OCTOBER 2012: Daily Study Report! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
aena

New

OCTOBER 2012: Daily Study Report!

Post by aena » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:29 am

This is a thread for those who plan to take the LSAT during October 2012. Some of us have expressed difficulty with staying motivated, and I thought this MIGHT help.

The members who decide to join this group will/SHOULD post their daily LSAT activities on this thread at the end of EVERYDAY. Write everything you did to prepare for the LSAT's during the day. We can give each other suggestions/tips for studying, shower with encouragement, SUFFER TOGETHER, and keep track of our progress. I mean, ultimtely, this will somehow lead us to feel publicly ashamed of our procrastination and thus become more motivated.

For example, today.... 06/27/2012
North : "Today, I finished up my second pass through every LG from PT's 1-40. Now, I'm going to start redoing them for a third time, except by full section and in 35:00."

BrianGriffintheDog :
1. Read LRB chapter on Point at issue and did drills (-0)
2. 2 advanced linear games (-1) and 3 basic linear games repeat (-1)
3. Main point q's (-0)

Aena:
"I re-did every drill in the powerscore LG bible under timed conditions and re-did them again following the written explanation. For LG section, I have always done everything my own way with my own diagrams(for exwmple, the categorization of basic linear/grouping/pattern seems very useless to me. Local? Global? What?) so i was trying to see if synchronizing with powerscore LG approach would improve my performance."

What do you thinkkkkkk? :D

Systematic1

Bronze

Re: OCTOBER 2012: Daily Study Report!

Post by Systematic1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:39 am

I'm down.

06/26/2012
Read chapter 13 in the LR Bible on Flaw in the Reasoning questions. Went back and outlined the major points of the chapter into a concise Microsoft word file, as I have done for every chapter.

06/27/2012
Reread chapter 13 in the LR Bible on Flaw in the Reasoning. Completed the problem set at the end of the chapter. Initially gave myself 1:30 to complete each problem. As I'm still getting used to answering questions under time constraints this lead to a little bit of guessing and 4/8 correct. Without actually looking at the correct answers I gave myself an additional 1:30 on each question that I felt uncomfortable with and got 8/8. Can already see I need to work hard on staying calm under pressure, because when I saw time getting low I got nervous and found it hard to focus.

07/04/2012
After a week off today was my first full day back on the grind. Knocked out Parallel Reasoning, Numbers and Percentages, and Evaluate the Argument chapters in LR Bible. Outlined each chapter in to a MS Word doc. Going to try and finish LRB tomorrow.
Last edited by Systematic1 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:54 am

I'm using LSAT Blog's 4 Month Plan
6/26/12
Off. And it was fabulous.

6/27/12
I had to rearrange my days this week, so technically off again. I think I'll use the extra time to review Grouping In/Out games and make some test copies. I will also read TLSand be amused at the level of crazy on here. No offense, guys.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:08 am

ilovelawtays wrote: I will also read TLSand be amused at the level of crazy on here. No offense, guys.
Oh, none taken. Everyone's batshit crazy here.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:38 am

shinton88 wrote:
ilovelawtays wrote: I will also read TLSand be amused at the level of crazy on here. No offense, guys.
It's funny, because this daily update thread is the hallmark of neurotic, which means that if I retake I will be posting in here

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bchirco

New

Post by bchirco » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:42 am

Not a bad idea, I'll come back tonight.

JDanger007

New

Post by JDanger007 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:57 am

hey guys two things:
1. just starting with LG, my hardest going section by section- using a tutor twice a week is really making a difference.
2. somewhat off topic but i feel approperiate- how often do u do full lsats? should i wait til i have a basis of all the material or when ifeel ready, and what is an average amount of exams done for practice.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:59 am

jp238607 wrote:hey guys two things:
1. just starting with LG, my hardest going section by section- using a tutor twice a week is really making a difference.
2. somewhat off topic but i feel approperiate- how often do u do full lsats? should i wait til i have a basis of all the material or when ifeel ready, and what is an average amount of exams done for practice.
From someone who prepped Feb-June for the June 2012 test, I completed all prep tests 20-65. Most people you ask around here are big advocates for this type of studying once you learn your basics.

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:42 am

I have a pretty rigurous study schedule (for what time left in the day there is after work/class). At minimum I try to take at least 1 section (LR, RC alternating days) a day along with 6 LGs (Pithy's model, 3 new 3 old all one type). I'm happy with the progress so far for the amount of time I've been studying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Honey_Badger

Bronze

Post by Honey_Badger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:59 pm

shinton88 wrote:
True, true....

hereyago

Bronze

Post by hereyago » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Does reading the economist count?

MauveT-Rex

New

Post by MauveT-Rex » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:42 pm

[quote="ilovelawtays"]I'm using LSAT Blog's 4 Month Plan
6/26/12

6/27/12
I had to rearrange my days this week, so technically off again. I think I'll use the extra time to review Grouping In/Out games and make some test copies. I will also read TLSand be amused at the level of crazy on here. No offense, guys.[/quote]

Curious about these plans. Are these plans centered around certain study aids? If not, how well do they adapt in regards to what study materials you are using?

jonjon1324

New

Post by jonjon1324 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:19 pm

6/26/2012

Did a timed RC section. Got -1, my best score so far (before the best was -4)!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:33 pm

MauveT-Rex wrote:[quote="ilovelawtays"]I'm using LSAT Blog's 4 Month Plan
6/26/12

6/27/12
I had to rearrange my days this week, so technically off again. I think I'll use the extra time to review Grouping In/Out games and make some test copies. I will also read TLSand be amused at the level of crazy on here. No offense, guys.

Curious about these plans. Are these plans centered around certain study aids? If not, how well do they adapt in regards to what study materials you are using?[/quote]

I'm only a couple weeks in, so there are probably people more qualified to answer, but I'll give it a shot.

You'll definitely need all those 10 Real, Next 10, and Even The Next 10 After That type books. The homework is centered on questions from those tests. I also elected to purchase the Logic Game Bible, and will purchase the Logical Reasoning Bible and SuperPrep soon (there are readings and games in those books, too). If you already have a good understanding of logic principles, you may not need the LGB or LGB, but I had to take logic twice in college, so I bought them both.

I have not started studying for the RC section, but I'm pretty good at words and stuff, so I am not very worried. Seems like everyone around here likes to suggest The Economist and Scientific American, so maybe you should check those out. I'd even venture to suggest some really long, hoity-toity Vanity Fair articles. Anything that is long, verbose, and outside of your comfort zone will help you develop better reading skills. I also think that studying for two months straight prior to even thinking about RC is helpful for developing concentration skills.

Lastly, LSAT Blog has free general month(s) long guides for use. I ponied up $20.00 for a daily study plan, because I tend to get overwhelmed with stuff like this. If you are the type of person to not push yourself, or the type of person to push too hard too early and then burn out, the daily study plan is nice. I also like it because I can check off every thing I've completed. It's like the adult version of earning a gold star.

BrianGriffintheDog

Bronze

Post by BrianGriffintheDog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:37 pm

6/27/2012

1. Reviewed RC bible and Manhattan's RC guide
2. Did 4 RC (not under timed conditions but kept the stopwatch running to see how long it took): Humanities (-0), Law (-0), Natural Science (-2) and social science (-2)
3. Logic games repeat--basic linear (-0)
4. Logic games--advanced linear (-0, -?)--got stuck on the second game and really don't know how to solve it. F this I'm goanna go watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. God I'm so depressed...

jjrialva

Bronze

Post by jjrialva » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:07 pm

I would join but probably on August since I almost ran out of material and have only like 2 recent prep test left.. good luck to everyone.

e_mac7

New

Post by e_mac7 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:10 pm

I'm down for this. :)

6/27/12
Went through the PS LRB up until page 50 and done some of the drills. As of now, currently identifying conclusions and premises correctly but having trouble identifying the argument as weak or strong. The bible is definitely helping, it did a good job of explaining that.

6/28/12
Start my TM course online today. Taking my first diagnostic and will repost later how first lesson goes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BrianGriffintheDog

Bronze

Post by BrianGriffintheDog » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:42 pm

6/28/2012

After yesterday's burnout, I decided to take a break today. I made pasta with shit load of beef marinated with soy sauce and sweetner. Since I pigged myself out today, I will be going to the gym for a mad cardio for 2 hours.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Sweet, joining now. Ok: did six LG today, not as quick as I would have liked, a few wrong. Full RC timed, a little over, 3 wrong. Still need to do LR before I go to work. Working on Flaw right now in Mastery Practice. Took a day off and have some catching up to do. Doing SuperPrep A tomorrow (yikes). Started with LSATBlog studyguide, switched over to PithyPike's.

This is a great way to stay accountable and motivated. I'll probably be more detailed of what I did to study for the day, but I have to get going and finish LR. Hope to talk to you all soon :D

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:14 pm

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:6/28/2012

After yesterday's burnout, I decided to take a break today. I made pasta with shit load of beef marinated with soy sauce and sweetner. Since I pigged myself out today, I will be going to the gym for a mad cardio for 2 hours.
Sounds like your feelings tasted delicious. I support this.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:09 pm

6/27/2012

Yesterday, I plowed through about 20 Advanced Linear games. Finished (finally) my second re-do of the games from 7-40. Did a brief analysis on excel, and wasn't too happy with my improvement. The average game takes me 9:26, which is better than where I was before -- 10:10 -- but still not under 8:45. Sad day. Worked from 8-12, the. Got Chik-fil-A with the GF, that was nice. It also stopped raining for the first time in three days, yay hurricane season.

6/28/2012

Started on full, timed LG sections from PTs 7-40. There all re-dos and the familiarity makes me feel like I'm cheating (though I seldom actually remember an answer without re-working) and I don't like it. I finished all of them with five minutes to spare, though, and that was nice. I'm terrified to see if that speed will transfer to fresh games. I hope so, or I just wasted a month. Worked from 8-1, dinner with the GF a couple hours ago. Made a Blink 182 Pandora station and transported myself back to middle school...

Much love to my fellow October peeps.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Captain's Log: 6/28/12

5:00 A.M. - It is time to wake up, but I do not.

6:00 A.M. - The alarm goes off. I thought I set it for 5:00. I was wrong.

6:30 A.M. - 7:45 A.M. - After hitting snooze several times, I finally ingest caffeine and begin my studies. Week 2, Day 5 appears to be a breeze. I think of sailing. Things move along smoothly until I am tasked with PT 24, Game #4. I decide it's time to take a shower.

8:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M. - The office. Phone calls, drafting, e-mails, some filing, and a smattering of gossip. I talk a client down from the ledge. Today is a win.

6:30 P.M. - 7:00 P.M. - I consider resuming PT Game 24, Game #4. I decide it's time to take a walk.

7:15 P.M. - 8:00 P.M. - I review court reports. Still considering resuming that game. "Game", what an inappropriate word. "Game", like the abusive lover who strikes out and sings a siren song of peace. "Game"...

8:30 P.M. - With the promise of macaroni 'n cheese for dinner, I am motivated to finish PT 24, Game #4. Doctors, clinics, Ns and Os. I go 4/6. I do not understand how the last three rules can coexist (especially those involving N and O), but I will not discover that tonight because

9:00 P.M. - It's macaroni time.

9:20 P.M. - And then peanut butter smoothie time.

9:25 P.M. - And now TLS time.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:30 pm

Couldn't you have just posted all of this in the October Study Thread? Our waiting thread will be torture.

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Been following a pretty regular schedule of 6 LGs/ 1 RC or LR section a day (all timed). Got my best RC section so far today and yesterday my best/fastest LG set so far. Improvement is a good motivator, keep at it.

aena

New

Post by aena » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Today I did nothing except watching suits.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”