

Start now.

Once you understand everything there is to know about the LSAT, you can further improve by recognizing patterns (which you are probably already doing intuitively) and completing the sections more "economically" (not even bothering to do difficult problems).

You can also work on your endurance and focus. If you are PTing high 160s but have a 156 and a 157 then you probably have test day issues, like me. Repetition/Practice cures all evils (or however that saying goes).

You need to do work, now. If you can find a way for your full-time job to become only a secondary priority, do so.

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:43 pm

Took test 45 today...broke 170 for first time! barely, but still.

LR 1: -2
RC: - 4
LG: -1
LR 2: - 5
total: -12
Scaled score: 170

I've went from -8 in LG to -1 today in about 2 weeks. My mistake was silly too - I could've potentially scored -0 (i understood every question). Generous curve but still..just glad I reached my goal of 170 one month before test :)

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:55 pm

in the middle of PT 50, feeling pretty good though just had to guess on one LG question because it was killing my time

seacow

Postby seacow » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:47 pm

PT46

RC: -0
LR: -3
LRX: -1
LR: -2
LG: -0

175, 94/99

I had seen this PT before and it's familiarity made it easier. I finished each LR in about 30 minutes, the RC in 33.5, and the LG in 23.

Still some positives, though: The LRX was unfamiliar enough and I crushed it. I'm trimming down my mistakes on LR overall. While I need to have caution with -0s in familiar RCs, this one was unfamiliar enough to be positive about. And because I didn't go back and look over after I was done, I minimized score inflation (I had one miscircle and a few others I believe I could have gotten).

I was definitely on my game today. When is everyone else "on their game"?

My past few days: tuesday - light workout, moderate drinking. wednesday - 8-section PT, a little sick. thursday - heavier workout, moderate drinking light review. today - big lunch, spur-of-the-moment-ish decision to take PT.

The only trend I see for me is heavy studying 2 days prior and a day off on the day before. Anyone else notice any trends concerning when they're "on their game"?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”