OCTOBER 2012: Daily Study Report!

Adam Banks

Re: OCTOBER 2012: Daily Study Report!

Postby Adam Banks » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:34 am

scham wrote:Pretty much slacked over the weekend (well I've actually been really busy with other stuff, but no excuses). Today I read and worked through drills in RCB 4: Diagramming The Passages and LRB 4: Must Be True Questions. I also read about half of RCB 5: The Questions And Answer Choices, I'll try to get through it tonight before I go to bed.

IMO RCB is a waste of time. Just do passages to improve RC. I learned the hard way that RCB was a waste of time.

scham

Postby scham » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:01 am

Abisping wrote:
IMO RCB is a waste of time. Just do passages to improve RC. I learned the hard way that RCB was a waste of time.

Well it's my lowest section so I thought I would go ahead and read through it, maybe get some diagramming and marking ideas. But I have noticed that it is a lot of repetition from the LRB when it comes to the question types and such. I just want to get through it since I bought it. I plan on switching gears and focusing on practice tests/sections here in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the suggestion anyhow.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:47 am

I did the LG section from PT 11 last night. Went pretty well. I think I missed 1-2 overall, although a few of the games took a little longer than 8:45. I also finished up my first pass through of the LGB Flash Cards (I actually liked doing these and think they helped somewhat with a few concepts).

I'm interested in the debate about if the RCB is even worth it. I too bought one but haven't had time to read it yet. For me, I might not get to it since RC is my best section, but if I have time I will try. I'd rather go through the LRB and also the Manhattan LG and LR books first. It takes me a while to get through each book since I highlight and mark up whatever I'm reading even outside of the drills. Do you guys do this? How long does it take you to get through a chapter in each book? Is it necessary to highlight and take notes?

scham

Postby scham » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Today I finished RCB 5. The Questions And Answer Choices and also LRB 5. Main Point Questions. I also went down to wally world and got myself a $10 analog watch so I can get used to using it with my practice tests/sections. I hope to get another chapter in each book done by tonight, I need to catch up a little bit. Maybe I'll try to get in a LR practice section and try out my watch.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:00 am

Last night I had barely any time to study at all, since I celebrated my mom's birthday with the family until 11pm. When I started studying then, I went over the rest of the questions I missed in PrepTest C outside of the Logic Games (sometime I need to re-do all of the Logic Games in these Superprep PTs, since I rushed through all of them to fit it in the time limit), and did two Logic Games from some of the older tests.

Actually, I have a question here. There is a logic game I was doing last night (Questions 1-7 of Section II on some test) that reads like this:

"Seven consecutive time slots for a broadcast, numbered in chronological order 1 through 7, will be filled by six song tapes--G, H, L, O, P, S--and exactly one news tape. Each tape is to be assigned to a different time slot, and no tape is longer than any other tape. The broadcast is subject to the following restrictions:"

Do you guys know which PT this is from? I couldn't fit it in my PT book to check the answers.

scham

Postby scham » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:49 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:Last night I had barely any time to study at all, since I celebrated my mom's birthday with the family until 11pm. When I started studying then, I went over the rest of the questions I missed in PrepTest C outside of the Logic Games (sometime I need to re-do all of the Logic Games in these Superprep PTs, since I rushed through all of them to fit it in the time limit), and did two Logic Games from some of the older tests.

Actually, I have a question here. There is a logic game I was doing last night (Questions 1-7 of Section II on some test) that reads like this:

"Seven consecutive time slots for a broadcast, numbered in chronological order 1 through 7, will be filled by six song tapes--G, H, L, O, P, S--and exactly one news tape. Each tape is to be assigned to a different time slot, and no tape is longer than any other tape. The broadcast is subject to the following restrictions:"

Do you guys know which PT this is from? I couldn't fit it in my PT book to check the answers.

That's PT7, section 2, first game.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:32 pm

scham wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:Last night I had barely any time to study at all, since I celebrated my mom's birthday with the family until 11pm. When I started studying then, I went over the rest of the questions I missed in PrepTest C outside of the Logic Games (sometime I need to re-do all of the Logic Games in these Superprep PTs, since I rushed through all of them to fit it in the time limit), and did two Logic Games from some of the older tests.

That's PT7, section 2, first game.

Thanks, mate! Woo-hoo, 7/7 right on it! I did that one really fast too. I guess it was probably a pretty easy game, but still, when you're missing 10 or 12 in the LG section, you take what victories you can get. I should be taking 1-2 PTs coming up this weekend. My goal is a 167-168 on them.

scham

Postby scham » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:18 am

50 Days Left!

So in the last two days I have read and drilled:
RCB 6. Putting It All Together, 7. Comparative Reading Passages and 8. Common Passage Structures
as well as:
LRB 6. Conditional Reasoning and 7. Weaken Questions

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:26 am

Last night I finished up the logic games I had yet to do in what scham says is PT7. I got all of the questions right in that PT's LG section, although on a few of them I went over the 8:45 time limit. So I still have to work on timing.

Also read Chapter 2 (Logical Reasoning Basics, or something similar) of the LRB, which I just started over last night. My goal is to read that, and then move onto the Manhattan books (and maybe briefly look at the RCB). Does everyone really view the RCB as pointless? Scham, you're going through it now. I'm curious what your thoughts are on it. Should I read the Manhattan RC book or the RCB?

Tomorrow I'm headed to the King's Dominion theme park to ride the 300+-foot-tall roller coaster Intimidator 305, but I still plan to fit in 1-2 PTs this weekend (hopefully 2). My goal is to get a 167-168. Probably will do somewhere around PT50. My goal is to do from about there until the most recent PTs, and also I plan to drill the LGs from PTs 29-38 and use LSAT Blog's explanations if I need help with them.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:43 am

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I didn't study as much as I wanted over the weekend last weekend (meaning none--went to King's Dominion theme park to ride all their roller coasters--which has kinda turned into an obsession for me in the last few weeks), so I haven't had too much to report.

Anyways, I started reading the Manhattan Logic Games book, which I'm tremendously happy I got. Already it's teaching me a much better way to diagram and attack the Relative Ordering games than the LGB had. That was always one of my weak points (along with Grouping, which hopefully the Manhattan book will help me with), mostly because the LGB didn't have a very satisfying way to diagram these complex games. But I love the Tree way from the Manhattan book. I'm wondering if I should read their RC and LR books too, since I have those. But at the moment I'm reading the LRB, which is quite lengthy and will take some time. Currently I'm on the Must Be True chapter. Who knows if I'll ever get to any RC books, but at least it's definitely my strongest section (I usually miss 3 or less on it).

ivonmx

Postby ivonmx » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:03 am

I am in.

I reviewed all the LR questions I missed in PT 31-40 yesterday and only found myself suck at it. Pretty frustrated because I am constantly getting -7 in each of the LR section, I need to improve myself to -3 to save more points for RC section. Only 43 days left but I still ordered Cambridge LR by Question Types yesterday and going to go hardcore in the next 2 weeks. I must have missed something very fundamental!

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:15 pm

ivonmx wrote:I am in.

I reviewed all the LR questions I missed in PT 31-40 yesterday and only found myself suck at it. Pretty frustrated because I am constantly getting -7 in each of the LR section, I need to improve myself to -3 to save more points for RC section. Only 43 days left but I still ordered Cambridge LR by Question Types yesterday and going to go hardcore in the next 2 weeks. I must have missed something very fundamental!

How are you doing in the LG sections? That is by far my weakest section. I typically miss 10-12 during the timed LG sections (just can't do them fast), but only miss 4-1 in the RC and LR questions. Oh well, I guess I'm a typical English major.

BallHog

Postby BallHog » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:03 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:

How are you doing in the LG sections? That is by far my weakest section. I typically miss 10-12 during the timed LG sections (just can't do them fast), but only miss 4-1 in the RC and LR questions. Oh well, I guess I'm a typical English major.

I'm typically -0 on LG, -5 on LR (per section), anywhere from -5 to -8 on RC. Talk about polar opposites. :lol:

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:39 pm

PT 47, RC: -2

Very happy to see these numbers finally coming down to earth after ballooning. And...I had 4 minutes extra to spare. Felt that instead of reviewing I should just end it to account for any test day craziness.

Lets keep grinding! 42 days, 16 hours, 20 minutes, and 30 seconds til the test starts!

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:21 pm

I work in a law office as a paralegal full time and study at night, so by the time I get home, my brain is fried. I try to fit studying in whenever I can, but honestly, some nights I don't even want to look at the books. Anyway, took a few days off last month due to needing to work over the weekend, and am back on my hardcore-this-is-the-last-time-I-can-take-this-test-before-I-go-crazy study plan (basically Pithypike's method, but a lot of sections, untimed tests, timed passages and a mix of drills).

I got back in the library today, got in 3.5 hours of quality study time (had some real breakthroughs - InOut games which I hated just clicked and made complete sense after all the drilling I've been doing, have really reduced mistakes made with assumption questions, amongst others...).

Took two timed practice tests last week:

PT 55: 86 CR/166

PT 60: 88 CR/170

Also cracked 180 two weeks ago but I put absolutely no stock whatsoever in that test since it's one of the ones I swear I've taken three times and really focused on justifying each and every answer with at least one sentence of description. You know it's time to drop a PT from rotation when you get to a few of the harder questions and remember the mental contortions you went through to understand it.

It's crunch time so am holding strong for 41 more days and experimenting with caffeine intake!

ivonmx

Postby ivonmx » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:33 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:

LG is the easiest section for me. I won't miss more than 2 questions under timed LG sections (PT 40 and later). Manhattan LSAT has some very solid strategies to build up the foundation of LG games, not sure if you have that book. I think you are lucky that LR and RC aren't the toughest sections for you (while they are for me), LG section is pretty easy to pick up if you can work them out by different question types.

English is not my first language and RC is indeed boiling me...

ivonmx

Postby ivonmx » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:39 pm

BallHog wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:

I'm typically -0 on LG, -5 on LR (per section), anywhere from -5 to -8 on RC. Talk about polar opposites. :lol:

Same here, except I am around -7 on LR section. What's ur average PT score? Have you ever scored up to 170 in any PTs?

BallHog

Postby BallHog » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:22 pm

ivonmx wrote:
BallHog wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:

Same here, except I am around -7 on LR section. What's ur average PT score? Have you ever scored up to 170 in any PTs?

Not on a PT, but if you put together my section highs, I have broken 170. But that doesn't count..

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Took PT 60 today, lower score than my last PT...

LR1: -4
LR2: -5
LG: -1
RC: -4

Scaled: 168

Went from missing 1 question on LR to 9!

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:32 pm

RCinDNA wrote:I work in a law office as a paralegal full time and study at night, so by the time I get home, my brain is fried. I try to fit studying in whenever I can, but honestly, some nights I don't even want to look at the books. Anyway, took a few days off last month due to needing to work over the weekend, and am back on my hardcore-this-is-the-last-time-I-can-take-this-test-before-I-go-crazy study plan (basically Pithypike's method, but a lot of sections, untimed tests, timed passages and a mix of drills).

I got back in the library today, got in 3.5 hours of quality study time (had some real breakthroughs - InOut games which I hated just clicked and made complete sense after all the drilling I've been doing, have really reduced mistakes made with assumption questions, amongst others...).

Took two timed practice tests last week:

PT 55: 86 CR/166

PT 60: 88 CR/170

Also cracked 180 two weeks ago but I put absolutely no stock whatsoever in that test since it's one of the ones I swear I've taken three times and really focused on justifying each and every answer with at least one sentence of description. You know it's time to drop a PT from rotation when you get to a few of the harder questions and remember the mental contortions you went through to understand it.

It's crunch time so am holding strong for 41 more days and experimenting with caffeine intake!

This sounds like me. I work as a paralegal (project assistant actually, which is like a junior paralegal at a big firm), and I work a lot of hours some days, so sometimes I don't even feel like studying.

Sorry I haven't posted in here in a while, but I will try to get back into it daily. There were a few days in there where I didn't study, which I wasn't very happy about. Also trying to get back into running, so I've been visiting the LetsRun.com forums at work instead of this one. But I still study as much as humanly possible when I can. I'm scared about the exam, to be honest. Wondering if I'll have to take the December one....

Someone asked if I had the Manhattan books. I actually do, and I'm going through the Manhattan LG book right now at the same time I'm going through the LRB. The Manhattan book is helping me a lot where the LGB fails in terms of diagramming (binary grouping and relative ordering/relative linear games come to mind here). I haven't taken a full-length PT in a while, since I want to learn how to do the games the Manhattan way before I PT again. I was missing half of the LG questions and getting 165s (two in a row), so I figure if I can nail down logic games with the help of the Manhattan book, I should be back to around 170 by the time I get back to PTing. Need to finish the Manhattan book by the end of this week so I can start PTing again.

Trying to think what I should read--the RCB or the Manhattan RC book. I probably only have time to read one. What would you guys recommend?

Also, someone a while ago asked me to review A Rulebook for Arguments, which I've been reading. It's not a bad book (it's very short and easy to read), but I don't see how it'll help me on the LSAT at all. Don't recommend. It's mostly about essay-writing, really.

Last night I worked on the Binary Grouping chapter in the Manhattan LG book. Honestly, I love the way they diagram these compared to the LGB. Grouping games are most of the reason I was missing half of the questions in the LG sections, so this is probably what I need the most work on. I hope Manhattan has an equally good way to do the other kinds of grouping games. I can do linear pretty well, but "3-D Linear" or "Advanced Linear" (as the Manhattan and LGB, respectively, call them) can throw me off, time-wise. I wish there was more damn straight Linear Games. According to Manhattan, they are the most frequent type, but I swear, when I have taken PTs so far (have taken 4 full-length ones, including my diagnostic), they seem very infrequent.

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:04 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:I wish there was more damn straight Linear Games. According to Manhattan, they are the most frequent type, but I swear, when I have taken PTs so far (have taken 4 full-length ones, including my diagnostic), they seem very infrequent.

I think they don't include them as often since they are the easiest to master, IMHO. Most prep courses start out teaching these and I do think the test makers are aware of which games people are able to 'break' the easiest.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:25 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:I wish there was more damn straight Linear Games. According to Manhattan, they are the most frequent type, but I swear, when I have taken PTs so far (have taken 4 full-length ones, including my diagnostic), they seem very infrequent.

I think they don't include them as often since they are the easiest to master, IMHO. Most prep courses start out teaching these and I do think the test makers are aware of which games people are able to 'break' the easiest.

Damn these mysterious "test makers"!

Again, haven't posted in here. Again, have been working a ton of hours (12+ hours every day and working on the weekends). This is really killing my study schedule, and I'm beginning to think I'm gonna have to take the December LSAT for sure. We'll see how I do in October, but I haven't been able to study nearly as much as I imagine a lot of the people on these boards have. To be honest, I'm a bit bitter towards this imagined TLS user in my head who comes from rich parents and doesn't have to work and can study all day long for the LSAT. Unrealistic, I know, but somehow that's just how I feel right now.

A month ago I was PTing 165, and I feel that I've improved since then, but I haven't taken a full-length PT since then. I haven't done it, because I want to go through the Manhattan LG book first, since I was missing so many on random LGs that I felt it wasn't worth it to PT when I could just be focusing on the LG section instead (I was only missing -4 through -1 on the LR and RC sections consistently). I need to PT a ton before October, but I'm worried this won't be enough time to really get a great score in October.

In the event that I do take it in December, I still hope to apply this fall/winter to law school to get in next year. I've heard people say this, but apparently I can hand in my applications before I take the December LSATs and say on them to wait for my December LSAT score to review my application. Can you guys confirm that this would be a solid idea if I wanted to apply this cycle? I'm very envious (and again, I won't lie, bitter) for those who already have their LSAT scores.

My way of thinking is that it'd be better to apply a little bit later with a good (read: 172 or higher) LSAT score than to apply in October with a 168-170 score (I do think I can get this on test day). My goal schools are CCN (I have a 3.73 GPA). I'm just curious to hear some input from other TLSers. Do you guys think I should still apply as early as possible, but put on my applications to wait to review them until I have my December LSAT score in? I will apply immediately after I get my October scores, and--if they're good enough--I will just use them. If they're not, I will keep studying through December to take it again. I keep mentioning December simply because my work is not about to get any less stressful until at least November. I work at a BigLaw firm as a paralegal, and things in my case have picked up greatly in the last month, to the point where 12-hour days are the norm, not the exception.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling here, I just had to let this out somewhere, and I figure on the LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum is where the nicest, most understanding people on TLS are. Some of the people in Choosing Law Schools or What Are My Chances? are absolute jerks. I'm just scared that taking the October LSAT only will get me into Cornell, maybe, when I really want Columbia. I know this sounds like pure, spoiled entitled bullshit, but that's just how I feel, I guess. I owe this test my all, and I owe my future getting into the very best school possible (which still, in my mind, with my GPA, means Harvard for me, but at the very least CCN [read: Columbia :P ]).

mowmissy

Postby mowmissy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 pm

First 165 today, feels good! Plus most of my errors came from LG, which I usually don't make (normal 0 to -3). I'm starting to feel that I can score higher than I ever thought I could. (Took LSAT in June '12 154)

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:00 pm

mowmissy wrote:First 165 today, feels good! Plus most of my errors came from LG, which I usually don't make (normal 0 to -3). I'm starting to feel that I can score higher than I ever thought I could. (Took LSAT in June '12 154)

Nice job. That's also the best PT I've ever gotten. If it makes you feel any better, I got another 165 very soon after getting my first. You should shoot for a 170 on test day! Perhaps you can get into a T14 school?

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:28 pm

Hello, all. So I've decided to withdraw from the October test and write it in December for my first LSAT. I know a lot on here will say it's inadvisable to take it so late in the application cycle, but I simply wasn't posting the scores I wanted when I took a practice test this past weekend. I got a 164, which isn't anywhere close to my 170+ goal. I have not had enough time to study as of late, because my work schedule has blown up like crazy. I have been staying to 9-10 on most work nights, and that just isn't good for the kind of studying I want to do. On top of that, work is simply very stressful (for those who don't know, I work as a paralegal at a BigLaw firm). Things are supposed to die down here somewhat on my case after October, so hopefully I will be ready come December.

I've been studying for a while now (since the spring, on and off), but I haven't done any serious cramming, and I've only taken 5 PTs so far. I was waiting to PT more until after I finished the Manhattan LG book, which I finally finished about a week ago. I hadn't taken a PT in over a month, and wanted to gauge if I sat for the October LSAT based on that PT. I had a particularly bad day when I took it, but still, a 164 is nowhere near what I want to get. I got two 165's in a row over a month ago, so I wasn't even testing what I used to be.

Hopefully this is the right decision for me. I don't really want to wait till the next application cycle, since I don't want to stay at this job for two more years, but if that's what it takes to get into the schools I want to get into (Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, or NYU), then so be it.

Is it possible to apply before one's LSAT grades are in, and then tell the admissions office to wait to read it until my LSAT scores come in? That way I could apply "early" (November or October), while still taking the LSAT in December. The way I look at it, this doesn't really hurt, since it's not like I could wait and apply again this cycle even if I retook the LSAT after bad December scores. I'd have to apply next cycle anyways, no matter what my LSAT score is.

Just food for thought. Hope you all are doing well with your LSATs and good luck in less than a week! I really wanted to be at a higher score by now, but I guess I just didn't have the discipline to study harder when I've been pushed so hard at work. I know some can do it, but it's been tough for me. The last thing I want to do after a 12+-hour work day is sit down and take a full-length PT.

If worst comes to worst, I will simply wait another year and try again next cycle.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”