156 retake, suggestions?

naillsat

156 retake, suggestions?

Postby naillsat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:44 pm

I work full time and had spent lots of time studying for the June test, but just got a 156. My cold diagnostic was 159 in last December, so my study basically did not work that well. In my PT's, I broke into 170's once and the average was about 164.

I want to retake in October and will apply this cycle. I am shooting for a scholarship in a top 20 school or T14 (ideally). I wonder if I should keep self-study or sign up for a prep course like velocityLSAT. I consider prepcourse an investment for a better score and a better scholarship in a nice school, but I still want to hear your opinion how helpful velocitylsat or other prep course is. I don't want to waste money if that's not too helpful.

Nova

Re: 156 retake, suggestions?

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:11 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ?f=6&t=396 I would just self study with bibes/manhattan and drill/pt . I hear velocity is legit though.

sabanist

Re: 156 retake, suggestions?

Postby sabanist » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:43 am

naillsat wrote:I work full time and had spent lots of time studying for the June test, but just got a 156. My cold diagnostic was 159 in last December, so my study basically did not work that well. In my PT's, I broke into 170's once and the average was about 164.

I want to retake in October and will apply this cycle. I am shooting for a scholarship in a top 20 school or T14 (ideally). I wonder if I should keep self-study or sign up for a prep course like velocityLSAT. I consider prepcourse an investment for a better score and a better scholarship in a nice school, but I still want to hear your opinion how helpful velocitylsat or other prep course is. I don't want to waste money if that's not too helpful.

Whether you continue self study or do a course depends on your strengths and weaknesses. Do you know what went wrong with your self study last time? Not enough focus, lack of motivation, complacency? What did you use to study? Not all study books are created equal. How many PTs did you take, and did you review them? (This was where I lost the plot, and I'm tripling my PTs this time.) Are your problems across the board or just in one particular section? These are the things you need to figure out in order to make the best decision for you.
If you know what went wrong and are willing to throw yourself at fixing it, self study will save you money and be better tailored to your individual needs. However, if you did everything you could by yourself and still weren't satisfied, a course may be best.
I didn't do Velocity, but I have heard wonderful things about it. It's not nearly as expensive as many other courses, and they have section-specific courses for even cheaper than the comprehensive one if you only have one problem area.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”