What was up with the LG question that was thrown out?

anon sequitur

What was up with the LG question that was thrown out?

Postby anon sequitur » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:40 pm

I didn't take the test, but am very curious about what happened. Was there a lot of arguing in the post-mortem about this question beforehand? Can anyone remember what the problem was with the question? This has never happened with an LG question before, seems like a colossal screw up by LSAC.

shntn

Re: What was up with the LG question that was thrown out?

Postby shntn » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Has it really never happened with an LG question before? I thought I'd seen one stricken from scoring before, but it may have been LR.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:23 pm

shinton88 wrote:Has it really never happened with an LG question before? I thought I'd seen one stricken from scoring before, but it may have been LR.

Yeah, in the "modern" (post 1991) LSAT, it's only happened on RC once or twice, 5-6 times on LR, and never on LG. I'm very surprised, I'm wondering if a question was worded ambiguously or if they just decided that the question had no predictive validity.

lsatprepguy

Postby lsatprepguy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:47 pm

The question asked for a maximum number of people in group 2 if member Z was included (those variables are made up)

But the problem with the question was that it didn't tell you whether to include member Z in the count... in other words maximum including Z or maximum number in addition to Z

Postby 03152016 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:21 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Max324 wrote:
lsatprepguy wrote:The question asked for a maximum number of people in group 2 if member Z was included (those variables are made up)

But the problem with the question was that it didn't tell you whether to include member Z in the count... in other words maximum including Z or maximum number in addition to Z

Thought it was a poorly worded question; was really stressing about it during/post test. I ended up going with 'maximum number in addition to Tiao'.

Me too, but there was definitely a big TLS freakout on which one they meant, I think there was even a topic about it. It wasn't a logic mistake on LSAC's part, just ambiguous wording.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Do you all think it was truly ambiguous (in that there was more than one legitimate understanding of the question) or just easy to misinterpret? The language in LG is usually so precise, and this sounds like the sort of thing they frequently play around with on games.

Neander

Postby Neander » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:38 pm

I just can't believe LSAC wouldn't catch this before.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:41 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Do you all think it was truly ambiguous (in that there was more than one legitimate understanding of the question) or just easy to misinterpret? The language in LG is usually so precise, and this sounds like the sort of thing they frequently play around with on games.

Personally I thought it was unambiguous and didn't give it a second thought during the actual test, but a lot of people either couldn't decide which meaning they meant or thought it was unambiguously the other direction. I don't think this was necessarily that they looked at the question and decided "Wow, this seems unfairly unclear, I think this was a mistake on our part," but more of a situation where a roughly equal number of testers chose the answer choice that the different interpretations would respectively produce.

Weird they didn't catch this when it was an experimental.

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:37 pm

lsatprepguy wrote:The question asked for a maximum number of people in group 2 if member Z was included (those variables are made up)

Oh yeah I remember discussing that question and my subsequent ban. Something about the word "with", I think. I answered it in the way I think they were looking for it to be answered, but there was a lot of confusion about it on TLS afterward. There were two valid answers based on how you interpreted that one phrase, so they just chucked the whole thing.

Postby 03152016 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:07 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neander

Postby Neander » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:08 am

Are we allowed to talk about the LSAT questions now in detail or no?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”