Should I retake??

Snowscout

Should I retake??

Postby Snowscout » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 am

I just got my scores back from the June LSAT (172), and i am trying to decide whether to retake. Here is some background info:

This was my first time taking the test. I studied using some books and a lot of practice tests but not tutors or classes. I was PTing in the 171-179 range but with a fair amount of inconsistency. My avg. was around 174-175. I am hoping for a T10 school. My GPA is 3.66 from a top private liberal arts school.

Any thoughts??

thanks a lot!

lederhosen

Re: Should I retake??

Postby lederhosen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:46 am

Last edited by lederhosen on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:49 am

I am in the same position with the same score. There were some weaknesses in my game plan that I never fully addressed. I was still fairly uncomfortable with RC (felt lucky if I got -1/-2) and was pretty slow on parallel and conditional logic LR questions. I'm going to work them a bit, and if I feel significantly more confident in these areas, I'll retake. If not, then I'll let the score stand and hope for the best.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:55 am

I'm in a similar boat and retaking. 170 with a 4.15 from a large public school... with a serious reputation for grade inflation. :(
I looked at it this way: most people seem to agree that few, if any, schools average. If you get back to the grind and score higher, AWESOME, you seal your chances and maybe get $. If you score lower, you still have a great score to count on.

At the end of the day, will you be happy with yourself if you don't retake? When you submit your applications, will you feel like you did everything you could to earn your spot? Are you okay with leaving your fate up to the admissions committees with what you have now?
For me, the answer was no, so I'm retaking. If it's yes for you, I'm jealous; enjoy your freedom.
Congrats on a great score, and may whatever decision you make be the best one for you!

Snowscout

Postby Snowscout » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:59 am

In response to your question about whether that is my finalized GPA, i am not sure. What exactly does the LSAC do to calculate your GPA? That is the GPA my school give me, which does not include some coursework that I took abroad (in south america). If it's an average of those too, it should remain about the same.

And i know I CAN do better. Im just not quite sure how to stop getting the occasional 172 alongside a bunch of 177s. I tend to leave the test feeling about the same regardless of which score i get!

Snowscout

Postby Snowscout » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:21 pm

bdeebs wrote:I am in the same position with the same score. There were some weaknesses in my game plan that I never fully addressed. I was still fairly uncomfortable with RC (felt lucky if I got -1/-2) and was pretty slow on parallel and conditional logic LR questions. I'm going to work them a bit, and if I feel significantly more confident in these areas, I'll retake. If not, then I'll let the score stand and hope for the best.

Your problem areas are exactly the same as mine. What was your test breakdown?
Mine was: LR1: -2, RC -3, LR2: -1, LG: -2 (usually games are stronger for me, dunno what happened!)

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Snowscout wrote:In response to your question about whether that is my finalized GPA, i am not sure. What exactly does the LSAC do to calculate your GPA? That is the GPA my school give me, which does not include some coursework that I took abroad (in south america). If it's an average of those too, it should remain about the same.

And i know I CAN do better. Im just not quite sure how to stop getting the occasional 172 alongside a bunch of 177s. I tend to leave the test feeling about the same regardless of which score i get!

lawschoolpredictor.com has an okay GPA calculator. Go to LSAC's website to see if your study abroad courses count, but if they awarded credit and grades for them at your home institutions, chances are they count. Also, LSAC counts all classes taken, even if you used grade forgiveness, and also counts some high school classes if you received college credit. Your GPA could be considerably different than what you think.

Snowscout

Postby Snowscout » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:26 pm

I plugged everything into the predictor and my GPA is the same...

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Snowscout wrote:
bdeebs wrote:I am in the same position with the same score. There were some weaknesses in my game plan that I never fully addressed. I was still fairly uncomfortable with RC (felt lucky if I got -1/-2) and was pretty slow on parallel and conditional logic LR questions. I'm going to work them a bit, and if I feel significantly more confident in these areas, I'll retake. If not, then I'll let the score stand and hope for the best.

Your problem areas are exactly the same as mine. What was your test breakdown?
Mine was: LR1: -2, RC -3, LR2: -1, LG: -2 (usually games are stronger for me, dunno what happened!)

Mine was: RC: -4, LR1: -1, LG: -2, LR2: -1 (usually games are stronger for me, I was a dumbass!)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”