October 2012 Retakers

GATA1989

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby GATA1989 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:28 pm

173 today (91 Raw) on PT32 following my 163 on Sunday. I drilled LR hard after the disappointment on Sunday and went -7 on the 75 LR ?s on the test today, I didn't miss a single Flaw question which had been the majority of my misses on the first 5 PTs I took so that was extremely good news. I need to start paying more attention to LG though, I went -1 in June and was consistently -1 or -0 in PTs leading up to that but on my 6 PTs so far I've been mostly -3 or -4, got complacent on those.

Drilling Justify LR tomorrow, as well as all LG types and some RC. Another PT on Friday and then starting 3 PTs a week until Oct. next week. 45 days.

bananashotgun

Postby bananashotgun » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:46 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Review at 7:30pm tomorrow for PT 42 work for people?

i haven't taken it yet but hopefully i can get some time today to do it in time for the review. but 7:30 works jawesome for me

seacow

Postby seacow » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Did 3 exp. sections and a full-length PT yesterday.

LRX: -4
LGX: -1
RCX: -1

PT40
LRX: -5
LR: -4
LG: -0
LR: -5
RC: -1

170, 91/101

Pretty stoked: 1) it was 95% completely unfamiliar; 2) these were my first LR sections since June so I'm not surprised about the score once I think about it; 3) I guessed on 5 questions and missed all of them; 4) the timing issues I had are very correctable; and 5) I nailed the final RC after 7 sections and a stressful dentist appt - endurance will not be an issue on test day.

But let's take it as an early lesson: don't focus only on your weaknesses. A point is a point on the LSAT. Sure, there are diminishing returns but perfection on LG from ~-2, for instance, counts the same as -10 to -8 on RC. I dropped 3 points from my average on LR because I hadn't put a lot of time into it. I'll take this as a lesson and move on.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:28 pm

PT 42 review room is up: http://tinychat.com/octoberdestroyers

After four straight tests of increasing after every test, I took a dip on this one (177 to 175... 99th percentile problems). Anyway, review is scheduled to start at 7:30.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:10 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:PT 42 review room is up: http://tinychat.com/octoberdestroyers

After four straight tests of increasing after every test, I took a dip on this one (177 to 175... 99th percentile problems). Anyway, review is scheduled to start at 7:30.

Awkwardly strolled into the chat room at Mountain Standard Time. Oops.

How did everyone do? I took the day off and worked on school research because I was performing poorly on LR. Again.

I feel like I'm drilling incorrectly. How do you guys do it!?!?

-6/-9 On the LR sections on PT 42. Slap me.

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:22 pm

CalPolyLaw wrote:I know, trying to take it day by day. I'm not used to struggling on tests. I have bought a good amount of practice test along with the extra 8 that TestMasters supplies.

I seem to do well on logic games, but LR/RC is the reason I'm scoring in the 150's. The more I do the more I'm starting to making improvement, but I just hope it will be enough by October.

Would advancing another 10 points be unrealistic?

I don't think it's unrealistic, but I definitely do recommend drilling specific LR question types and making sure your LG is -0 to -2. LG started as my Achilles heel but after months of studying and drilling, I'm happy to see them since it means I can pick up points. Have you already identified which LR questions are your weakest?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:52 pm

espressocream wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:PT 42 review room is up: http://tinychat.com/octoberdestroyers

Awkwardly strolled into the chat room at Mountain Standard Time. Oops.

How did everyone do? I took the day off and worked on school research because I was performing poorly on LR. Again.

I feel like I'm drilling incorrectly. How do you guys do it!?!?

-6/-9 On the LR sections on PT 42. Slap me.

Ain't no such thing as awkwardly strolling in... just jump on in. We go in order, normally, but I wouldn't have an issue backtracking or staying late to go over stuff with you as you catch up with where we are. I don't know who Macho is on here, but he got a 180 on the bad boy. I'm pissed because I feel poised for a 180, but keep missing with myself getting in the way. Going to work on parallel reasoning the next few days and hope that helps me get over the hump, especially since my RC is really coming together.

Pocahontas

Postby Pocahontas » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:04 am

I don't know WTF happened with PT42... :cry:

160... Average pt was 169 before tonight. Damn.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Wormfather wrote:Just took PT 57 and while I'm happy with my 166 (second highest score evar) I now know why everyone hates mauve dinosaurs. 1/6. For christ's sake!

I cant wait to see why/how I screwed that one up.

Nice work on that one. You beat my PT score by more than a couple points. If dinosaurs weren't already dead, I'd kill them myself after PT 57.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:33 pm

Wormfather wrote:Just took PT 57 and while I'm happy with my 166 (second highest score evar) I now know why everyone hates mauve dinosaurs. 1/6. For christ's sake!

I really thought that game wasn't bad at all and I'd be happy to go over it with you some time if you need!

Also, taking PT45 in the morning (saturday morning PTs baby!) with princeR... if anyone is interested we can do some sort of joint review, possibly on sunday.

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:37 pm

cahwc12 wrote:Well, maybe it doesn't count for much but I'll take it anyway:

I 180'd SPB! I took it in 1-section pieces and went -4, but I'll take it! (I didn't know any test had a -4 180 curve. Here's hoping October does!)

LR1 -3 (I took this section before the June test and just graded it today)
LG -0
RC -1 :D
LR2 -0

I'm not sure what happened with RC but I sure felt in the zone. I changed three answers thinking WWKD before I finished and got them all correct!

Here's hoping that continues when I start PTing again bright and early Saturday morning...

I just 180'd SPB too! lol...now I'm worried that it might be an easy test, but it was my first timed 180 so I'll take it!
LR1 -1
LG -0
RC -0
LR2 -1

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:14 pm

bdeebs wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:Well, maybe it doesn't count for much but I'll take it anyway:

I 180'd SPB! I took it in 1-section pieces and went -4, but I'll take it! (I didn't know any test had a -4 180 curve. Here's hoping October does!)

LR1 -3 (I took this section before the June test and just graded it today)
LG -0
RC -1 :D
LR2 -0

I'm not sure what happened with RC but I sure felt in the zone. I changed three answers thinking WWKD before I finished and got them all correct!

Here's hoping that continues when I start PTing again bright and early Saturday morning...

I just 180'd SPB too! lol...now I'm worried that it might be an easy test, but it was my first timed 180 so I'll take it!
LR1 -1
LG -0
RC -0
LR2 -1

Well, with a -4 180 curve, oprahwinfreygiveaway.jpg

On a serious note, would anyone be interested in drilling/reviewing some old RC sections with me? RC was my achilles in June, and I've been trying to drill more in prep for October. My usual study partner has been sick and is now preggo, so I need a new one to review with!

Any takers?

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Where do you get "experimental" sections? PTs only have 4 sections. what's SPB?

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:08 am

Superprep B. I personally found that stamina was not an issue for me and adding an extra section in was unnecessary...so I don't use experimentals.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:30 am

With my prep plan for October I'm using Superprep A, PT39 and PT40 as experimental sections, and then taking ~2 PTs/wk until d-day.

Basically I begin by taking a test I've already done, reprinting it, and using it as a warm-up. Then I take 1 experimental section (almost always first, although I may start moving it around), followed by a PT.

For the warm-up, I pick a PT to repeat, (say, PT51), and I do one passage, one game and 4 pages of LR (1, 3, 5, 7 or 2, 4, 6, 8 from a section). I do not grade it when I finish; it's merely to get me in the mode of thinking. This has tangibly added to my PT scores since I started doing it about a month before June (from 171 average to about 173 average), and honestly I partially blame my flopping in June on not sufficiently warming up beforehand. (I do grade the PT after I finish marking all the questions, but only later in the day after my 4th PT.)

Doing this I find I make fewer silly mistakes early on (on test day I missed 2 of the first 7 questions).

I may begin adding double RCs to my PT just because I have some fear of taking back to back RC, and I want to be accustomed to it when test day rolls around so I'm not fretting about it. One of the test forms from June started RC-RC- and the experimental, which was first, was supposedly one of the most difficult RC sections to date. If I had had that test format, I may have just taken a nap at the test center.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:44 am

Wormfather wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:

I really thought that game wasn't bad at all and I'd be happy to go over it with you some time if you need!

Also, taking PT45 in the morning (saturday morning PTs baby!) with princeR... if anyone is interested we can do some sort of joint review, possibly on sunday.

Overlooked the word "if" in the final rule and concluded that V must always be out. Murdered my game. Usually when I make a mistake, there is some question that tells me, oh well.

Did you find the questions were going a bit too easily? Usually when I make a rules mistake the answers shake out a little too quickly and I know something is up.

Once I felt like I had sufficiently mastered LG, the only questions I would ever miss were due to things like that.. mis-diagramming a rule, misreading a question, etc. What I do now to prevent that is I always mark a rule as soon as I diagram it, and I always read them twice, once before I diagram, and once after to confirm. I still don't spend more than 40-45 seconds on the stimulus+rules, but afterward I know my rules are correct. (I put a dot next to any rule after I diagram it, and I star any rule that I decide is sufficiently dubious/rare or that I am going to internalize rather than annotate--e.g. exactly two, four or six must be selected for each group).

Also, any question with the potential to be misread I always underline or box something like "could" be true or "can't" be true EXCEPT, or if it's like "If A is selected what is the maximum number of OTHERS that can be selected?" Sometimes it'll say "if A is selected what is the maximum number that can be selected?"

At least for me, once I got "zen and the art of logic games," it all became about disaster mitigation and recovery. I even made a flow chart of what to do in any given situation if I ever became stuck. Once I started doing these markings, I was able to go from -0/-2 to consistently -0 with time to spare for double checking.

Hopefully this helps a bit... I remember being lost on how to mitigate "stupid" mistakes, and I finally found a system that works well for me, so maybe it can work for you, too.

Kaytei

Postby Kaytei » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Hey Guys!
I finally registered for the Oct test as a retake and I thought I would join this thread for some tips!
Just introducing myself and getting down to some serious studying rather than my current method of studying, which involves leaving my LSAT books open all the time.
So, um, hi. I'm Kaytei.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Took PT 66 yesterday. First PT I've taken since June 2011 (where I scored a 166 on the actual thing).

Decided to take longer on LG than 35 mins, since it took a while to get back into it after so long, but mark off where I was at at the 35 minute point.

Got a 169 but took :58 on LG :(. After 35 minutes, If I guessed all "D" on the ones I hadn't gotten to yet, my adjusted score would have been a 164.

Still, better than I expected. Got -4 on RC, -3 and -2 on the LG's, -3 on LG.

Now, to do October or wait for the 2014 cycle....

Volforlife

Postby Volforlife » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:43 pm

Looking for advice on getting new study materials. I've only ever used Powerscore stuff, but I'm considering ordering the Manhattan LG and LR guides. I have trouble completing Grouping-Moving type games in a reasonable amount of time ( average ~10 mins) and I've heard that the Manhattan LG book is exceptionally useful for grouping games (which may be incorrect). The LR book would simply be for a change in perspective concerning LR questions.

With <6 weeks until test day, do you guys think that introducing new study materials is a good or bad idea?

chem!

Postby chem! » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:54 pm

I am seriously considering rescheduling for the December test. I realize this will put me right at the end of the application cycle, but this is my last shot and I don't feel like I'm going to be as ready as I should be by October. My class enrollment is off the charts huge and with two kids, 152 students and a life, I don't see as many PT's as I need happening.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:08 pm

chem! wrote:I am seriously considering rescheduling for the December test. I realize this will put me right at the end of the application cycle, but this is my last shot and I don't feel like I'm going to be as ready as I should be by October. My class enrollment is off the charts huge and with two kids, 152 students and a life, I don't see as many PT's as I need happening.

Have you considered waiting for the 2014 cycle, or is that out of the question?

jjrialva

Postby jjrialva » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:19 pm

After scoring 171 and 169 on two tests I had already taken 4 months ago I obviously thought they had some major inflation but today's score helped me bring my confidence back. I scored 168 (84 raw score) today on a completely new second test from the LSAT super prep.

I'm very happy with this considering I scored 145 on my cold test and 158 on June's test (after averaging 161). I encountered a circular logic game which kinda threw me off. I think I owe the improvement mostly to pithypike's guideline which I followed material wise.

Good luck to everyone!

Kaytei

Postby Kaytei » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:16 pm

I cold-tested at 161 then did some insane studying for the December test last year and only scored a 163. I really need to find a good way to raise my score or I may have to sit out another cycle.
I focused so much on logic games last time around and I think that was my mistake. I need some good material for the other sections. I used PowerScore for LG, but I saw you guys talking about Manhattan. Which have you had better luck with?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:43 pm

http://tinychat.com/octoberdestroyers

Review room for PT 43 up. Review will begin in earnest at 8, but if you want to just post-mortem, come on in.

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:49 pm

chem! wrote:I am seriously considering rescheduling for the December test. I realize this will put me right at the end of the application cycle, but this is my last shot and I don't feel like I'm going to be as ready as I should be by October. My class enrollment is off the charts huge and with two kids, 152 students and a life, I don't see as many PT's as I need happening.

:(

But if a December test is what you need to do, then that's the way you go. You don't want to second-guess yourself if you take it in October and aren't happy with the score....

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”