October 2012 Retakers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
shntn

Platinum

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Post by shntn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:32 am

deputydog wrote:Just ran into the mauve dinosaur. WTF?
IKR? That thing better be glad it's already extinct.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:56 am

shntn wrote:
deputydog wrote:Just ran into the mauve dinosaur. WTF?
IKR? That thing better be glad it's already extinct.
Also, my roommate had to tell me that it's purple. I definitely had a brown color in mind.

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:45 am

So I have not taken PT 63 today. I am going to wait till Sat.

I got distracted by all the application threads.

Has anyone started applying already but just asking them to hold your application until the Oct scores are out? Or is everyone waiting till the scores come out to apply?

I was just going to wait and after the test have everything ready to go the day scores come out.

Volforlife

Bronze

Post by Volforlife » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:32 pm

PT 63 today
96/1-1 = 175

LR -1
LG -1
LRx-1
LR -2
RC -1

After worrying about inflation for several tests in the 50s, I'm happy to see that my mid 170s scores are continuing into more novel tests.

Jake Wyler

New

Post by Jake Wyler » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Gisney wrote:So I have not taken PT 63 today. I am going to wait till Sat.

Has anyone started applying already but just asking them to hold your application until the Oct scores are out? Or is everyone waiting till the scores come out to apply?

I was just going to wait and after the test have everything ready to go the day scores come out.
I'm waiting until after the score comes out for a number of reasons. First, which schools I apply to are determined by what score I get. I won't be applying to the T-14 if I completely wet the bed and only hang up a 162. Likewise, I'll apply to fewer T2 safety schools if I hang up a 172. Second, it makes sense to wait because if you get a good score (which all of us in this thread expect to do) then you can get some merit-based fee waivers (solicited and unsolicited). Applying now could cost you hundreds of dollars that you might not have to spend if you were to wait. Late October-early November is still early in the cycle, and the difference between applying now and waiting 4-5 weeks should not be that great

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Gisney wrote:So I have not taken PT 63 today. I am going to wait till Sat.

The advice I got and am currently heeding is to wait until Oct 6th to begin completing applications except for LORs and possibly PS. Everything else can be done during that down time between Oct 6th and score report date.

Err26

New

Post by Err26 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Err26 wrote:Any advice for a retaker with major difficulties on RC? Today I missed more on RC than on my other 3 sections combined! HELP! I'm reading the RC Powerscore Bible and also Manhattan LSAT, and nothing seems to help. RC is the only thing keeping me out of the 170s and Idk what to do because it's the least learnable, with just over a week to go til test day. Any advice would be appreciated!
How many are you getting wrong?
Anywhere between 3 (best case scenario) and 10 (Yes. literally 10, worst case scenario.) I'm getting better at all the other sections and worse at RC so it is keeping my score from improving because it offsets any progress I make. :cry:

OnTheRise

New

Post by OnTheRise » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:08 pm

This is my last chance to take the test and I am freaking out! The last two times I took the test i would consistently PT 170+ but then bombed on test day. Again, I my PT's have all been between 170 and 174 but I am freaking out that test day anxiety will set in and my dream of going to law school will be over.

Kaytei

New

Post by Kaytei » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:39 pm

I cannot handle the level of LSAT stress and it's still over a week away! I don't remember being this nervous last time. There are not enough days left to properly prepare!
Anyone else want to share in my hysteria?! :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:57 pm

OnTheRise wrote:This is my last chance to take the test and I am freaking out! The last two times I took the test i would consistently PT 170+ but then bombed on test day. Again, I my PT's have all been between 170 and 174 but I am freaking out that test day anxiety will set in and my dream of going to law school will be over.
Kaytei wrote:I cannot handle the level of LSAT stress and it's still over a week away! I don't remember being this nervous last time. There are not enough days left to properly prepare!
Anyone else want to share in my hysteria?! :shock:
Number One: Stop freaking out. Don't let the test stress you out. Keep in mind that the ability to stay calm impacts how clearly you think. Use this time to get your nerves under control and try to focus on developing a Zen state of mind you'll find useful on the test.

Number Two: You've spent a lot of time preparing, PTing and giving up free time. You have the skills. Adding stress or focusing too much on the test will keep you from exercising the skills you developed. So, repeat Number One - stop freaking out. Get a massage, make a "last week prep plan" to calmly reinforce your strategy, review older tests and do some light drilling to maintain your confidence level.

Before the Olympics or any major meet, athletes lower the intensity of their workouts and develop their stress-reducing techniques in order to perform at their best and not lose focus under the pressure of the competitive moment. I think a similar approach should help here.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:15 pm

RC on PTs 35, 36, and 38 today.

-4, -2, and -2 respectively.

Bubbled in, on time and everything but 34-35 minutes on each one. Lack of some familiarity (albeit 1 year+ ago) might hurt my timing on test day so that is still a giant worry for RC. + just a general fear of RC

Also did a random LR section, 29 minutes and -0! Feeling confident, and really hoping the first section on the Oct LSAT for me is Exp. LR to warm up.

Had exp. RC last time and 2 RC passages were a killer to my stamina....hopefully I will be prepared this time around for such things.

Pocahontas

New

Post by Pocahontas » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:18 pm

This. Test. Will. NOT. Beat. Me.

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:28 pm

Pocahontas wrote:This. Test. Will. NOT. Beat. US.
Edited :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm

PT51.5
LG:-1
LR:-0
LR:-4
RC:-2
Scaled Score: 171

Ok to be honest, after LG and LR, I skipped ahead to RC...got bored, went to gym...couple hours later I do LR2 (the -4) while hungrily anticipating dinner. I finished 10 mins early and just went ahead and checked it before eating.

I feel like my LG and LR are what they are at this point so I haven't been taking them too seriously, although I should probably be trying to develop a fail-proof method to mark risky questions. :oops: Atleast in LG I learned its always a good idea to sweep the question stems for any subtle distortions I might've missed during my extra time.

RC is pretty much the only thing I care about, and I do feel like I've been improving lately. I've just gone ahead and adopted a Voyager/Manhattan method of writing a couple word summary after every paragraph. Costs a couple seconds, but I feel like if I can't do this task, I'll be wasting much more time in the questions. Also I skim these summaries before hitting the questions.

Gonna take it easy until PT66 this weekend, that's one I'll definitely care about so hopefully these lazy/cocky issues go away.

naillsat

Bronze

Post by naillsat » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:06 am

Just finished PT 62,after my day job. Raw 94, scaled. 175

Rc -2
LR (pt 46 LR 1) -0
LR 1 -2
LG. -3 (PISSED me)
LR 2 -1

The curve is lenient though.

feeling good with RC improvement. Used to swing between -11 to -6..now stabilized. Below -4.

Weird typing on my phone.

andreskicdo

Bronze

Post by andreskicdo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:44 am

PT55, 56, and 57 as taken on Tues, Weds, and Today:

PT55

LR:-2
RCX: -0
RC: -4
LR: -5
LG: -2

Raw: 89 Scaled: 166

PT56

LG: -6 (uughhh)
LR: -5
LR: -2
LRX: -4
RC: -3

Raw: 83 Scaled: 165

PT57

LG: -5
RCX: -2
LR: -3
LR: -4
RC: -3

Raw: 86 Scaled: 167

Only a few more days of PTing. Coming to terms with my score avg....Will get PT58, 59 and 60 over the next three days.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:25 am

chadbrochill wrote:PT51.5
LG:-1
LR:-0
LR:-4
RC:-2
Scaled Score: 171

Ok to be honest, after LG and LR, I skipped ahead to RC...got bored, went to gym...couple hours later I do LR2 (the -4) while hungrily anticipating dinner. I finished 10 mins early and just went ahead and checked it before eating.

I feel like my LG and LR are what they are at this point so I haven't been taking them too seriously, although I should probably be trying to develop a fail-proof method to mark risky questions. :oops: Atleast in LG I learned its always a good idea to sweep the question stems for any subtle distortions I might've missed during my extra time.

RC is pretty much the only thing I care about, and I do feel like I've been improving lately. I've just gone ahead and adopted a Voyager/Manhattan method of writing a couple word summary after every paragraph. Costs a couple seconds, but I feel like if I can't do this task, I'll be wasting much more time in the questions. Also I skim these summaries before hitting the questions.

Gonna take it easy until PT66 this weekend, that's one I'll definitely care about so hopefully these lazy/cocky issues go away.
I kind of want to hit you in the nose with a rolled up newspaper. Getting bored during a PT? Who gives a crap! The real thing is going to be boring too.

Stay focused man. Run through the finish line, don't run to it.

As an aside... I've been testing really well, with my last 5 average at over 176 and last ten at just over 175. With that in mind, I've decided to slow my pace a bit to prevent burnout before the test. I'm going to do 64 tomorrow morning, 65 on Tuesday, and 66 (the Revenge) on Thursday, with some very light drilling in between and a little warmup before the exam. Does that make sense? Give me brutal feedback people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

defdef

Bronze

Post by defdef » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:55 am

took wormfather's advice and attacked a weak spot of mine, in/out grouping games. i still usually get through LG (relatively) unscathed, but if one of those pops up it usually costs me a lot of time, so i decided to try and iron out the wrinkles. drilled

PT20 LG2
PT22 LG4
PT23 LG3
PT24 LG4
PT32 LG2
PT33 LG2
PT36 LG1

feeling a lot better about the possibility of one coming up on the test

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:16 pm

By the way, PT 64 review on Sunday around 8. Get your last second review on!

OnTheRise

New

Post by OnTheRise » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:18 pm

I have taken many Practice tests both full length and just random timed sections. Overall, my scores tend to be mid to low 170's. However, yesterday I took the June 2010 test and only missed one question on the entire thing! I was curious if this test has been known to have been easy, if this was just luck, or if I am dealing with something bigger. I posted this question in a separate thread but have yet to receive any responses.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:27 pm

So that's PT 60? Even if it is an "easy" test, -1 on the whole thing is nothing to sniff at.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:37 pm

NoodleyOne wrote: I kind of want to hit you in the nose with a rolled up newspaper. Getting bored during a PT? Who gives a crap! The real thing is going to be boring too.

Stay focused man. Run through the finish line, don't run to it.

As an aside... I've been testing really well, with my last 5 average at over 176 and last ten at just over 175. With that in mind, I've decided to slow my pace a bit to prevent burnout before the test. I'm going to do 64 tomorrow morning, 65 on Tuesday, and 66 (the Revenge) on Thursday, with some very light drilling in between and a little warmup before the exam. Does that make sense? Give me brutal feedback people.
Ur right man, I needed that. I'll get back on track now.

Your plan sounds good, make sure to eat and rest well from here on out.

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:25 pm

PT 63 today.

It went terrible :oops:

LR1: -0
LR2: -3 :?:
LG: -2 :shock:
RC: -4 :|

Raw: 92
Scaled: 171 :cry: :cry: :cry:

By far the worst I have done since prep has started back.

I went ahead and reviewed and am really disappointed in myself.

LG and LR were just plain stupid mistakes. Either I wasn't focused or I was speeding through it but I cannot believe some of the mistakes I made. Just goes to show that concentration is a game changer.

While I am not thrilled with RC it is not crazy. It was a difficult section. Surprisingly the only one I missed in the infamous Chopin passage was one I changed my correct answer to the wrong one in the last seconds. It did take awhile to get through that part so I was slightly rushed through the last two sections where I missed the other 3. Need to make sure I keep my timing on track with RC.

So I realize that this is an outlier score. My average for the past 10 tests has been a 179 and the lowest I have scored before today was a 175.

But of course telling myself it is not something to worry about does not prevent me from worrying. A little freaked and wishing this had not happened in last week before the test.

I only have PT64-66 left so I need to make sure I am on my game for those so I don't go into the test worried.

:(

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Took PT 64 yesterday for a 173! :) By far the worst section was games (-6), but when I reworked it I saw that there were only 2 that I legitimately didn't understand how to do; the rest were errors due to rushing.

Hoping to keep up the 170+ streak I've been on.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:49 pm

I just printed out my ticket and glued my picture to it. It has just set in. The test is here.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”