Defer and Retake Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
chicagohopeful

New

Defer and Retake

Post by chicagohopeful » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:07 pm

I've deferred at a school. Can I retake the LSAT in my year off (and potentially reapply in two years)? Do schools find out if you retake without sending out this information? What happens if you respectfully decline to matriculate at the school you defer from and then choose to reapply a couple years down the line? I'm not trying to game the system, but I do see a kind of ambiguity in my situation.

Thanks!

bp shinners

Gold

Re: Defer and Retake

Post by bp shinners » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:33 pm

chicagohopeful wrote:I've deferred at a school. Can I retake the LSAT in my year off (and potentially reapply in two years)? Do schools find out if you retake without sending out this information? What happens if you respectfully decline to matriculate at the school you defer from and then choose to reapply a couple years down the line? I'm not trying to game the system, but I do see a kind of ambiguity in my situation.

Thanks!
When you deferred, you signed a contract with that school. Find out what the contract says.

They will hear if you register to take the LSAT again.

If you defer, withdraw, and reapply a few years later, you better write an essay to that school explaining why you decided to do that. It won't be an auto-ding, but they will expect to hear a good explanation.

In any case, your best bet is to call that school up and ask them these questions. They understand that people's situations change, and they'd rather give you their perspective than find out when they get a report from LSAC.

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:17 pm

bp shinners wrote:When you deferred, you signed a contract with that school. Find out what the contract says.
I deferred at a school this year, and I signed no contract. It is my understanding that a deferral guarantees admittance the following year, but not necessarily that you accept that admittance.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:40 am

buddytyler wrote:
bp shinners wrote:When you deferred, you signed a contract with that school. Find out what the contract says.
I deferred at a school this year, and I signed no contract. It is my understanding that a deferral guarantees admittance the following year, but not necessarily that you accept that admittance.
Again, depends on the school. Make sure you understand what the agreement is.

Some will be official documents. Some will be informal agreements. Whatever the case, the OP needs to know exactly what he agreed to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”