October 2012 Retakers

dkb17xzx

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby dkb17xzx » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:46 pm

honeycomb wrote:Checking in.

Need to tighten up LR more than anything... in my prep before the test by the last three weeks or so I was getting it down to -2 per section but on the test LR is what really got me. I got a 167 with -3 RC (also need to work on that) -2 LG and the rest LR.

I just got the LR Bible, but it seems like a lot of posters here got the Manhattan LR guide. Which one is better?

I found both useful. The general consensus seems to be that LR Bible is good for fundamentals and MLSAT is good for 170+ strategies. This is just me but when I used the MLSAT book, I was glad that I had a somewhat good LR foundation.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:17 pm

I keep telling myself I'll start reading the Manhattan LR guide, but I'm really hesitant to restart everything.
Thinking of prep makes me cringe.

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:33 pm

espressocream wrote:I keep telling myself I'll start reading the Manhattan LR guide, but I'm really hesitant to restart everything.

+1. I think a good way of trying to get back into prep mode is reading some stuff you like LSAT style - find flaws, look for assumptions, etc. It may help you get back in the mood (if I can call it that).

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:06 am

espressocream wrote:I keep telling myself I'll start reading the Manhattan LR guide, but I'm really hesitant to restart everything.

When I'm not in the swing of things, I like to do logic games to start out all my prep sessions. I think they're pretty fun, but they still get my mind sharp and afterward I'm much more willing to tackle those areas that need more tedious review.

chem!

Postby chem! » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:43 am

I'm going to have to retake in October, and I'm dreading it. I'm feeling pretty "meh" after the June test, but I also know that I fell off the study wagon for a good 6 weeks in April and May due to working full time and the fact that I have two busy sons. My score went up 5 pt., but is still not solid enough IMO. I'd like to stay in TX, and if I could get in at SMU with money that would be ideal, because I don't want to move my family. I am unwilling to go into massive debt in this process, either.

I'm strongly considering taking the online Manhattan course to keep me on track.

I've had a death in the family two days ago, and have not been able to fully analyze my June test yet, but the initial analysis is full of "WTF was I thinking?" moments on the questions I missed in the early portions of the sections and the reinforcement of the fact that I'm experiencing test anxiety and running out of time on LR and RC. LG is my nemesis and my brain just locks on it when I'm taking that test.

I'll be posting in with a plan. This is my last shot. If I don't succeed this time, I'm not going to law school. My age is the biggest factor in this decision.
Last edited by chem! on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovelawtays

Postby ilovelawtays » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:52 am

chem! wrote:I'm going to have to retake in October, and I'm dreading it. I'm feeling pretty "meh" after the June test, but I also know that I fell off the study wagon for a good 6 weeks in April and May due to working full time and the fact that I have two busy sons. My score went up 5 pt., but is still not solid enough IMO. I'd like to go stay in TX, and if I could get in at SMU with money that would be ideal, because I don't want to move my family. I am unwilling to go into massive debt in this process, either.

I'm strongly considering taking the online Manhattan course to keep me on track.

I've had a death in the family two days ago, and have not been able to fully analyze my June test yet, but the initial analysis is full of "WTF was I thinking?" moments on the questions I missed in the early portions of the sections and the reinforcement of the fact that I'm experiencing test anxiety and running out of time on LR and RC. LG is my nemesis and my brain just locks on it when I'm taking that test.

I'll be posting in with a plan. This is my last shot. If I don't succeed this time, I'm not going to law school. My age is the biggest factor in this decision.

I'm sorry to hear about the death in your family. :( That doesn't make resuming prep any easier. Hang in there!

chem!

Postby chem! » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:23 am

ilovelawtays wrote:
chem! wrote:I'm going to have to retake in October, and I'm dreading it. I'm feeling pretty "meh" after the June test, but I also know that I fell off the study wagon for a good 6 weeks in April and May due to working full time and the fact that I have two busy sons. My score went up 5 pt., but is still not solid enough IMO. I'd like to go stay in TX, and if I could get in at SMU with money that would be ideal, because I don't want to move my family. I am unwilling to go into massive debt in this process, either.

I'm sorry to hear about the death in your family. :( That doesn't make resuming prep any easier. Hang in there!

Thanks. Strangely, it's kind of pushing me to forge on.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Sorry hear about the death in your family chem :(
My grandmother passed away months before the June 2011 LSAT. I took it with her in mind, and though
I didn't perform well - it definitely motivated me to continue.

Currently sitting at the airport in DC attempting to read the Manhattan guide. Lol. Just lol.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:52 pm

still waiting on my velocity books! Hurry up!

I, Lawyer

Postby I, Lawyer » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:17 pm

I'll go ahead and check in here. Just ordered some fresh prep materials, and will resume studying hard again this week. Not really looking forward to it, but hopefully it will be worth it come October.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:39 pm

ilovelawtays wrote:

I'm sorry too. I can't imagine going through this in my state of mind last year after I lost a friend and a family member in a short period of time; you're really brave to keep forging on.

On a personal note, I've found that I'm most motivated to study when I'm at work. Thinking about spending my life in retail is incredible fuel on the "must do better" fire.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Checking in as well and I think it's a great idea. I don't think it's elitist or anything, but definitely better for the retakers just because we're in a different stage of prep, at least I feel like I am.

I devoted an entire month to LG and another entire month to LR my first go-round, and kind of overlooked RC.

My real test was -1 LG -5 LR -7 RC, so I suppose I pretty much got what I deserved on that end.

I'm going to start on Monday by doing RC sections from 1-38. I started doing RC by type from Cambridge packets because it was extremely useful for both LG and LR, but for RC I found it pretty unhelpful and almost a hindrance to my progress.

My goal is to spend a month solidly drilling, analyzing and deconstructing RC in exactly the same mindset/manner/methodology that I used for LG and LR.

From there I'll probably go back to PTs. I have about 10 that I have not taken at least some parts of. I'll probably begin in mid-August with tests I have already taken at least once, and then work in my remaining virgin material.

I'm still at odds with whether to save PT66 for last, or to deconstruct it immediately. What are other fellow retakers thinking?

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:13 pm

VasaVasori wrote:Reading over the June waiting thread, this is basically a summary:

bdeebs wrote:What?? I thought for sure you were going to rock this test! I'm almost as shocked as when I found out I missed questions in the LG section *facepalm*. I'm glad you're back though. You and Max were sort of my benchmarks for whether or not to feel successful on practice tests in the June thread.

I MAJORLY facepalmed the LG section. Here's my breakdown, for the record:

PT69: -12/169 (-1LR1, -3RC, -2LR2, -6LG)

Like, seriously, WTF.

And I'm - erm - glad? to be back. Something like that. :lol:

just wanted to say that gif made my day. I had to fix the typo before sharing it with my friends.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:28 pm

cahwc12 wrote:I'm still at odds with whether to save PT66 for last, or to deconstruct it immediately. What are other fellow retakers thinking?

I did it immediately. It felt good (besides the "OH MY GOD I'M SO STUPID" moments) to analyze exactly where I went wrong, and it made me feel better about my ability to improve. By the time October rolls around, you might not remember the questions anyway, so you could possibly use it twice anyway.

honeycomb

Postby honeycomb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Printing off all of my new material at work tomorrow. Here's to hoping they don't notice the hundreds of pages of LSAT material coming out of the photocopier!

Going to be doing straight drilling for the next two weeks. Those of you who work full time, do you study before or after work? I am going to try after work, but since our test will be at 8 am it may be a good idea to get used to LSATing in the morning... :x

chem!

Postby chem! » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:46 pm

sabanist wrote:
On a personal note, I've found that I'm most motivated to study when I'm at work. Thinking about spending my life in retail is incredible fuel on the "must do better" fire.

I have worked retail, and let me tell you, I totally understand the above.

I don't hate my job, but I am feeling ready for a change. It may happen. It may not happen. But, I know I haven't done my best on either of the two tests I took, so I feel motivated to try again. Let me tell you, this LSAT process has been a most humbling experience.

man_utd_4l

Postby man_utd_4l » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Checking in kids (and Chem :D )! Starting my new prep cycle tomorrow after work! Feeling super refreshed and going to crush! Planning on focusing on untimed RC sections for about the next week. In terms of LR, I will probably stick to full, timed sections. I already drilled the individual question types leading up to June. This time around I want to start PTs much earlier. Part of my problem last time was that I was doing entirely way too many PTs in the weeks leading up to test day. Going to try and maintain a 2-PT a week pace throughout.

I will check back in when I have determined more specifics.

Postby 052220151 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Two PTs a week leading up to the test. If I start next week that is 24 PTs. Should I try for more?

ruhl88

Postby ruhl88 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:17 pm

honeycomb wrote:Printing off all of my new material at work tomorrow. Here's to hoping they don't notice the hundreds of pages of LSAT material coming out of the photocopier!

Going to be doing straight drilling for the next two weeks. Those of you who work full time, do you study before or after work? I am going to try after work, but since our test will be at 8 am it may be a good idea to get used to LSATing in the morning... :x

I studied after work for most of my prep leading up to the June exam. The toughest part of this schedule was trying to focus on LSAT material after staring at a computer screen for 7+hrs a day. I would buy a cup of coffee and just drill like a madman at Starbucks. I got used to it after a few weeks.

Since the Oct test is at 8am, I will now probably start prepping in the mornings. If you can, sneak LSAT material into work. I would do games here and there just to keep my mind sharp. Let's rock this damn test!

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:06 pm

ruhl88 wrote: Let's rock this damn test!

filmoreslice

Postby filmoreslice » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:30 am

dkb17xzx wrote:
honeycomb wrote:Checking in.

Need to tighten up LR more than anything... in my prep before the test by the last three weeks or so I was getting it down to -2 per section but on the test LR is what really got me. I got a 167 with -3 RC (also need to work on that) -2 LG and the rest LR.

I just got the LR Bible, but it seems like a lot of posters here got the Manhattan LR guide. Which one is better?

I found both useful. The general consensus seems to be that LR Bible is good for fundamentals and MLSAT is good for 170+ strategies. This is just me but when I used the MLSAT book, I was glad that I had a somewhat good LR foundation.

I agree. I just started with the Manhattan books this week and while I am loving them as much as is possible under the circumstances, I don't think I would be able to follow them at all if this was my first significant exposure to the material.

thetexashammer

Postby thetexashammer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 am

honeycomb wrote:Printing off all of my new material at work tomorrow. Here's to hoping they don't notice the hundreds of pages of LSAT material coming out of the photocopier!

I'm right there with you, shooting for 2 hours after work. I'm not a morning person at all but I have started to work out before I go to work so I can wake up and get my blood pumping. About mid August I plan to switch studying and working out and go to sraight studying in the morning a few weeks before the test.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:08 am

In between class plugging in my current LSAT score and GPA into LSN and checking my numbers. Just got super upset. Hopefully my material will come today so I can start prepping again.

Is it normal to feel 100% ashamed of my gpa?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:56 pm

Max324 wrote:
VasaVasori wrote:I'M BACK!

Checking in to retake, unfortunately. I got a 169, which gives me a chance up through CCN and makes me basically a lock up through Michigan.

We'll see how this retake goes.

2012Lsatscore wrote:Is this seemingly new acceptance of re-taking and multiple re-taking a new thing or something that has been gradually changing? Traditionals seem to still frown on it but it seems like there is a lot of support that I'm kinda surprised by.

I was personally 100% against the idea of retaking.

Until Monday, that is.

Welcome welcome. Lets rock this shit.

excited to see ex-Juners. Also surprised, you guys were kicking ass in late May - sorry you have to go through this again.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”