OCTOBER 2012: Daily Study Report!

echamberlin8

Re: OCTOBER 2012: Daily Study Report!

Postby echamberlin8 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:29 am

Yesterday I did a few games from the LSAT Blog, as well as the Mapping game in the LGB (perfect score), and started going through the Numerical Distributions part of the LGB towards the end. Not the most interesting thing in the world, but I mostly just can't wait to start taking PTs after I'm done with the LGB. I might do one PT this weekend. This will be my first one since my 155 diagnostic. My goal is a 165. We'll see what I can do.

I'm going to be doing the SuperPrep tests first.

Bankrupt257

Postby Bankrupt257 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Id like to join up.

Doing mapping games, minimized variables and maximized variables.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:52 pm

Bankrupt257 wrote:Id like to join up.

Hey, Bankrupt. What are minimized and maximized variables? Haven't come across these terms so far.

Last night I kept working on the Numerical Distribution section at the end of the LGB. I only have two more games in the book left. Also started reading A Rulebook for Arguments, which was recommended on the LSAT Blog. Supposedly it helps with the Logical Reasoning sections. Time will tell if it actually does.

Does anyone else have any experience with reading A Rulebook for Arguments?

Tonight I'm hoping to finish up the LGB, or get as close as possible, and read a chapter or two in the Rulebook.

meandme

Postby meandme » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:18 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:

Hey, Bankrupt. What are minimized and maximized variables? Haven't come across these terms so far.

Last night I kept working on the Numerical Distribution section at the end of the LGB. I only have two more games in the book left. Also started reading A Rulebook for Arguments, which was recommended on the LSAT Blog. Supposedly it helps with the Logical Reasoning sections. Time will tell if it actually does.

Tonight I'm hoping to finish up the LGB, or get as close as possible, and read a chapter or two in the Rulebook.

I started read the A Rulebook for Arguments but it wasn't much help. So I stopped after chapter 4. If you finish let me know how you like.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:59 pm

meandme wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:

I started read the A Rulebook for Arguments but it wasn't much help. So I stopped after chapter 4. If you finish let me know how you like.

Alright, I'll report back my findings in here every day, so check back in if you want results.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Finished up the Logic Games Bible last night. Perfect scores on the final two games in it! I also read a chapter from the Rulebook for Arguments, and did a game of Sudoku. Not sure what to do tonight. Might do a timed section of games or something. This weekend I'm probably going to do PT A from the LSAT SuperPrep book.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Speaking of sudoku, I've been playing them lately too (when bored). I play the hardest difficulty my ipad app has, and I get to a point where I literally can not made any definitive deductions and have to use hypotheticals to figure the rest of it out. Is it possible to solve any sudoku without using hypos? Hypotheticals on sudoku are such a pain because I have to keep solving until I run into a problem, and sometimes I don't run into the problem until the end. I feel like all I'm improving on at sudoku is spotting the "can not be here" and its utility in terms of LSAT is all gone.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:30 am

Took my first PT since my initial diagnostic over the weekend (PrepTest A, which is the 2/1996 LSAT). I was a bit disappointed with my score (160). I wanted a 165, but I got absolutely stumped by the logic games section. There was only one game on there out of the three that I could easily move through. All 3 of the others seemed to be tricky variations of the grouping style. I just couldn't finish the section in time, so I had to guess for at least a quarter to a third of the questions. Overall, I did great in the other two types of sections, considering I haven't studied logic reasoning or reading comprehension at all over the last few months when I went through the Logic Games Bible. But I missed even more questions on the logic games section than when I took my diagnostic. So that was a bit frustrating.

What I've taken away from the PT is that I need to drill logic games in a timed format a lot more. I honestly haven't been timing myself so far on the LGs, as I was just learning the basics by going through the LGB, but now I'm going to start timing myself on first, individual questions, and then, on full LG sections. I'm probably going to start with the early preptests from the first book from the LSAC with full-length tests. Maybe I'll do the 19-28 tests some, too, since LSAT Blog has explanations for their logic games.

Bankrupt257

Postby Bankrupt257 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:31 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:

Mapping - A square park in the middle of the city has trashcans situated along its perimeter according to the following diagram...North, south, east, west. Then its maps out which a full which isn't/

Minimized- Scheduling things, 7 days, 3 possible spots, 8 members + constraints

Maximized - Linear games with must, could and cannot.

The logic book that they recommend, I think its the Basics of Logic or something like that..I read that book few years back and it still stuck with me. I would HIGHLY recommend that. I am going to get the arguments book from school library in a few weeks.

Bankrupt257

Postby Bankrupt257 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:33 pm

60 days to go till LSAT!

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Ugh, I'm very nervous about these sixty days. I still feel like that might not be enough time for me to jump up another 10 (or 12, ideally) points. I really want a 172, but at the moment I'm sitting at a 160. I should be taking two more PTs this week (Tests B and C from SuperPrep), so I'll keep you guys posted on how well I do on those.

Unfortunately I have nothing new to report on the daily side of things, since I didn't study at all last night. I was feeling really tired and unable to concentrate, so I took the night off. Tonight I'm going to be working on trying to get my logic games up to speed, first by trying to do individual games in around the ten minute mark (I haven't timed my games at all outside of PTs, so I haven't brought it down to 8:45 yet), and then eventually trying to get whole LG sections up to speed.

scham

Postby scham » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:08 am

Summary up until now: Studied the Superprep book and took two practice tests in July and got 160 on both (don't remember which ones they were). Read through LRB and worked through LGB and got a 171 on PT24 last week (yay).

Now I'm reading 1 chapter in LRB and 1 chapter in RCB each day (will replace RCB with LGB when done) and plan on taking 1 practice section on w-th-f's (one of each type) and then on full PT each Saturday until the fall semester starts (8/27). I'll regroup and figure out a new study schedule once school starts. I guess I'll post here to have some encouragement/accountability/suggestions. I made a spreadsheet to track my progress too. I started this yesterday so I need to finish LRB chapter 2 tonight to be caught up. Just have 20 pages to go. (Edit: Finished it)

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:05 pm

scham wrote:Summary up until now: Studied the Superprep book and took two practice tests in July and got 160 on both (don't remember which ones they were). Read through LRB and worked through LGB and got a 171 on PT24 last week (yay).

Now I'm reading 1 chapter in LRB and 1 chapter in RCB each day (will replace RCB with LGB when done) and plan on taking 1 practice section on w-th-f's (one of each type) and then on full PT each Saturday until the fall semester starts (8/27). I'll regroup and figure out a new study schedule once school starts. I guess I'll post here to have some encouragement/accountability/suggestions. I made a spreadsheet to track my progress too. I started this yesterday so I need to finish LRB chapter 2 tonight to be caught up. Just have 20 pages to go. (Edit: Finished it)

Nice improvement. I took PrepTest A from Superprep a few days ago and got a 160. Ugh, I really want to get into the 170s. I hadn't been drilling enough for time with the logic games before taking it, so that's what I'm working on now (did the Games sections from PTs 7 and 9 last night for time...did okay on some, but took longer on others).

That's impressive you can read a chapter a day from each. It took me a long time to do the chapters, at least in the LGB. How much do you study a day? Are you working right now?

My goal is to start taking ~2 PTs a week until the October LSAT. I'm taking Preptests B and C before the end of the week. My goal is a 163 on one of them.

scham

Postby scham » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:12 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:
Nice improvement. I took PrepTest A from Superprep a few days ago and got a 160. Ugh, I really want to get into the 170s. I hadn't been drilling enough for time with the logic games before taking it, so that's what I'm working on now (did the Games sections from PTs 7 and 9 last night for time...did okay on some, but took longer on others).

That's impressive you can read a chapter a day from each. It took me a long time to do the chapters, at least in the LGB. How much do you study a day? Are you working right now?

My goal is to start taking ~2 PTs a week until the October LSAT. I'm taking Preptests B and C before the end of the week. My goal is a 163 on one of them.

Yeah, Logic Games was my main weakness. I didn't get through them on my first 2 tests and scored like 50% on those sections. So that is what I have focused on. I was still running short on time on that last test in LG, but I did get through them. I'm hoping that I can maintain my 171 or maybe improve it a little bit, but I'll have to see if that was a fluke score. I didn't expect to jump that much, and was a little surprised when I graded the test.

Right now I have an internship on Mondays and Tuesdays for 5 hours each day. I'm reading two chapters a day because I don't plan on doing a lot of LSAT reading when school starts, because I'll be taking 18 units. So I'm going to get all of the Bibles read before school starts. Then during the semester I'll take more practice tests and try to identify problem areas/question types. I don't really keep track of how long I study each day, but I would say at least 2 hours or so. Sometimes a lot more.

scham

Postby scham » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:51 am

8/8/12 (59 Days to go): Read and did Drills in RCB 3. Passage Elements And Formations, and LRB 3. The Question Stem and Answer Choices. Took a timed section: PT18.1 (LG) and scored a -2. Still some time before bed, maybe I'll try to get a jump on tomorrow's reading.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:30 am

Bleh, yesterday was a bad day. Didn't study at all besides reading a chapter from Rulebook for Arguments while at work. I went to the doctor after work and got home at around 9 o'clock, and was just too tired, so I didn't have the motivation to study. I don't know what's wrong with me, but it seems like I'm tired and exhausted EVERY SINGLE DAY for no reason. Possibly has something to do with medication, I'm not sure.

Anyways, my goal today is to take PT B (from the SuperPrep book). I want to get above a 160 that I got on PT A. A 163-165 would be really nice, but we'll see. Logic Games is clearly still my weakness. I wanted to drill some games last night, but didn't end up doing it. I cannot do Grouping Games very fast. I should practice those more.

scham

Postby scham » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:01 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:Bleh, yesterday was a bad day. Didn't study at all besides reading a chapter from Rulebook for Arguments while at work. I went to the doctor after work and got home at around 9 o'clock, and was just too tired, so I didn't have the motivation to study. I don't know what's wrong with me, but it seems like I'm tired and exhausted EVERY SINGLE DAY for no reason. Possibly has something to do with medication, I'm not sure.

Anyways, my goal today is to take PT B (from the SuperPrep book). I want to get above a 160 that I got on PT A. A 163-165 would be really nice, but we'll see. Logic Games is clearly still my weakness. I wanted to drill some games last night, but didn't end up doing it. I cannot do Grouping Games very fast. I should practice those more.

What I did to get the hang of Logic Games is I got a big whiteboard and markers and I would work them out while standing. I also tried to get someone to work with me, if for no other reason than to help me talk through the problem without having to mumble to myself. I know it isn't good "test condition" practice, but I think it helped me get the hang of them and made them more fun or at least less boring and easier to work through. I also like how on the whiteboard you can easily erase things and fix any errors you make in the setup. It's just an easier way to wrap your head around the problem. Once you get the hang of the different problem types, you should be able to do it on a test sheet without much trouble adapting.

meandme

Postby meandme » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:17 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:Bleh, yesterday was a bad day. Didn't study at all besides reading a chapter from Rulebook for Arguments while at work. I went to the doctor after work and got home at around 9 o'clock, and was just too tired, so I didn't have the motivation to study. I don't know what's wrong with me, but it seems like I'm tired and exhausted EVERY SINGLE DAY for no reason. Possibly has something to do with medication, I'm not sure.

So how is Rulebook for Arguments? Anything good?

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 am

meandme wrote:

So how is Rulebook for Arguments? Anything good?

Honestly, so far (I'm about a third way through it) it's not really worth reading. It isn't very relevant to LR or anything.

Woo-hoo, I got a 165 on PrepTest B last night! This is only the second PT I've taken since finishing the LGB.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:44 am

scham wrote:

What I did to get the hang of Logic Games is I got a big whiteboard and markers and I would work them out while standing. I also tried to get someone to work with me, if for no other reason than to help me talk through the problem without having to mumble to myself. I know it isn't good "test condition" practice, but I think it helped me get the hang of them and made them more fun or at least less boring and easier to work through. I also like how on the whiteboard you can easily erase things and fix any errors you make in the setup. It's just an easier way to wrap your head around the problem. Once you get the hang of the different problem types, you should be able to do it on a test sheet without much trouble adapting.

Hmm...that actually sounds like a good idea and one that I hadn't thought of. I'll try this out. Thanks!

Bankrupt257

Postby Bankrupt257 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Bout to do Manhattan LR book till i fall asleep. Chapter 4 -Identify a Flaw Questions.

alexK_

Postby alexK_ » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:48 pm

October will be my first time taking the LSAT, and hopefully I'll do well enough that it will be my last.

Manhattan LG>LGB. Actually, I should say Manhattan LG-LGB.

BallHog

Postby BallHog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:52 pm

alexK_ wrote:October will be my first time taking the LSAT, and hopefully I'll do well enough that it will be my last.

Manhattan LG>LGB. Actually, I should say Manhattan LG-LGB.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:22 pm

I got my Manhattan guides in the mail over the weekend, so I will start using those. At the moment, I've read the LGB from cover to cover, Superprep (including the three prep tests, as well as the explanations for the questions I missed, other than the logic games, which I just need to re-do sometime, since I didn't finish half of them), and some of the beginnings of the RCB and the LRB. Should I just move onto the Manhattan Logic Games book? I probably should, since the logic games are still by far my worst section.

I took PrepTest C over the weekend and got another 165 on it (that's what I got on PrepTest B). I still missed 10 out of 24 questions in the LG section, since I didn't even get close to finishing it in time. I did solid on the rest, although I missed more in RC than I did on my previous test (I missed 3 instead of 2), and I missed 4 in each LR section (I'd like to get that down lower to a -2 or -1 consistently).

So for studying next, I'm definitely going to be drilling a lot of logic games. Other than that, I might start reading the LRB and work in the Manhattan Logic Games book. Any other suggestions? Obviously I'm going to try to PT a lot. I might do 2-3 PTs a week from now on.

scham

Postby scham » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:13 am

Pretty much slacked over the weekend (well I've actually been really busy with other stuff, but no excuses). Today I read and worked through drills in RCB 4: Diagramming The Passages and LRB 4: Must Be True Questions. I also read about half of RCB 5: The Questions And Answer Choices, I'll try to get through it tonight before I go to bed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”