Velocity for LG?

thenumberfour

Velocity for LG?

Postby thenumberfour » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi everyone,

Like many of you, I just got my score back and I'm not pleased with it. I got a 164, no doubt partly in thanks to terrible LG performance (the last two games got me). I was -8 in that section, and I had really thought that I'd started to get a handle on the games, but it's historically my weakest section. One of my biggest problems is speed, I think.

I'm down to my last retake for a while, and was considering purchasing the Velocity Logic Games course. Worth it? Should I just throw down money for the whole thing? My LR was spotty as well, which was unusual so I'm thinking I can figure out why I missed the ones I did and drill the hell out of those question types (normally I'm -2 or -3 in LR).

Any advice is appreciated! I have also gone through the LG bible multiple times, and while I do believe it has helped, I feel like perhaps a different method may work better for me.

BalanceCare

Re: Velocity for LG?

Postby BalanceCare » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:35 pm

answer is yes. i was in the exact same situation as you. just got a 177 back after multiple administrations stymied by LG. pm for details if you would like. good luck!!!

thenumberfour

Postby thenumberfour » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:43 pm

BalanceCare wrote:answer is yes. i was in the exact same situation as you. just got a 177 back after multiple administrations stymied by LG. pm for details if you would like. good luck!!!

Thank you. Congrats on your 177!

josemnz83

Postby josemnz83 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:55 pm

I purchased Velocity about a week ago. I bought the comprehensive course, which of course includes the games. So far I have enjoyed his course, but I'm not sure that it would help you if you already scored a 164. How many questions, on average, do you miss on the games section?

thenumberfour

Postby thenumberfour » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Towards the end of my PTing I was missing maybe 4 questions on average in games, but it really depended on the luck of the draw with the game types. Game #3 on the June LSAT completely stumped me. I feel like it really sucked a lot of my time and then caused me to lose accuracy in the last game because I was rushing to finish before time.

josemnz83

Postby josemnz83 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:25 pm

I feel that so far I have benefited most from the LR section of the Velocity course. Please remember that my diagnostic was a 153 so of course I'm going to see improvement. If you have the $650, then I think you should go for it. The only thing I would say is for you to make up your mind quickly. He provides you with a syllabus detailing what pages/problems to review/work out each day. The sooner you start the less catch up you will need to do later.

drh_104

Postby drh_104 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:49 am

Dave's Velocity course was great, and I think games is his best section. I had a -14 in LG my first time (albeit no prep) and Dave got me down to a -1 on my retake. If LG is your weakness then Dave's method works!

rocktower3

Postby rocktower3 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:07 am

Do it. I would honestly spring for the whole thing. I had a lot of trouble with games and Velocity got me into top shape. I went from -8 in October 2010 (167) to -1 this June (176). Best six hundred bucks I've ever spent. Feel free to PM me if you want!

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:57 am

I was at a consistent -3ish. I went through the Velocity program, as well as looking at the 7sage content and was consistently PTing with -0 games afterwards. That being said, I got a -2 on the June exam, but I finished the games with ~5 minutes remaining and spent all of my extra time debating about the question that got thrown out rather than reviewing like I normally do. I got question 1 wrong which is just ridiculous.

Side note, don't take a 5 hour energy during break. It will fuck with your energy juuuuust a bit too much. I've taken them pretty regularly with no detrimental effect, but something about the adrenaline rush mixed with the 5 hour energy was too much for me.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:01 pm

thenumberfour wrote:
BalanceCare wrote:answer is yes. i was in the exact same situation as you. just got a 177 back after multiple administrations stymied by LG. pm for details if you would like. good luck!!!

Thank you. Congrats on your 177!

Do some Sudoku...the inferences and deductions made are very similar to the LSAT. I really question the cost/benefit of a prep class if you are already at 164. You likely aren't inclined spatially, you need to train your mind to operate that way.

josemnz83

Postby josemnz83 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:08 pm

I bought the velocity course and am working on it- right now actually. For those of you who completed the program, did you go back and redo the games over and over?

thenumberfour

Postby thenumberfour » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm probably going to spring for the LG course and just brush up on the specific LR types that tripped me up, since it's normally a strong section for me. And you're right, I'm not naturally a spatial thinker. All the other stuff follows pretty logically (no pun intended) but LG was like learning another language at first. I may also pick up some Sodoku to practice in my spare time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”