Your best section?

JohnV

Your best section?

Postby JohnV » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:17 am

Mine is LR, by far. I've just started studying in the last few weeks and originally I was finishing the LR section at around 41 minutes and getting -6 on average. Within a few weeks I've managed to consistently score -2 to -3 finishing at 30 minutes. I'm hoping I can lower this further to -0 to -1 in the next few months, I think a few weeks of studying with that kind of progress is a good sign.

However, my LG and RC are still kind of a mess. LG is highly variable to if I 'get it' or not so sections can be great or terrible and finishing on time is always an issue (even though it's probably the one I've practiced the most and have been trying to keep up with the LGB). I've recently started to us Pithy's guide to practice LG and I'm hoping in the next few weeks to see improvements like I did with LR. RC is still terrible for me as well, last one I took I got -8 and went 5 minutes over. I've heard a lot that it just requires a lot of practice (and admittedly it's the one I've studied the least for) but it still worries me.

So, any advice on LG/RC, personal stories concerning improvements on certain sections, etc?

shntn

Re: Your best section?

Postby shntn » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:37 am

JohnV wrote:Mine is LR, by far. I've just started studying in the last few weeks and originally I was finishing the LR section at around 41 minutes and getting -6 on average. Within a few weeks I've managed to consistently score -2 to -3 finishing at 30 minutes. I'm hoping I can lower this further to -0 to -1 in the next few months, I think a few weeks of studying with that kind of progress is a good sign.

However, my LG and RC are still kind of a mess. LG is highly variable to if I 'get it' or not so sections can be great or terrible and finishing on time is always an issue (even though it's probably the one I've practiced the most and have been trying to keep up with the LGB). I've recently started to us Pithy's guide to practice LG and I'm hoping in the next few weeks to see improvements like I did with LR. RC is still terrible for me as well, last one I took I got -8 and went 5 minutes over. I've heard a lot that it just requires a lot of practice (and admittedly it's the one I've studied the least for) but it still worries me.

So, any advice on LG/RC, personal stories concerning improvements on certain sections, etc?

LG was my worst. Now it is my best. I drilled and drilled and drilled all the game types until nothing really ever surprised me. Also, coming up with a killer shorthand/diagramming technique is key. I did self-study so I made my own up and it worked splendidly for me. May seem like reinventing the wheel, but I find that I remember things better and understand them on a deeper level if I figure them out for myself as opposed to being told by someone else how they work.

As for RC, I found I could go faster if I highlighted less. The number of times I actually had to go back and reference the things I'd highlighted were so few that the extra time was rarely justified. I didn't even use a highlighter on the real test, and I had two RC back-to-back.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:50 am

LR by a wide margin. If I miss one every other full test it's a lot.

olilawford

Postby olilawford » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:14 pm

I certainly wish my LR was that consistent! So far my best section is RC. Got my first perfect section last on my last test. Seeing a lot of people struggle with RC I'll throw out a couple of things which have helped me so far:

- I always underline/circle something in the passage; usually key names, lists, conclusions etc. If I don't underline I find it really hard to refer back to the passage for the questions, not necessarily because all my underlines were exactly what I needed to answer the question, but simply because they break the passage up visually. They also serve as an "anchor" to determine whether a piece of information came before or after.

- Whenever there is quote in the passage I always ask my self, "What was the point in using that?"

- As I am reading I am always trying to keep a mental picture of the passage's progression. For example: Introduction, claim, counterclaim, conclusion. Or, Introduction. Evidence 1, Evidence 2, Path for further research. Stuff like that. You could even write this in the margins as you read. This saves a lot of time with the "progression" questions, which can be tricky sometimes.

- I always read the first few lines slowly carefully. I make sure I know exactly what is going on from the very beginning. If I start reading well, I continue reading well. If I don't know what the first five lines is about and continue on regardless, I usually miss the point of the whole passage.

- When ever I see a "What is the purpose of this paragraph" question, I always make sure to read the end of the preceding paragraph. I usually find this gives me a better clue than just jumping straight into the beginning of the paragraph

desiballa21

Postby desiballa21 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:LR by a wide margin. If I miss one every other full test it's a lot.

TEACH US PLEASE.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:22 pm

LR is about practice and understanding the patterns and the subtleties that the lsac employs. Ive done about every LR question out there, after a while you go into auto pilot on those things. Preparing for June I went on a streak of 3 full tests with -0LRs, that's six sections lol. I was SO pissed when I blew it! For what it's worth, I already know one LR question I missed on June, although I feel good about the rest of them.

hereyago

Postby hereyago » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:39 pm

RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section. RC will become my best section.

Noblesse_Oblige

Postby Noblesse_Oblige » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:58 pm

LR by far. I was scoring -0 to -2 with 10 mins to spare. games were easy too, except on test day lol. RC has always been an issue because the two answer choices always seemed too similar.

Colonel Angus

Postby Colonel Angus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:04 pm

LG by far, got to where I always finished with extra time and only missed if I misread. Held up on game day.

LR got down to a consistent -0-2

RC was all over the place from -0 to -8

PurpleMustang

Postby PurpleMustang » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:41 pm

LG > LR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...>>>>>>>>>>>>RC

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:09 pm

LR >>>>>>>>>>>> LG > RC

Had 3 LR's and 5+ mins leftover on each to double check answers.

lawquestions1

Postby lawquestions1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 pm

LG>>>RC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LR. Which is funny because I was horrible at LG. Now I anxiously wait to see who leaves the first message, wears the red hat, whether or not new soul CD is on sale, etc etc.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lederhosen

Postby lederhosen » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:38 am

Last edited by lederhosen on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aequitas_

Postby Aequitas_ » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:32 am

Cold I was at -14 LG. Now I'm at -3 to -6. Barely started pithy's guide and been drilling games like crazy. Haven't gone through all game types yet, so it's really contingent on whether or not I've been exposed to how to tackle the games. ( Barely half-way through LG Bible ) Figure I can get it down to sub -3 by end of studying. Huge progress tho, pretty stoked on that. +9 on lg cold is really discouraging lol.

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:36 am

Probably my mid-section. I got an AbRoller and a Basedow video a few months back. My calves are a close second and yes, they are real.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Games, LR, RC.

RC is only last by a little, though.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”