October 2012 Retakers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
chadbrochill

Bronze

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Post by chadbrochill » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:53 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Just finished PT 64 myself...

LR1: -1
LG: -0
LR2: -3 (wtf)
RC: -1
Raw: 96/101
Scaled: 177

Last three tests were 178, 178, 177, so that makes me feel good. Other than that, I'm a little worried about my LR performance, as the last two tests those have been my weakest sections. Might spend some time going back over MLSAT and LRB to find where some of the holes are (I take too long on formal logic, I know, but I still finish with 5+ minutes left). RC, over the last five tests I have gone TOTAL -5, or an average of -1 per test, so that is a definite improvement, and LG is still solid. I feel ready, although this backsliding in LR is a little worrisome.

Review tomorrow at 8pm!
We'll talk more about it during the review but PT64 LR2 had an uncharacteristic stretch of of parallel/principle questions at the end...I wouldn't take a -3 too hard about that particular section.

cloudhidden

Bronze

Post by cloudhidden » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:54 am

In endless debate over postponing this test. I took PT 66 on Saturday and 100% tanked LG. The third game threw the whole section down the toilet because I misread one of the rules about which level had to have more members. -11. Ouch. By far worst section I've had in this prep. I had been drilling LG like crazy lately, and I think my mind became dulled to the process. I'm slated to receive the third edition of Manhattan's Logic Games guide on Monday so that gives me some extra motivation to withdraw from October and only take it in December.

I don't want to start another October v. December thread if I can air my concerns here. I have taken the test twice (160 in 2010, 165 in 2011). I wanted to take the test in October with December as my fall back. I did average 168 on my last thirteen PTs before the debacle on 66. I ran some interesting analysis and found that if I could have been at a consistent -0 or -1 on LG my average would have shot up to 172. However, my last five scores have a definite downward trend (171,169,167,167,163). I told myself that I wouldn't take the test unless I could reasonably expect a 170.

My woes have come on the newer tests. I originally planned to save two 60s PTs as an ace in the hole for December. I have yet to do 62,63,64,65. If I stop my prep for October I will have five untouched PTs to take before December. I think I may need more than a week to reckon with the new tests.

With that said, it made sense for me to attempt October before my recent woes. My declining performance may have also resulted from overstudying, in which case, a week or two off could help revive my scores back into the 170s. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of withdrawing. I have heard various opinions about the impact of a late application. I want T-14 with a chance at T-6. I have a 3.7x gpa, two years of scattered work experience, but otherwise average softs. I do not want another ~165 on my record. My other option is to take one more PT next Tuesday or Wednesday and then go from there. What do you guys think?

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:02 am

Bad news... won't be able to review tonight. I encourage you all to do it without me, though.

jjrialva

Bronze

Post by jjrialva » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:03 pm

What are you schedules for this week?

I will have someone arranged my last prep test LG section to the new format. 2 full pages for one game.

On thursday I'll do some space out drilling of every section friday some limited drilling no passage drilling I want my RAM empty. On saturday I might do 10 LR questions just to get the mindset right before the test.

jjrialva

Bronze

Post by jjrialva » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:06 pm

cloudhidden wrote:In endless debate over postponing this test. I took PT 66 on Saturday and 100% tanked LG. The third game threw the whole section down the toilet because I misread one of the rules about which level had to have more members. -11. Ouch. By far worst section I've had in this prep. I had been drilling LG like crazy lately, and I think my mind became dulled to the process. I'm slated to receive the third edition of Manhattan's Logic Games guide on Monday so that gives me some extra motivation to withdraw from October and only take it in December.

I don't want to start another October v. December thread if I can air my concerns here. I have taken the test twice (160 in 2010, 165 in 2011). I wanted to take the test in October with December as my fall back. I did average 168 on my last thirteen PTs before the debacle on 66. I ran some interesting analysis and found that if I could have been at a consistent -0 or -1 on LG my average would have shot up to 172. However, my last five scores have a definite downward trend (171,169,167,167,163). I told myself that I wouldn't take the test unless I could reasonably expect a 170.

My woes have come on the newer tests. I originally planned to save two 60s PTs as an ace in the hole for December. I have yet to do 62,63,64,65. If I stop my prep for October I will have five untouched PTs to take before December. I think I may need more than a week to reckon with the new tests.

With that said, it made sense for me to attempt October before my recent woes. My declining performance may have also resulted from overstudying, in which case, a week or two off could help revive my scores back into the 170s. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of withdrawing. I have heard various opinions about the impact of a late application. I want T-14 with a chance at T-6. I have a 3.7x gpa, two years of scattered work experience, but otherwise average softs. I do not want another ~165 on my record. My other option is to take one more PT next Tuesday or Wednesday and then go from there. What do you guys think?
It might be overstudying it might be that the just got harder and/or more unpredictable I was Pting 167-168 with a peak at 171 and it's been all going downhill from there... If I were you I would do one more test some drills and leave those other tests untouched in case something happens on this one (it won't, just in case of a fire you know) for december..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cloudhidden

Bronze

Post by cloudhidden » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:25 pm

jjrialva wrote:
cloudhidden wrote:In endless debate over postponing this test. I took PT 66 on Saturday and 100% tanked LG. The third game threw the whole section down the toilet because I misread one of the rules about which level had to have more members. -11. Ouch. By far worst section I've had in this prep. I had been drilling LG like crazy lately, and I think my mind became dulled to the process. I'm slated to receive the third edition of Manhattan's Logic Games guide on Monday so that gives me some extra motivation to withdraw from October and only take it in December.

It might be overstudying it might be that the just got harder and/or more unpredictable I was Pting 167-168 with a peak at 171 and it's been all going downhill from there... If I were you I would do one more test some drills and leave those other tests untouched in case something happens on this one (it won't, just in case of a fire you know) for december..
I hear ya. I just don't even know whether its worth taking in October if I can't expect to reach my goals. Two more months could definitely help stablize LG. But then again, it's hard to pass up on a test you already paid for especially if schools don't average.

Volforlife

Bronze

Post by Volforlife » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:45 pm

PT 64 this morning
91/101 = 173

LR -4
LG -1
RCx -2
LR -4
RC -1

Pretty disappointed with LR, because I generally miss about 2 per section. Still, I'm happy that I pulled a 173 even with some abnormalities. Also, after completing the ambassador game, I realized I had written the last rule incorrectly, had to (basically) rework the entire game, and still finished with some time left. That feels really good after not finishing the LG section in June.

Anyway, who all is doing the PT 64 review tonight?

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:26 pm

cloudhidden wrote:
jjrialva wrote:

I hear ya. I just don't even know whether its worth taking in October if I can't expect to reach my goals. Two more months could definitely help stablize LG. But then again, it's hard to pass up on a test you already paid for especially if schools don't average.

Another thing to consider is that you can only take the LSAT 3 times in a 2 year period. So if you take Oct and don't like your score, you may have to wait to take it again depending on when you took in in 2010.

Other then that if you are not cofident that you can score what you need to in Oct then you should wait. It is better to wait and put in a solid 170+ score rather then having 4 scores. I would think so anyway.

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Took PT 66, got a 163 (misbubbled 2 LG questions...accidently bubbled twice on 1 question leaving the other blank...cost me a perfect LG and a 165).

I'm really nervous because I'm averaging at around the 165 range although I've hit 168-171+ quite a bit as well (although a decent number of those tests were not entirely brand new).

PT 66 was just brutal for RC. Does anyone even have the answer to #22 of that PT's RC?

Anyone have tips for RC in general?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

VUSisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by VUSisterRayVU » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:55 pm

I'm really disheartened. Been scoring in the 170s pretty consistently until like, PT60 where it's been 16x 17x 17x and now doing PT64, I scored the exact same that I did a year ago. I'm trying to tell myself that it just confirms that the test was difficult for me, that it was just a perfect storm of targeting my weaknesses, but it really wiped me. I'm shook and there's only two more PTs left before the big one and I'm scared.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:10 pm

boblawlob wrote:Took PT 66, got a 163 (misbubbled 2 LG questions...accidently bubbled twice on 1 question leaving the other blank...cost me a perfect LG and a 165).

I'm really nervous because I'm averaging at around the 165 range although I've hit 168-171+ quite a bit as well (although a decent number of those tests were not entirely brand new).

PT 66 was just brutal for RC. Does anyone even have the answer to #22 of that PT's RC?

Anyone have tips for RC in general?
66's RC was a joke compared to 65 and most of the rest of the 60s. Only 63 I think has been easier.

I missed 7 in June though so what do I know!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:12 pm

VUSisterRayVU wrote:I'm really disheartened. Been scoring in the 170s pretty consistently until like, PT60 where it's been 16x 17x 17x and now doing PT64, I scored the exact same that I did a year ago. I'm trying to tell myself that it just confirms that the test was difficult for me, that it was just a perfect storm of targeting my weaknesses, but it really wiped me. I'm shook and there's only two more PTs left before the big one and I'm scared.
You can still repeat them again.... Take 7 if you want.

I plan to repeat 60-66 this week in between drilling some RC/light LR. I've just seen most of the 60s in the past two weeks, but I'd rather 99.9 them than take older PTs or take nothing at all.

VUSisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by VUSisterRayVU » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:28 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
VUSisterRayVU wrote:I'm really disheartened. Been scoring in the 170s pretty consistently until like, PT60 where it's been 16x 17x 17x and now doing PT64, I scored the exact same that I did a year ago. I'm trying to tell myself that it just confirms that the test was difficult for me, that it was just a perfect storm of targeting my weaknesses, but it really wiped me. I'm shook and there's only two more PTs left before the big one and I'm scared.
You can still repeat them again.... Take 7 if you want.

I plan to repeat 60-66 this week in between drilling some RC/light LR. I've just seen most of the 60s in the past two weeks, but I'd rather 99.9 them than take older PTs or take nothing at all.
I'm going to go over them, but I dunno, this took a lot out of me. i just can't believe i fucked up so bad again. i went in thinking PT64 would be a confidence boost and now it's just fuck everything

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:00 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Bad news... won't be able to review tonight. I encourage you all to do it without me, though.
doing 65 on monday, 66 on wed. when are you reviewing these, mate (no, I am not Aussie)?

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:57 pm

Hello all,

dropping in for some solidarity on this last week stretch. Almost all of my nails have been bitten off, I'm anxious as hell, and I'm pretty sure everyone can understand/empathize with that.

I'll be retaking from the June test. My plan is to do PT 64 on Tues and PT 65 on Thurs. So far, 62 and 63 haven't been kind to me, and I've been doing about the same as my June test...so frustrating :evil: But we shall see what PT 64 and 65 brings.

Ack I would really like to apply this application cycle...

dba415

New

Post by dba415 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:13 am

PT63 today

LR1: -2 (left 2 blank intentionally cause I slightly remembered them and don't know if I would have gotten it correct otherwise)
LG: -1
LR2: -3
RC: -3

Man, the curve was not as good as it was in the previous tests, probably because the logic games were very easy.

I reallly want a 173+ on Saturday, don't know if I can get it. Might have to take it a 3rd time in December.

defdef

Bronze

Post by defdef » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:32 am

same as dba, looking for a 173 but unsure if i'll be able to get it.. PT 62 really slammed me today. the LR questions in the 60s seem so much longer ><

PT 62:

RC: -3
LR: -4
LG: -1
LR: -3

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bdeebs

Bronze

Post by bdeebs » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:50 am

I found newish material that I haven't done yet! So I'm doing PT 51 today. All new LR...hoping for the best :)

jjrialva

Bronze

Post by jjrialva » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:36 pm

I started a PT today and had to stop. I wasn't really concentrating at all. It might be that I only had like 7 hours of sleep or that I did a PT Saturday. I'm trying to move my natural clock to wake up at 6am so at 9am I'll be completely awake. I'm gonna rest until new PT Wednesday and after that gonna rest Thursday and Friday.. maybe having a glimpse of the material both days maybe 1 hour only..

the nerves are getting the best of me... any suggestions?

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:50 pm

It's official, I'm burnt out. I only had one PT planned this week, but I decided to cancel it. Monday night football, a couple beers and a week of relaxation I think will do me more good than taking a test I can't focus on. I hate to do this, this late in the game... but I feel it's the only thing to do. Please give me reassurances or kicks in the ass, I need advice.

Chambo

Bronze

Post by Chambo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:55 pm

deputydog wrote:It's official, I'm burnt out. I only had one PT planned this week, but I decided to cancel it. Monday night football, a couple beers and a week of relaxation I think will do me more good than taking a test I can't focus on. I hate to do this, this late in the game... but I feel it's the only thing to do. Please give me reassurances or kicks in the ass, I need advice.
An entire week off seems like a bit much. Maybe try to squeeze a test in Wednesday or Thursday to make sure you don't lose your touch?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

johnmuir1

New

Post by johnmuir1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:58 pm

deputydog wrote:It's official, I'm burnt out. I only had one PT planned this week, but I decided to cancel it. Monday night football, a couple beers and a week of relaxation I think will do me more good than taking a test I can't focus on. I hate to do this, this late in the game... but I feel it's the only thing to do. Please give me reassurances or kicks in the ass, I need advice.
You could try doing some timed sections, instead of entire tests. I find that when I'm feeling drained I can do a few sections and still get the practice I need.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Chambo wrote:
An entire week off seems like a bit much. Maybe try to squeeze a test in Wednesday or Thursday to make sure you don't lose your touch?

OnTheRise

New

Post by OnTheRise » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Anybody got any advice on how to deal with test day anxiety? I am well prepared and consistently scoring 170+ but I am really starting to freak out. I was in a similar situation last time I took the test and completely choked and I am afraid that the same thing will happen again.

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Took PT 66 today. Didn't review it back in July, and the test was a blur so it was all new to me.

167, raw 86 (with an interruption). Was reminded of that brutal curve.

Feeling good about Saturday. Tighten up LR and do some games for the rest of the week is the plan.

What has seriously helped the most has been drilling and taking in less caffeine. Had a tall americano as opposed to the usual grande.
Much less jittery, actually focused.

LET'S DO THIS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”