Tips for Grouping Games

Dookie39

Tips for Grouping Games

Postby Dookie39 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:01 pm

I have been prepping seriously for about a month now, and feel like I have a pretty good grip on the test as a whole except for grouping games. I have spent approximately the same amount of time on grouping as I have on both basic and advanced linear games, but I've seen much more improvement with the linear ones. For both linear types, I generally finish in between 7 and 9 minutes minutes with 100 percent accuracy, but with grouping games it usually takes me well over 10 minutes with one or two wrong answers no matter how many times I do them. Hell, I find the weird old mapping/circular/pattern games easier. I use the approach given in the PS LGB, but I'm wondering if their approach is inferior to others when it comes to grouping. It just seems like I have to get lucky with my hypotheticals in order to finish in time. If you guys have any specific tips for attacking grouping games, or know of a better system, please let me know.

-thanks

Oscar85

Re: Tips for Grouping Games

Postby Oscar85 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:07 pm

I read the PWS approach, and I think that they have a very good system for attacking the grouping game. I am no logic games expert, but from what I have seen, grouping games involve a lot of strong deductions and some hypotheticals. When I am working with grouping games, I just do what PWS does... Diagram the rules (such as A<--|-->B B<-->C therefore A<--|-->C, and slowly building hypotheticals as to what can and can't be in a group. But when dealing with games in general, I try to look at the rule that best "controls" the game, which means that they allow for the optimum set up. These are easy to find because they usually link up with another rule and limit the game. Also, doing things like the numerical distribution can really help when it comes to certain games... I might try Velocity soon, so I will let you know how they approach them.

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:45 pm

I initially used powerscore techniques, but I strayed away because it was inefficient for the way I think about games. I like to present all my hypotheticals in one area so I basically set up a large board where the first position in the board is dedicated to clearly showing all the rules. Then I draw a line underneath it, and use that space for my next hypothetical. This saves me from drawing the groups and lines multiple times. Because of this setup, I don't use a vertical component unless there is a grouping and linear aspect to the game. Another thing I like to do is write the conditions into the game board. This is usually unnecessary for binary games because they're so simple, but I found it quite useful for games with 3 or more groups. I took the example from page 207 in the bible as an example. This is obviously a very simple game, but I wanted to show you what I meant because I felt it would be difficult to explain. Pardon the poor handwriting...I'm using a laptop and paint wasn't friendly to me.

Edit: After the initial setup, I stop drawing the __ __ __ lines and just write the letters for the hypotheticals. Also, it was difficult to do here, but I write the D---->E enough above the 3 slots that I have enough room to assign variables to all the slots if necessary.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:27 pm

Oscar85 wrote:I try to look at the rule that best "controls" the game, which means that they allow for the optimum set up. These are easy to find because they usually link up with another rule and limit the game. Also, doing things like the numerical distribution can really help when it comes to certain games...

Great advice here.

Grouping games can feel a little weird because the rules generally leave a little bit more ambiguity as far as possibilities go. They also lend themselves very well to scenarios, as you can pick any variable and there are only a number of scenarios equal to the number of groups. If you have a variable that shows up in 2 or more rules, it's generally a good idea to make scenarios with that variable in each group (assuming that the variable can't be in more than one group).

Also, when you have a stable, 2-group grouping game (you know how many are in each group; including In and Out games), check to see what you can say about a slot that is the last, empty slot in a group. You can usually say, for sure, that one of your remaining variables CAN'T go in that slot, which means it MUST go in the other group.

Other than that, you'll have to trust your rules a little more in grouping games than linear games - if the rule doesn't forbid it, then it can work (unless you're missing a deduction). Just trust that fact, and you'll start to build confidence in your answers. Timing is as much about confidence as anything else.

ilovelawtays

Postby ilovelawtays » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:19 am

Taking the time to fully understand numerical distribution helped me a lot. Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”