October 2012 Retakers

User avatar
bdeebs
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby bdeebs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:40 am

specialsnowflake wrote:going to do superprep B tonight. worked through some solid RC prep last night


I just did this one! Let me know how it goes.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby Br3v » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:50 am

Long story but I am away from my PTs for a few days but can check the 2011 Kaplan LSAT premiere book out from my library (looks like it comes with a cd?)

Which PTs does this include?

I'm in official separation anxiety mode with being away from my tests so any help would be great lol.

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby sabanist » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:54 am

ilovelawtays wrote:
ilovelawtays wrote:Question about the Cambridge stuff.

Would it be conceivable for me to order one of the LRs and one of the LGs, and complete them by early September? I've taken a few PTs during my prep, and my score has been improving, but I'd like to have everything assembled one spot so I can just blaze through some stuff.

I'd purchase the books that cover PTs 21 - 40. Once finished with the books, I'd start PTing every few days in September with PTs after 40.


Ahem. :wink:

It depends on how willing you are to work without days off. That's a ton of material to cover in a short amount of time. Admittedly, I'm taking a 4 day trip in early September and won't be studying in that time, but I still won't finish my drills until the middle of the month, and I've already covered a decent amount of the material.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Sunday at 6pm tinychat to review PT 41. Be there or be square. Will post the link to the chat early in the day.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Sunday at 6pm tinychat to review PT 41. Be there or be square. Will post the link to the chat early in the day.


hope to make this

User avatar
ilovelawtays
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby ilovelawtays » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:42 pm

sabanist wrote:
ilovelawtays wrote:
ilovelawtays wrote:Question about the Cambridge stuff.

Would it be conceivable for me to order one of the LRs and one of the LGs, and complete them by early September? I've taken a few PTs during my prep, and my score has been improving, but I'd like to have everything assembled one spot so I can just blaze through some stuff.

I'd purchase the books that cover PTs 21 - 40. Once finished with the books, I'd start PTing every few days in September with PTs after 40.


Ahem. :wink:

It depends on how willing you are to
work without days off. That's a ton of material to cover in a short amount of time. Admittedly, I'm taking a 4 day trip in early September and won't be studying in that time, but I still won't finish my drills until the middle of the month, and I've already covered a decent amount of the material.


Thanks! I'm going to give it a shot with the LG. Should be here tomorrow, and I'll need to do ~6 games per day to finish up by the 31st. I agree, throwing LR in there may be too much. I'll see how this goes!

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby Gisney » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:03 pm

I just finished Super Prep C today finishing all my superprep tests.

My results are: all were retakes as all my tests will be

SP A
LR1: -0
LR2: -1
RC: -1
LG: -0

Scaled: 179 (179 originally)

SP B

LR1: -0
LR2: -1
RC: -1
LG: -0

Scaled: 180 (170 originally)

SP C

LR1: -0
LR2: -1
RC: -2
LG: -0

Scaled: 180 (172 original)

Okay so after taking a minute to jump for joy on my first 180 and then a second one right after, I am now a little weary of the results.

I took the tests for the first time in Nov 2011 so almost a year ago and whereas I do not remember anything from them, I know it is hard to predict how much a retake skews your score. I am particularly concerned with RC.

I guess all I can do is keep going with my retakes and hope the improvement is real and will be reflected in my Oct seating.


Anyone else worried their retake scores are giving them false security?

User avatar
espressocream
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:51 am

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby espressocream » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Finally finished PT 40...

LR1 -1
LG - 4
LR2 - 7
RC -9

WHAT IS GOING ON.

So frustrated right now.

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby Gisney » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:08 am

espressocream wrote:Finally finished PT 40...

LR1 -1
LG - 4
LR2 - 7
RC -9

WHAT IS GOING ON.

So frustrated right now.



To me it looks like a problem of endurance. You have the LR skills as reflected in you -1 first section. It looks like you are just losing steam as you go along.

You could always try doing a mock test of 4 or 5 LR sections back to back or just intense drilling. That way your brain can build up mental endurance. I used to dread the LR section because for me it requires the most brain power and I did this so I wasn't feeling negativity every time two or three LR sections were back to back on a test. I got used to doing 100+ LR qs in one setting so on pts 50 or so seemed like nothing.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:45 am

Alright, I'm an idiot and I'm scheduled to work tomorrow at 6pm, so I won't be able to come at that time. Would anyone be interested in doing it ~9:30pm est? I know it's a bit later, but I'd love to review with you guys. I'm going to be taking the test tomorrow morning.

User avatar
espressocream
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:51 am

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby espressocream » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:57 pm

Gisney wrote:
espressocream wrote:Finally finished PT 40...

LR1 -1
LG - 4
LR2 - 7
RC -9

WHAT IS GOING ON.

So frustrated right now.



To me it looks like a problem of endurance. You have the LR skills as reflected in you -1 first section. It looks like you are just losing steam as you go along.

You could always try doing a mock test of 4 or 5 LR sections back to back or just intense drilling. That way your brain can build up mental endurance. I used to dread the LR section because for me it requires the most brain power and I did this so I wasn't feeling negativity every time two or three LR sections were back to back on a test. I got used to doing 100+ LR qs in one setting so on pts 50 or so seemed like nothing.


Thanks, I'll definitely give this a try. I can get through a Kaplan Mastery packet of ~100 easily, but that's because it's the same question type. I'll try real sections starting tomorrow.


Took PT 41 today in a loud coffee shop. Did well on LR - finally seeing some improvement after all that
drilling....but bombed RC and LG.
Probs because during both sections the guy sitting at the table next to me kept commenting on
the font size and asked questions while I had my head buried in who was sitting across from who.
Why do people think it's appropriate to disturb clearly busy people at coffee shops?


I really do love this thread. It's helped so much. I've never been this consistently motivated.
My bf "doesn't feel bad" for me anymore because of my dismal 162, and my friends don't know
that I'm retaking. So it's really nice to have you all - and have legit advice given to me.

Also ran into, rather he approached me during my pt break - this guy I had a class with who's taking a Princeton course
and was raving about it. He told me to look into it because self-study won't get me anything.
Thanks pal.

TERS
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby TERS » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:25 pm

After not looking at anything LSAT related since the June '12 exam, back at it today. Not going to go overboard until school starts up again in September (too busy with work). Just want another 2+ points...here's to hoping. Should probably stop passively reading the Manhattan books and get down to some legit drilling. Sigh.

bananashotgun
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby bananashotgun » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:55 am

bananashotgun wrote:
espressocream wrote:Finally finished PT 40...

LR1 -1
LG - 4
LR2 - 7
RC -9

WHAT IS GOING ON.

So frustrated right now.


took preptest 40 today because it seemed like it was the cool thing to do.

LR -1
LG -4
LR -7
RC - 9

for a 162.



weird. taking pt41 today

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:44 pm

PT41 review at 9:30pm EST? Anyone else gonna be there with me?

lederhosen
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:28 am

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby lederhosen » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:54 pm

.
Last edited by lederhosen on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Tinychat. I'll post the link when I get home.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:26 pm

http://tinychat.com/octoberdestroyers

For PT 41 review. I'll probably be around until ~11pm.

User avatar
GATA1989
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby GATA1989 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:01 am

Did not do well on PT48 yesterday morning, 163 (-8 on LR and -7 on RC). Used it as motivation to finally create my spreadsheet of the ? types I was consistently missing, just going to drill today on those ? types untimed at first then timed later and will probably do a few timed sections of LR and RC tonight. Hoping to turn it around and not let one bad PT turn into two.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:15 am

Well, maybe it doesn't count for much but I'll take it anyway:

I 180'd SPB! I took it in 1-section pieces and went -4, but I'll take it! (I didn't know any test had a -4 180 curve. Here's hoping October does!)

LR1 -3 (I took this section before the June test and just graded it today)
LG -0
RC -1 :D
LR2 -0

I'm not sure what happened with RC but I sure felt in the zone. I changed three answers thinking WWKD before I finished and got them all correct!

Here's hoping that continues when I start PTing again bright and early Saturday morning...

CalPolyLaw
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby CalPolyLaw » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm totally new to this site and forum. Didn't know where to throw this out there. I'm just got a 153 on my second practice test and have been studying pretty intense everyday. Using a lot of tips from this website. I'm also taking a TestMaster course.

I need to break the 160's. Is there any hope I can do this by October?? Just feeling a little discouraged. However I stated at 143 3 weeks ago on my first diagnostic. Then scored 153 this Saturday.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby 20130312 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:41 pm

CalPolyLaw wrote:I'm totally new to this site and forum. Didn't know where to throw this out there. I'm just got a 153 on my second practice test and have been studying pretty intense everyday. Using a lot of tips from this website. I'm also taking a TestMaster course.

I need to break the 160's. Is there any hope I can do this by October?? Just feeling a little discouraged. However I stated at 143 3 weeks ago on my first diagnostic. Then scored 153 this Saturday.


That's a huge jump that you should be proud of. I know from experience that Testmasters only does four PTs. You will need to do A LOT more than that on your own time outside of class in order to prepare for the test. Use all the examples on the Testmasters website that you have access to now, before you lose access. Drilling specific sections and question types is essential, but cannot be your only practice. Taking full, timed practice tests is the key to scoring well on the LSAT. Good luck!

CalPolyLaw
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby CalPolyLaw » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:14 pm

I know, trying to take it day by day. I'm not used to struggling on tests. I have bought a good amount of practice test along with the extra 8 that TestMasters supplies.

I seem to do well on logic games, but LR/RC is the reason I'm scoring in the 150's. The more I do the more I'm starting to making improvement, but I just hope it will be enough by October.

Would advancing another 10 points be unrealistic?

andreskicdo
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:06 am

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby andreskicdo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:19 pm

-4 on 30 LR Flaw questions last night. Continue drilling tonight. I think I will need to keep doing work on flaw questions. THen some more games. I am just doing ym first PT of the season this weekend. Let's see how it goes.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Review at 7:30pm tomorrow for PT 42 work for people?

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:20 pm

So who among you has experienced the riddled basins of attraction?

I never went through it in my June prep but stumbled into it today in my first timed PT since returning.

LR -2
LG -0
RC -6, including -4 in that mindbender

What's the most difficult RC passage you've seen? While reading it I didn't think the passage itself was all that difficult, but boy were those questions a doozie.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawcapture and 3 guests