October 2012 Retakers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Gisney

Bronze

Re: October 2012 Retakers

Post by Gisney » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 pm

I am usually really annoyed with the emails from law schools that fill up my inbox because they are rarely from anywhere I would consider going but today I read one that made me lol

We heard that you are interested in attending law school. We hope you have had an opportunity to take a closer look at the salient features of our law school. Our location in Washington, D.C. places us just minutes from the United States Congress, the Supreme Court, the White House, federal government agencies and courts, numerous private law firms, corporations and nonprofit organizations. Enrolling at [omit] law will allow you to observe and experience firsthand a wide range of law practice as interns and law clerks with the legal departments of these various entities.
Plus their return email address has the word butts in it.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:35 pm

Juet got my passport photo today. It's coming.

Anyway, I think i may skip retaking 66 and just drill Lr for the last couple of days. My personal score expectation is 176+ considering my average and the fact i am peaking now. Less than 174 and I will be annoyed. Less than 171 and I will be in the December thread.

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:58 pm

*AHEM* Gotta brag real quick.

PT 56
LR: -0
RC: -1
LR: -0
LG: -0

Raw: 99

Scaled: MY FIRST EVER 180 :D

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:01 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:26 pm

Lowest of 20 PT's today :evil: :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Did PT 57 LG section today (mauve dinosaur).

-3 (-2 [which we're based on dumb mistakes] plus -1 that I couldn't get to on time).

The mauve dino game isn't hard...it's just time consuming as hell...probably a good 12 minutes.
The last game also (charitable foundation awards) was also time consuming..10+mins.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:45 pm

sinfiery wrote:174+ = oh dear god what have I done
172-174 = yeahhhhhhbuddy. will never think about the LSAT again.
170-172 = Saddened but contempt. Time to apply.
169 and below = oh dear god what have I done
Me.

jjrialva

Bronze

Post by jjrialva » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:18 pm

I Just finished my last prep test.

Scored 165

RC -9 (like always my worse area)
LR -5
LR -3 (I completely missed 2 questions thought I had finished HAHA no wonder I had 2 minutes left)
LG-5

Any final suggestions for RC? I just seem to forget important information after a couple of questions and I can't afford spending more time on them or I'll completely miss one passage.

naillsat

Bronze

Post by naillsat » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:46 pm

jjrialva wrote:I Just finished my last prep test.

Scored 165

LR -5
LR -3 (I completely missed 2 questions thought I had finished HAHA no wonder I had 2 minutes left)
LG-5

Any final suggestions for RC? I just seem to forget important information after a couple of questions and I can't afford spending more time on them or I'll completely miss one passage.
always keep this in mind: what is the author trying to tell me? why she bothers telling me this? how does she feel about it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Scored 165

LR -5
LG-5

I had the roughest time with RC for a long long time, and I was getting -6 at times while missing 3 or 4 on the rest of the test, which was insanely frustrating. A couple things made it click for me to where I'm generally at -2 or -3 now.

First, and I'm sure you've heard this before, but it cannot be emphasized enough: ALL of the answers are right there in the passage. Don't try to make logical leaps or extrapolations about what the author might have meant. I know time is a huge issue, as it always has been for me, but really making an effort to not move on from an answer choice until I found support in the passage for it has been quite beneficial for me.

Also so many times before I would just read the words to get through the passage without truly trying to understand each part of the passage. A basic thing I picked up from the Manhattan RC book was to just take a brief second after each paragraph to reflect, evaluate, determine the purpose, and make sure I understood it. I spend WAY more time reading now than I did before, but having a solid understanding of the passage and its organization makes answering the questions sooooo much easier.

I haven't really been in this thread, but I got a 168 in June and am hoping for 172+ on this one. Last 4 PTs (60-63) have been 174-177 so I'm feeling pretty confident. Taking 64 and 65 the next two mornings and hopefully after Saturday I'll be free from this horrid test forever.

GL everyone!

dynamic28

New

Post by dynamic28 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:04 pm

What's the typical point drop for practice tests vs. the real thing? If memory serves me right, a 2-4 test day point drop is typical, right?

Chambo

Bronze

Post by Chambo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:09 pm

dynamic28 wrote:What's the typical point drop for practice tests vs. the real thing? If memory serves me right, a 2-4 test day point drop is typical, right?
I'm not sure what is *typical* per se but it isn't surprising to see something like a 0-3 point drop. It probably depends on a lot on how close your PT conditions are to what you'll see on test day.

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Debate is happening at my school tonight. 6 hour party.

Excited, but also feel like I'm running out of time to prep.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jjrialva

Bronze

Post by jjrialva » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:46 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:

Scored 165

LR -5
LG-5

I had the roughest time with RC for a long long time, and I was getting -6 at times while missing 3 or 4 on the rest of the test, which was insanely frustrating. A couple things made it click for me to where I'm generally at -2 or -3 now.

First, and I'm sure you've heard this before, but it cannot be emphasized enough: ALL of the answers are right there in the passage. Don't try to make logical leaps or extrapolations about what the author might have meant. I know time is a huge issue, as it always has been for me, but really making an effort to not move on from an answer choice until I found support in the passage for it has been quite beneficial for me.

Also so many times before I would just read the words to get through the passage without truly trying to understand each part of the passage. A basic thing I picked up from the Manhattan RC book was to just take a brief second after each paragraph to reflect, evaluate, determine the purpose, and make sure I understood it. I spend WAY more time reading now than I did before, but having a solid understanding of the passage and its organization makes answering the questions sooooo much easier.

I haven't really been in this thread, but I got a 168 in June and am hoping for 172+ on this one. Last 4 PTs (60-63) have been 174-177 so I'm feeling pretty confident. Taking 64 and 65 the next two mornings and hopefully after Saturday I'll be free from this horrid test forever.

GL everyone!
Thanks... I'll try to do a brief evaluation of the paragraphs. I might not be able to finish all the questions but if It improves accuracy it might be worth it. how can you do a test every morning!? Today was my last before saturday... I find it a lot easier to concentrate if I leave 2 days in between.. I'll drill tomorrow and afterwards though..

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:51 pm

PT 66

LGX: -2
RC: -2 (Yay!)
LR: -5 !!
LG: -2
LR: -6 !!!

85/ 167

So I was looking for a big confidence boost ahead of Saturday but instead I got pounded into the pavement. I thought I bombed RC initially and it ended up being my strongest section. I missed about 5 questions in LR due to not reading closely. And missed more on LG than I have in the past 10 sections. I will chalk it up to an off day.

I guess now is time to focus on these last few days, rest up, and be ready for Saturday to meet my goal score of 170.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:29 pm

PT65 today
As close to test day conditions as I could manage. Never seen this test before. Did my best to ignore all interpretations of it posted on TLS too!

LR1: -0
LG: -1 (Gimmie question, I misread which is possible as which is not possible. First question I plugged in was possible, second was not possible so I thought that's that. First one plugged in was right. My self-check system was thwarted. :( )
RC: -4 (meh, will take it. I hate RC)
LR2: -0
Raw: 96
Scaled: 178

Finished LG at 34:50 and RC at 34:50 approx. LG I can easily push myself to go faster without sacrificing accuracy, that I know. RC on the other hand, one bad initial read of a passage and I see a disaster occurring. Time, time, time. My only focus before test day.

Reviewing 63-65 tonight. 66 Tomorrow.

Gisney wrote:I am usually really annoyed with the emails from law schools that fill up my inbox because they are rarely from anywhere I would consider going but
After my Oct LSAT last year, I had the same mindset. I also threw them all away.

But then I got a package from Yale asking me to apply because of my LSAT score (167). Kept it. Use it as motivation to this day. How dare they ask me to do something I shall surely fail at? Argh! Might re-read the letter Saturday morning for motivation!

Edit:

NoodleyOne wrote:
Gisney wrote:Pt 65 today!

LR2: -1
LG: -1 :evil: I hate missing even one on LG
RC: -3

Raw: 97
Scaled: 178 :D

Pleased to be back to where I want to be scoring right before the test.

All -3 in RC were from the comparative passage. I had marked all of them as uncertain but ran out of time to look back at them

Only pt 66 left for Thursday then on to the real deal Sat. So ready for this test!

FYI
This is my 180th post and last night I had multiple dreams about getting a 180 without any bad dreams about test day.

Taking this as a sign of success :)
Score twin. I just took it now and went -2 and -2 on LR with my -1 on RC (also third passage I think... that weird last question with the most analogous part). Feeling good for Saturday!
creepy.

-1 on first passage, -1 on comparative RC, -2 on last passage.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:46 pm

just logged in to say that the ninja question on PT 66 had me smiling all the way into the next question. Thank you, LSAC.

oh, the simple joys of LSAT-prepping.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pocahontas

New

Post by Pocahontas » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:58 pm

:shock: Nothing like a "good luck on the LSAT" email from Cooley Law to get you off your ass and in front of some drill materials. Can't let that shit happen, lol.

Side note: Screw these weather changes. I think I may overdose on vitamin c in an attempt to not catch the cold going around in my office. That would be my luck.

OnTheRise

New

Post by OnTheRise » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:11 pm

Just took PT65 today and I'm pretty happy with it

RC: -4
LR2: -3

for a scaled score of 176. If Saturday goes that well I will do backflips in the parking lot.

tekumamba

New

Post by tekumamba » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:41 pm

i got 175 and 171 on 64 and 65 respectively, and then took 66 again and got a 169. somebody shoot me in the face.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:46 pm

tekumamba wrote:i got 175 and 171 on 64 and 65 respectively, and then took 66 again and got a 169. somebody shoot me in the face.
what matters is not the score but HOW you got what you got. If you figure it out, there is no reason why you can't go up in score on test day.

simply put, delay the face shooting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tekumamba

New

Post by tekumamba » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:47 pm

FlowBro wrote:PT 66

85/ 167

So I was looking for a big confidence boost ahead of Saturday but instead I got pounded into the pavement. I thought I bombed RC initially and it ended up being my strongest section. I missed about 5 questions in LR due to not reading closely. And missed more on LG than I have in the past 10 sections. I will chalk it up to an off day.

I guess now is time to focus on these last few days, rest up, and be ready for Saturday to meet my goal score of 170.

dude thats exactly what happened to me.. ive been averaging 172+ over the last 6 tests, and then this one just failed in section 4. i thought the RC was hard again and it was my best section too!

tekumamba

New

Post by tekumamba » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:49 pm

99.9luft wrote:
tekumamba wrote:i got 175 and 171 on 64 and 65 respectively, and then took 66 again and got a 169. somebody shoot me in the face.
what matters is not the score but HOW you got what you got. If you figure it out, there is no reason why you can't go up in score on test day.

simply put, delay the face shooting.

i was cruisin with -5 until section 4 and then just TANKED it. all m yerrors but 1 were so uncharacteristic of me.. thanks for the support man! cheers and i hope we both beat our bloody averages on saturday :)

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:59 pm

tekumamba wrote:
FlowBro wrote:PT 66

85/ 167

dude thats exactly what happened to me.. ive been averaging 172+ over the last 6 tests, and then this one just failed in section 4. i thought the RC was hard again and it was my best section too!
We'll take care of business on Saturday. Fighting through, not letting up, it's bearing down that wins the cup.

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:21 pm

PT-Feb97
LR: -4
RC: -2
LR: -2
Scaled Score: 175

Just a bizarre test, that hardly resembles anything modern that might appear on Saturday.
To anyone on the fence, I wouldn't recommend wasting time on this, better to retake a modern test again.
But this is one of the only unseen PT's for me so I'll take it :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”