October 2012 Retakers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TheThriller

Gold

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Post by TheThriller » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:29 am

Finishing LR by the end of next week and will be spending the week after that on RC directed study. Pretty much after that it's section drills and PTs.

Had to buy another computer charger ($85) which resulted in me loosing some money for food/alcoholic beverages. Even though I'm still in UG I hate asking my parents for money.

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:11 pm

jigglebottom wrote:
Yep..last one. Kinda unnerving huh? I usually PT around mid-160s as well btw. And yes hastings is solid but I don't think it's worth the cost. I cant rationalize taking on that debt. I'm really bummed.
It definitely is man, I can't wait for this perpetual waiting game to finally be over. Debt is also a huge factor for me, too. I'd rather attend a school lower in the ranks (still solid rep, of course) if it meant lower debt.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Fucking 171 on PT 29 today. Maybe it was the month+ off from PTing or studying, but my LR took a big hit (-7 overall, -3 RC and -1 LG due to misbubbling). When my Manhattan books get back I'm going to focus strongly on LR while doing some drilling of LG and RC to stay sharp. That was the worst I've done in LR in probably 10 PTs, including June.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:44 pm

rglifberg wrote:
jigglebottom wrote:
Yep..last one. Kinda unnerving huh? I usually PT around mid-160s as well btw. And yes hastings is solid but I don't think it's worth the cost. I cant rationalize taking on that debt. I'm really bummed.
It definitely is man, I can't wait for this perpetual waiting game to finally be over. Debt is also a huge factor for me, too. I'd rather attend a school lower in the ranks (still solid rep, of course) if it meant lower debt.
I am the same way, very debt averse. Would you ever consider LS part time, say GULC over strong regional with money?

jgirl

New

Post by jgirl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:27 pm

JohnV wrote:
jgirl wrote:Hi, everyone. Started lurking on TLS a few months ago, since I was pretty much clueless about law school admissions. Took a Princeton Review course and unfortunately didn't take it too seriously (since I wasn't serious about LS yet). Anyway, didn't prep the way I should have and ended up with a 156 after PTing around a 165. I think I was overconfident. This, coupled with a bad GPA, doesn't bode well for me. Planning on retaking in October now that I'm done with my senior year, landed a job and moved. I'm getting work experience right now but am unsure which cycle to apply in.
Geez, must be nice to be able to drop that kind of cash on something you don't even intend on taking seriously.
Yeah, it probably wasn't a good move in hindsight, but I was fortunate enough to leave undergrad without any debt. I lived at home all four years, had a job and earned scholarships. Considering everything, it wasn't that frivolous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:56 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote: I am the same way, very debt averse. Would you ever consider LS part time, say GULC over strong regional with money?
I'm looking into PT programs and would willingly go for it...except I have no work experience and when you apply
I'm sure they look at what you're doing/have a job and aren't just hanging around DC looking for one.

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Eberry wrote:
Trout et al wrote:This will be my third try, as well. Are most of you guys studying everyday or taking days off? How many PT's a week should I be doing a week to build the stamina tqhat I lacked in Feb and June?

What are you referring to in discussing a lack of stamina? Individual sections? Fizzling out near the end of the test?

If it is the latter, there was a discussion in this subforum earlier in the year about a young man who was having trouble near the end of his pre-tests. He would start out strong then waver around the 2-2:30 hour mark. In an attempt to improve, he did a week of back-to-back testing (i.e. One 3:30 hour test, then, after a short break, another 3:30 hour test). It worked for him. I don't know if I'd necessarily recommend his course of action, as it might result in a bit of a burnout for other individuals, but it is an idea to play around with.
I might try that. Any advice on if I should go as hard as possible (4-5 PT's per week with drilling on other days) until about mid September and then slow down a little bit to rest, or the exact opposite where I ease into it ( just focus on drilling different LR/ LG sections most days for a couple hours and 2 PT's a week.) Or should I just go as hard as possible, 3-4 hours a day everyday with a day off every once in awhile all the way until october 6th? What is everyone's philosophy on this?

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:29 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
jigglebottom wrote:
I am the same way, very debt averse. Would you ever consider LS part time, say GULC over strong regional with money?
That's a tough one. I'd definitely consider it, but it would depend on how much money I was making while doing PT. I think ultimately I'd still go with the $$$. 100k+ debt is scary now, I can't imagine what it's like once you start actually paying the loans back.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:09 pm

I'm still waiting on my PTs to show up. I got on UPS website to track my package, they were on a train, and it fucking derailed! WTF?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Trout et al wrote:
Eberry wrote:
Trout et al wrote:This will be my third try, as well. Are most of you guys studying everyday or taking days off? How many PT's a week should I be doing a week to build the stamina tqhat I lacked in Feb and June?

What are you referring to in discussing a lack of stamina? Individual sections? Fizzling out near the end of the test?

If it is the latter, there was a discussion in this subforum earlier in the year about a young man who was having trouble near the end of his pre-tests. He would start out strong then waver around the 2-2:30 hour mark. In an attempt to improve, he did a week of back-to-back testing (i.e. One 3:30 hour test, then, after a short break, another 3:30 hour test). It worked for him. I don't know if I'd necessarily recommend his course of action, as it might result in a bit of a burnout for other individuals, but it is an idea to play around with.
I might try that. Any advice on if I should go as hard as possible (4-5 PT's per week with drilling on other days) until about mid September and then slow down a little bit to rest, or the exact opposite where I ease into it ( just focus on drilling different LR/ LG sections most days for a couple hours and 2 PT's a week.) Or should I just go as hard as possible, 3-4 hours a day everyday with a day off every once in awhile all the way until october 6th? What is everyone's philosophy on this?
I would space out PTs with drilling of sections/questions that are giving you a lot of trouble. This early I wouldn't think more than two full PTs a week, and amp it up to three closer to the test, but you may be different.

jigglebottom

Bronze

Post by jigglebottom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:52 pm

bigdogmoe wrote:I'm still waiting on my PTs to show up. I got on UPS website to track my package, they were on a train, and it fucking derailed! WTF?

god?

jigglebottom

Bronze

Post by jigglebottom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:00 pm

I remember an earlier post about using old test materials. (Totally tl;dred the last few pages)

This is something retakers are usually forced to deal with. I hope I forgot most of the material from about 50-66 already, but I do have some fresh, old tests. (1-20somethings)

These are still good for the most part correct?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:22 pm

restarted studying by drilling 90s LGs

Need to stop doing them late at night, when the brain is fried. Have to get my -0 mojo back this weekend!

PT# / #missed

1......-1
2...... -1
3...... -3
4...... -1
5...... -1
6...... -8
7...... 0
8...... -4
9...... -1
10.....-1
11.....-1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Confession:

Have been majorly slacking off these past few days
for a few personal reasons.

So my daruma doll that my Asian studies teacher back in hs
gave me has come out and is staring at me to get that 170+...

Generic daruma doll that's supposed to help with goal setting:

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:29 pm

No excuses! GET TO WORK!

tarheelman1109

New

Post by tarheelman1109 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi all! I'm so relieved to find this thread. It's nice to have a support system for those taking the LSAT a third time--most of my family is concerned about me postponing law school to retake. Anyways, i was trying to find an online class to sign up for in the next couple of days. Has anyone taken an online class (ie testmasters, manhattan, etc) or heard of any good classes? I was thinking about TM, but wanted some advice before i started! Thanks in advance.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:42 pm

tarheelman1109 wrote:Hi all! I'm so relieved to find this thread. It's nice to have a support system for those taking the LSAT a third time--most of my family is concerned about me postponing law school to retake. Anyways, i was trying to find an online class to sign up for in the next couple of days. Has anyone taken an online class (ie testmasters, manhattan, etc) or heard of any good classes? I was thinking about TM, but wanted some advice before i started! Thanks in advance.
I heard BP's decent: http://blueprintprep.com/online-lsat-prep-course

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:37 am

EDIT: needed stuff, got stuff. No longer relevant.
Last edited by 99.9luft on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andreskicdo

Bronze

Post by andreskicdo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Doing some chapters and LR drilling so far -2 out of 12. I think I need to take a break for now and get back at it a bit later today. Workout time.

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Back at it. I keep lurking in the law student/graduate forum and if that's not motivation (the debt, the depression, and the offers)....

I want to take a PT tomorrow, but I've done all of them (except some in the 40s) and I remember answers well.

Volforlife

Bronze

Post by Volforlife » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Took my first PT since June today. 174! Even better because it was on a test I didn't use for my first round of prep (PT 40, and I didn't use 39-51). There is hope for my 170 yet.

LR -4
LG -1
RC -1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Volforlife wrote:Took my first PT since June today. 174! Even better because it was on a test I didn't use for my first round of prep (PT 40, and I didn't use 39-51). There is hope for my 170 yet.

LR -4
LG -1
RC -1
Nicely done. For some reason the time off has killed my LR game, I think. Going to go through the Manhattan guide when it gets here first thing (although I may do it concurrently with the RC guide). 180land is approaching.

EstherG

New

Post by EstherG » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi all! I did a lot of lurking before the June test and finally got up the courage to actually post.

Since I've started studying again, I've had a lot of inconsistency in my scores (especially in LR and RC). This was a big problem for me when I was studying for June, so its something I want to make sure I address this time. I searched old posts, but most of what I found was about the occasional outlier, and my scores seem to be fluctuating more frequently. (For example, I can go anywhere from -1 to -6 on two given LR sections, even on the same day). I'm wondering if this is a problem with my study plan or some kind of mental block/focus issue? Any insight is helpful

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Wormfather wrote:After a few weeks of indecisiveness and tooling around on my own I've plunked the $500 down and bought the full Velocity course. I'm ready to do this.
You got this, worm :)
Since I've started studying again, I've had a lot of inconsistency in my scores (especially in LR and RC). This was a big problem for me when I was studying for June, so its something I want to make sure I address this time. I searched old posts, but most of what I found was about the occasional outlier, and my scores seem to be fluctuating more frequently. (For example, I can go anywhere from -1 to -6 on two given LR sections, even on the same day). I'm wondering if this is a problem with my study plan or some kind of mental block/focus issue? Any insight is helpful
The only real fluctuations I noticed in my first round of prep were when I started a new PS Bible, those scores rose but the others dropped. It was weird.
CC linked this website at some point and I love it. --LinkRemoved--
It tracks how you do on your PTs and tracks which question types you miss most often. It may be that your fluctuations are coming from differences in the number of question types that challenge you. This could help point to the problem.
If you aren't already doing it, make sure you mark every question you find challenging as you test, and go back and review those and the ones you got wrong in depth. You may begin to see patterns in where you're going wrong.

Nice job on the 174 Vol, and Noodley, I just started Manhattan LR and LOVE it. It's already worlds more helpful than the LR Bible. The map to 180land will be arriving in the mail shortly :)

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:50 am

99.9luft wrote:restarted studying by drilling 90s LGs

Need to stop doing them late at night, when the brain is fried. Have to get my -0 mojo back this weekend!

PT# / #missed

1......-1
2...... -1
3...... -3
4...... -1
5...... -1
6...... -8
7...... 0
8...... -4
9...... -1
10.....-1
11.....-1
Today's LG drilling results - my curse of imperfect LG sections is still true, apparently. Can I puhleeeeaze not make dumb mistakes? This shit has got to stop in August

12.....-1
13.....-1
14.....-2
15.....-1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”