October 2012 Retakers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Easy-E

Platinum

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Post by Easy-E » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:29 am

Eberry wrote:
99.9luft wrote:Good job on the 169, still. hopefully our curve is going to be at least -11 instead of the POS you guys got in June. So, welcome back. Any retaking advice? My plan is to PT 40-66 and drill 90s LG and everything in the PT 30s. Thoughts?

I'm still not over this yet.
Yeah I'm pretty pissed about that games section not demanding at least -11.

Plan seems solid luft. I guess you're planning to start early than me (or already have). I'm shooting for a late August return to prep, I might glance over my Velocity books and drill a bit from Kaplan Mastery to get me warmed up, but I plan on doing the majority of my prep by way of the newest PTs and in-depth review (i.e. writing out explanations for every single question I miss or am unsure of, verbalizing why these answers were wrong and why only this one was right, searching on where in the passage RC answers are confirmed/excluded, and repeating games to find the best approach). I really hope I can repeat my LR and RC performance from June (-3) and get that damn games score up. They seem to be pretty hit or miss for me, in my June prep I had tests where I swept games, then tests where I'd screw up big and miss 6-7 (like I did in June).

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:44 am

emarxnj wrote:
Eberry wrote:
99.9luft wrote:Good job on the 169, still. hopefully our curve is going to be at least -11 instead of the POS you guys got in June. So, welcome back. Any retaking advice? My plan is to PT 40-66 and drill 90s LG and everything in the PT 30s. Thoughts?

Plan seems solid luft. I guess you're planning to start early than me (or already have). I'm shooting for a late August return to prep, I might glance over my Velocity books and drill a bit from Kaplan Mastery to get me warmed up, but I plan on doing the majority of my prep by way of the newest PTs and in-depth review (i.e. writing out explanations for every single question I miss or am unsure of, verbalizing why these answers were wrong and why only this one was right, searching on where in the passage RC answers are confirmed/excluded, and repeating games to find the best approach). I really hope I can repeat my LR and RC performance from June (-3) and get that damn games score up. They seem to be pretty hit or miss for me, in my June prep I had tests where I swept games, then tests where I'd screw up big and miss 6-7 (like I did in June).
cool, sounds good. Let me know if I can help in any way in terms of LG. By mid-Aug., i should be in the -0 territory on LG.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:50 am

99.9luft wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Eberry wrote:

cool, sounds good. Let me know if I can help in any way in terms of LG. By mid-Aug., i should be in the -0 territory on LG.
Are you going through Velocity? I thought I remembered you mentioning that a few pages back.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:53 am

emarxnj wrote:
Are you going through Velocity? I thought I remembered you mentioning that a few pages back.
Oh, no I was asking what was the difference between them and MLSAT - i feel like I am an MLSAT loyalist and don't feel like cheating on it with Velocity; plus it's that i don't wanna spend more money for stuff which will be largely the same. I may be wrong - was V better than MLSAT? and if so, how?

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:14 pm

99.9luft wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Oh, no I was asking what was the difference between them and MLSAT - i feel like I am an MLSAT loyalist and don't feel like cheating on it with Velocity; plus it's that i don't wanna spend more money for stuff which will be largely the same. I may be wrong - was V better than MLSAT? and if so, how?
I only ever read the MLSAT LG book (but I have RC somewhere I believe). I found both to be pretty solid, though Velocity seemed to click better for me personally. That might be indicative of the course overall though, as I generally prepped better with the structure Velocity offered. I'll probably include both in my pre-PT prep.

And shit, I do NOT want to study for this again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:21 pm

emarxnj wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
I only ever read the MLSAT LG book (but I have RC somewhere I believe). I found both to be pretty solid, though Velocity seemed to click better for me personally. That might be indicative of the course overall though, as I generally prepped better with the structure Velocity offered. I'll probably include both in my pre-PT prep.

Gotha, thanks. Yeah MLSAT LG was my least favorite of the three, so def. check out the other two. I know what you mean...so sick of this damn test.

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Taking for the first time in Oct., so sorry to but in, but have you guys done any "partially defined" (LGB categorization) games? I drilled six of them in a row last night and got -0 cumulative. I'm decent at games, but none of these games seemed difficult at all, all of them took around 6 minutes total. I found this surprising since most of them were originally the last game in their section.

Are these still around, and has anyone noticed this in their prep so far?

Unfortunately, from the games I've done, I feel like this is a game type that probably isn't around very much anymore...

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:45 pm

99.9luft wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Gotha, thanks. Yeah MLSAT LG was my least favorite of the three, so def. check out the other two. I know what you mean...so sick of this damn test.
Yupp. IIRC you were in the October '11 group right?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:47 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Yupp. IIRC you were in the October '11 group right?
Actually, June '11

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NeedADrink

New

Post by NeedADrink » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Last edited by NeedADrink on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:38 pm

NeedADrink wrote:Would Velocity be worth it for me on a retake, given that I already have a 170? I don't want to shell out money I don't have to, but I like the idea of being able to match videos up to specific question types (and then drill those types) which is something I haven't really done yet.
Im taking the course off a 167 from June. But honestly, unless you have an identifiable weak point (mine is LR) then I would say save your money.

NeedADrink

New

Post by NeedADrink » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:51 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:
NeedADrink wrote:Would Velocity be worth it for me on a retake, given that I already have a 170? I don't want to shell out money I don't have to, but I like the idea of being able to match videos up to specific question types (and then drill those types) which is something I haven't really done yet.
Im taking the course off a 167 from June. But honestly, unless you have an identifiable weak point (mine is LR) then I would say save your money.
Alright - I just bought Manhattan's books off Amazon. Hopefully those will give me a new perspective I haven't seen yet.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:58 pm

NeedADrink wrote:
MillerTheThriller wrote:
Alright - I just bought Manhattan's books off Amazon. Hopefully those will give me a new perspective I haven't seen yet.
Manhattan is good - i am not sure what you've taken before as far as prep class goes, but MLSAT has more intricate methods for RC and LR that I haven't seen in TM and BP, for instance (let alone PR and Kraplan).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NeedADrink

New

Post by NeedADrink » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:45 pm

99.9luft wrote:
NeedADrink wrote:
MillerTheThriller wrote:
Manhattan is good - i am not sure what you've taken before as far as prep class goes, but MLSAT has more intricate methods for RC and LR that I haven't seen in TM and BP, for instance (let alone PR and Kraplan).
I've never touched any kind of prep class before. I've flipped through the bibles (I can't really even say I've read them cover to cover) but that's it.

andreskicdo

Bronze

Post by andreskicdo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:56 am

Finally Started Velocity Games. Let's see how this goes. I'm using velocity for the games and the bibles for LR and RC. Any recommendations to boost RC?

imdrinkingcoffee

New

Post by imdrinkingcoffee » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Checking in!
I'll be retaking also. This Velocity thing seems interesting. I don't know how I didn't hear about it until now.
Hope it helps...here's to the fun of retaking the LSAT :)

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Hello October retakers. I officially started my prep yesterday. First diagnostic was 158, exactly what I got last June. To my surprise, the logical reasoning sections were easier than I remember. Reading comp kicked my ass, I didn't even finish the last passage and skipped a few questions on the third one. The games were OK, I am not so concerned about this section because I believe is the easiest to improve with plain practice.
I got the blueprint movie and I am glad I did because their explanations resemble powerscore or what I recall from their bibles.
Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sadieche2464

New

Post by Sadieche2464 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi all! Will be starting my prep again for October--- also got a 158 in June :cry: so I'm hoping to improve by about 10 points. I hope that's possible in less than 3 months...

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:12 pm

andreskicdo wrote:Finally Started Velocity Games. Let's see how this goes. I'm using velocity for the games and the bibles for LR and RC. Any recommendations to boost RC?
I found that doing RC sections untimed allowed me to see where
I was losing focus.
My college major also requires me to read stuff that's very similar to
LSAT RC passages, and I think that helped a lot.

Try to construct the framework of the passage as you read.
So the first paragraphs says this, the third paragraph is doing what, etc.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:30 pm

Are most of you planning on writing your personal essays and other essays while waiting for the October scores (oh god I can't wait for another one of these)?

ruhl88

New

Post by ruhl88 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:38 pm

emarxnj wrote:Are most of you planning on writing your personal essays and other essays while waiting for the October scores (oh god I can't wait for another one of these)?
That's my plan so long as I have all other app requirements complete.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sadieche2464

New

Post by Sadieche2464 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 pm

emarxnj wrote:Are most of you planning on writing your personal essays and other essays while waiting for the October scores (oh god I can't wait for another one of these)?

I tried to start but at this point it would be eating my prep time and the LSAT is probably more important so I'm thinking I'll wait for after the test

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:04 pm

I've been working on mine when I get fed up with LSAT prep.
It's nice to go back and forth.

seacow

New

Post by seacow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:17 pm

2nd day of prep. Did some RC again. I feel a lot better with my new annotation method of very brief notes about the function of particular sentences in the passage and bracketing the thesis/subsidiary conclusions. I got ~8 wrong in 8 passages. A few minutes over on time, though.

I still need to work on the skill of reading comprehension. I read pretty slow and my vocabulary is pretty slow; I have never read much. Any chance I can greatly improve on this skill before October?

I like to go back and forth too. I figure if I only write when I am inspired (as opposed to forcefully hammering it out as I wait for the Oct score) it will result in a much better PS.

Edit: Vocab is bad, obv

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:20 pm

I need a reliable study partner who I can meet with during afternoons (US) over skype. I plan to do RC from PTs 1-38 until mid-august, then PT. I have a few casual study partners but no one who's really into drilling RC as much as I am (since I bombed for -7 in June). I scored 168 on June, PTing 173-175 (targeting at least that in October) and looking for someone with a similar mindset.

Please let me know if you're interested.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”