October 2012 Retakers

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Postby 03152016 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03152016 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:26 pm

I just got the courage to go over 66 and I could hunk my couch out my window. I didn't go -0 on logic games because I misunderstood a rule! Instead I went -4 on ONE GAME! I just did it; it was a joke! AHHHHH!

But I'm cool...I'm cool...I'll just keep working for Oct and go in with an even better PT average.

:x :cry: :| 8)

Brody

Postby Brody » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Just received a disgustingly large shipment of prep material from Amazon today. Let the games begin...again.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:36 am

2012Lsatscore wrote:I just got the courage to go over 66 and I could hunk my couch out my window. I didn't go -0 on logic games because I misunderstood a rule! Instead I went -4 on ONE GAME! I just did it; it was a joke! AHHHHH!

But I'm cool...I'm cool...I'll just keep working for Oct and go in with an even better PT average.

-4 here as well. I can't remember the last pt I didn't go -0. I definitely feel your pain!

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:18 am

Max324 wrote:
espressocream wrote:DC is great though, except what they say is true.
No one is attractive here.
Well dressed, but not attractive.

We'll change that after we get our GULC admits.

:mrgreen:

but seriously, no attractive people in this city. wtf. why.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
bigdogmoe wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:I'm actually considering waiting another year and taking dec, to apply the following cycle. This would be my third, and while I was PTing well before the second, I choked...I wanna be in perfect shape for the test, plus, I love the Dec curve...

The curve doesn't really matter. A 170 is a 170 on any test. I definitely see the upside in waiting until December. That extra time would be huge. Best of luck man, I hope you crush the test.

That may be true in theory, but different people are better suited to hard question/high curve vs easier/low curve. I can't quite figure it out either, but many of my highest scores have been Dec tests... It's really more about it being my last chance, and needing to go in with a few extra months of consistently high PTs.

The curve has seemingly been very generous in December compared to the rest, but I wouldn't place all my eggs in that basket. The other day I scored a 164 (decent for me, considering I've only taken a couple full timed ones so far) even though I bombed RC and LG in collosal fashion. Some other test (June test, mostly) would have bumped me down to a 161. I am like you, I prefer the hard test/easy curve because my problem isn't usually getting the questions wrong because I can't figure them out, it's making a small/extremely stupid mistake.

Taus11

Postby Taus11 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:46 pm

Meh, I haven't found much motivation to study for the retake. I am not even sure what I can study, maybe I will just go in there and take it again when the time comes in October.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Books FINALLY came. I have a lot of work today/tonight so I will officially be starting tomorrow

mooseman2216

Postby mooseman2216 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:38 pm

3rd try checking in!

retaking a 166 and a cancel to apply for this upcoming cycle.

Just decided to take my "re-diagnostic" (first full test since last october's cancel disaster)... 169!

RC -5
LR -5
Games -2

I was scrambling on my last two RC so that will be my first section to hammer!

Good luck to everyone!

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 pm

Hey guys and gals!

Long time TLS stalker, first time poster. Feels weird posting after scouring these forums for so long..

I'm taking the lsat for the first time in october..pretty damn nervous, as I'm sure the rest of you are

we got this though :) :)

Just began studying LR and RC after completely focusing on LG for the past few months.

CHECKING IN for today :

-6 on LR. And no, not total, for one section (not as awesome as you guys yet). 3rd timed section taken this week. Got minus 10+ on the first two, so I'm encouraged by doing better on this one.

-10 on RC (test 54) today. Missed 1 question on the first 2 passages, missed 9 questions in the next two passages. How the **** does that happen? Disappointed to say the least..

LG is my strongest section by far, I don't often miss more than 2 or 3 on a timed section. Still could use some more practice on advanced linear, though.

Some questions I have:

How much do you all notate in RC? I used to notate a lot, but felt grossly inefficient in absorbing information. While I still suck at RC, I retain information better with minimal notating have more time to answer the questions. I know I got 10 wrong on mine today but felt SO dumb looking at some of the answers I got wrong. Regardless, there's a reason why I've missed anywhere between -6 to 12 on each of the RC sections I've taken so far..ugh. I NEED a lot of work on this section

What's the most efficient and quickest way to improve on LR? Is there potential to improve as much on LR as LG? How do you guys plan on approaching this section, if you are similarly beginning to prep for the LR section like I am? I thoroughly went through the LRB (literally treated it like a bible) and worked on practice questions from 29-38 by using the LSAT blog as a guide. Do you guys prefer Manhattan LR book? I have it, haven't read a page yet.

LG: I mentioned this is my best section..however, do you guys ever get the feeling that you do SIGNIFICANTLY better here when you have 8+ hours of sleep, than otherwise? I took some practice sections last week during the week (full time internship during the summer) and was generally on 5-6 hrs of sleep..was getting around -5 on LG. Over the weekend I went home, was well rested, and took 4 sections, worst one was -2. This latter average fits into my average for the last month, and I can't explain it. Can a couple hrs of sleep really make THAT big of a difference? If so, not gonna lie, I'm a bit discouraged by an 8:30 AM lsat

Really appreciate all of your input..thanks.. looking forward to the next few months here with you guys :)

mooseman2216

Postby mooseman2216 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:47 am

Ambitious1 wrote: How much do you all notate in RC? I used to notate a lot, but felt grossly inefficient in absorbing information. While I still suck at RC, I retain information better with minimal notating have more time to answer the questions. I know I got 10 wrong on mine today but felt SO dumb looking at some of the answers I got wrong. Regardless, there's a reason why I've missed anywhere between -6 to 12 on each of the RC sections I've taken so far..ugh. I NEED a lot of work on this section

I rarely notate or underline on my RC, but I have never been one to underline or highlight in my class notes a ton either. Sometimes I will underline what I feel is the main idea in the first paragraph, but other than that I focus on absorbing the content as a whole. I feel RC is by far the most random of the sections though. I vary from -2 to -6 or so at what seems like random times.

Good luck!

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:15 am

mooseman2216 wrote:
Ambitious1 wrote: How much do you all notate in RC? I used to notate a lot, but felt grossly inefficient in absorbing information. While I still suck at RC, I retain information better with minimal notating have more time to answer the questions. I know I got 10 wrong on mine today but felt SO dumb looking at some of the answers I got wrong. Regardless, there's a reason why I've missed anywhere between -6 to 12 on each of the RC sections I've taken so far..ugh. I NEED a lot of work on this section

I rarely notate or underline on my RC, but I have never been one to underline or highlight in my class notes a ton either. Sometimes I will underline what I feel is the main idea in the first paragraph, but other than that I focus on absorbing the content as a whole. I feel RC is by far the most random of the sections though. I vary from -2 to -6 or so at what seems like random times.

Good luck!

I realized I put this in the wrong thread, this should go in the October marathon thread :) but thank you very much for your response, I feel the exact same way about RC. I wonder how much it would help if I started reading the Economist or the NY times or something, I hear that get said a lot here but I wonder how much it actually helps, versus just keep attacking practice sections?

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:52 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:I just got the courage to go over 66 and I could hunk my couch out my window. I didn't go -0 on logic games because I misunderstood a rule! Instead I went -4 on ONE GAME! I just did it; it was a joke! AHHHHH!

Pianists ( :lol: ) game?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:41 pm

espressocream wrote:In DC.

Visited Georgetown today, it was alright.
Can't say it motivated me to start studying again.

trudging through manhattan lr.

DC is great though, except what they say is true.

It is true. For attractive people, UCLA is the way to go.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:14 pm

sanjola wrote:

Pianists ( :lol: ) game?

Nope. It was the easy one at the beginning.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:39 pm

99.9luft wrote:
espressocream wrote:In DC.

Visited Georgetown today, it was alright.
Can't say it motivated me to start studying again.

trudging through manhattan lr.

DC is great though, except what they say is true.

It is true. For attractive people, UCLA is the way to go.

if you want hot girls, TTT schools have plenty

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Nice, checking in. Due to some other things I have going on I havent been able to start my prep yet. Every time I log onto TLS I start to worry. I'm good right? (last time i studied was June 11th)

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Br3v wrote:Nice, checking in. Due to some other things I have going on I havent been able to start my prep yet. Every time I log onto TLS I start to worry. I'm good right? (last time i studied was June 11th)

Should say, plan to start either next week or latest, the next.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Wormfather wrote:Today I was doing some LR practice. I went through the answer choices for a question and decided that option D was most likely a trap, but didnt cross it out, ya know, just in case. after spending 30 seconds looking for the right answer I chose (read: talked my self into) D. D turned out to be a trap.

I fucking hate when that happens.

always go with your gut. I tend to miss more LR if I stop and really think about them.

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Br3v wrote:Nice, checking in. Due to some other things I have going on I havent been able to start my prep yet. Every time I log onto TLS I start to worry. I'm good right? (last time i studied was June 11th)

This.
Oy, I think I'm in trouble. :shock:

Eberry

Postby Eberry » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:00 pm

I sincerely hope so seeing as I am in the same boat.

Summer classes are stupid.

chem!

Postby chem! » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:12 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:
Wormfather wrote:Today I was doing some LR practice. I went through the answer choices for a question and decided that option D was most likely a trap, but didnt cross it out, ya know, just in case. after spending 30 seconds looking for the right answer I chose (read: talked my self into) D. D turned out to be a trap.

I fucking hate when that happens.

always go with your gut. I tend to miss more LR if I stop and really think about them.

This gut thing is good advice. I changed 4 answers on the June test from my initial gut response to an incorrect answer due to overthinking/second guessing. I tell my students this advice all the time, yet I failed to follow it. UGH.

I'm printing the Velocity books and will be starting my prep this weekend. I did all the LG from the June test and went -1. I think I already posted this, but I don't remember. They were not difficult. I'm just a nimrod on test day.

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Honey_Badger wrote:

This.
Oy, I think I'm in trouble. :shock:

I'm telling you, just pick up a game. Its like a pandora's box for studying.

I read your mind--started my Velocity course today.
Fucking LSAT.... :evil:

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”