TM Prep Class for December '11 and Taking in Feb '12?

drumstickies

TM Prep Class for December '11 and Taking in Feb '12?

Postby drumstickies » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Hey peeps!

I'm a couple of years out of college, and I recently accepted a two-year research fellowship. I'm planning to go to law school right after the fellowship ends. The earliest I can take the LSAT comfortably is February, and I want to leave room to take it twice and still be able to apply early into the 2013-14 cycle. The TestMasters class for the Feb LSAT, however, is pretty ridiculous-- it's only one month long and meets five times a week. I think I'm going to need longer than a month to study. I was wondering, for those of you guys who've already taken a TM class, how much material is left to study with after the class ends. (There's a solid two months I'll have between the last class and the Feb LSAT.) Or would it better just to get into LSAT mode for the duration of the TM class, push through some personal-commitment difficulties, and take the December LSAT? For what it's worth, I took the June '07 test as a timed diagnostic and scored a 162, with -2 and -4 on the LR sections and -8 on the LG section.

Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it!

anon sequitur

Re: TM Prep Class for December '11 and Taking in Feb '12?

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:44 pm

I used to teach for TM, the February can be overwhelming, it's a good schedule only if you have very little to keep you busy other than the LSAT class. If you take the December class, do 60-70% of the homework but none of the supplemental stuff, you'd have quite a bit of prep material left over for the two months before the February test. A lot of students end up doing what you're considering.

Also, a lot LR and LG can be done multiple times with great benefit, so it's not a big deal if you repeat some material.

drumstickies

Postby drumstickies » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Appreciate the quick reply!

Do you think it's possible, instead, just to do all the work and study some other sort of supplemental material during the two months in between the end of the December class and the February LSAT? What else would there be to study, since TM uses all real tests? I'm trying to score above a 175, and I'm ready to put in the necessary work.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:56 pm

drumstickies wrote:Appreciate the quick reply!

Do you think it's possible, instead, just to do all the work and study some other sort of supplemental material during the two months in between the end of the December class and the February LSAT? What else would there be to study, since TM uses all real tests? I'm trying to score above a 175, and I'm ready to put in the necessary work.

Yeah, that's a possibility. You could do Manhattan or PS books on your own after the class, you'd have seen all the questions before but that's not really a big deal. I'd strongly recommend holding back on the extra diagnostics until the month or so before your real test though. You really, really don't need to do all 6,500 LSAT questions in 2 months, which you'll be able to do if you want with TM. Consider your class hard-core fundamentals and practice, the next month or so with books more refinement and practice, then the last 2-3 weeks you can focus on doing full tests along with any fine-tuning of whatever your weaknesses are.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”