June 24th 2012 Abroad LSAT (undisclosed)

togepi

June 24th 2012 Abroad LSAT (undisclosed)

Postby togepi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:51 am

I just got back from taking it in South Korea, and I'm pretty bummed. I had LR LG RC LR RC. I thought that every part of the test was pretty easy except for the logic games. When I opened it up, I couldn't even do the first, second, or third game. After doing the fourth game, I spent the remaining 10 minutes doing the ones that I could and ended up guessing on 5 on top of that. I usually get 20/23 on LG but I could have gotten anywhere between -13 to -8 or so. Those games reminded me of the ancient logic games and for some reason I just froze up on them. Did anyone experience anything similar?

I'm going to register for the October exam this week :(

agni

Re: June 24th 2012 Abroad LSAT (undisclosed)

Postby agni » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:01 am

Got back myself, although I had to have a drink with my friend before coming home.

I had LG RC LR RC LR so one of the RC's were experimental.

Unfortunately, the double pages really threw me off and ended up spending far more time than I should have on one of the questions where I misread one of the conditional statements... I have guessed on 7 of them, and probably have some oddball wrong answers here and there so.

Yes the logic games were, if i didn't misread the premise, really on the easy side :( I think this was the test to score all out on the LG, and I usually have trouble with them... so I'm seriously pondering cancelling.

omegaomega

Postby omegaomega » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:22 am

got LR LG RC LR RC

I feel really weird about this test. The two LRs are super easy, to a point that I suspect that I rushed too much. done under 30min for both of them.

RC (assuming the latter one is the real thing) is also on the easy side.
The experimental RC is way too easy. All of the four passages are about the difficulty level of the first passage in a usual PT.

Game, game, game. It broker my heart. Spent more than average time on the first two games, so I was under enormous pressure for the last two, and finally left three questions empty. In retrospect, the games are not difficult at all, but they require a LOT of hypotheticals.

I wish I had encountered a difficult LG section, so that the curve would be lenient accordingly. However it seems not to be the case. Well it could have been worse, but I'm really depressed now.

How do you guys think the curve would be? I think it's not impossible to have a -8.

ESCpurple

Postby ESCpurple » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:32 am

I just got back from my LSAT in melbourne, I have to agree with what everyone else is posting about the LSAT. Definitely some weird games.

Anyway, my order was LG-RC-LR-RC-LR

I felt the first of the RC's was far more difficult than the second...

se15

Postby se15 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:38 am

I had LG-RC-LR-RC-LR. How do we know which one was the experimental out of the RC???

ESCpurple

Postby ESCpurple » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:36 am

se15 wrote:I had LG-RC-LR-RC-LR. How do we know which one was the experimental out of the RC???

High-five for same sections? :?

Prior to October 2011, the experimental was always in the first three sections before the break, this is no longer the case. Following the October test the experimental was found to be the fourth section. So you can no longer rely on what time you did a section as an indicator if it was the experimental.

Far as I know, the only other way of finding out whether or not a section was experimental is to ask other LSATers (which is in violation of the contract you 'voluntarily' entered with LSAC). However, if you look around on the net, alot of American and Canadian LSATers are vigorously trying to find out which of their sections was experimental. I've looked at some discussions and am uncertain if the information is relevant to anything we (or at least I) just sat.

nkime

Postby nkime » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:50 am

ESCpurple wrote:
se15 wrote:I had LG-RC-LR-RC-LR. How do we know which one was the experimental out of the RC???

Same here. LG-RC-LR-RC-LR.
I was completely panicked for 5 minutes when I saw the double-page setups.
The game was a disaster. And the first RC was really difficult to me. (hopefully that one was experimental..)

It seems people around me including this post all had RC as experimental section.
It's weird. hmm.

omegaomega

Postby omegaomega » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:13 am

Did you have "High Theory"/Acoustic separation in your first RC and hieroglyph/African language in the second RC?

I really feel the first RC is a lot easier than the second. Now I'm so panicked that I might be missing something when I do the first RC...

nkime wrote:
ESCpurple wrote:

Same here. LG-RC-LR-RC-LR.
I was completely panicked for 5 minutes when I saw the double-page setups.
The game was a disaster. And the first RC was really difficult to me. (hopefully that one was experimental..)

It seems people around me including this post all had RC as experimental section.
It's weird. hmm.

Woods

Postby Woods » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:47 am

Did anyone had a LR with quite a few Ds in a row?
Kinda freaked out when I dicovered this at the last minute

omegaomega

Postby omegaomega » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:46 pm

seems this is quite a normal test. Not many people have the urge to say something here?

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:07 am

I agree with most of the stuff here. I finished both LRs with 5 minutes to spare ( I usually finish right on time). I feel that I really dominated both of those sections and the RC were super easy. I thought the first RC I had was a lot easier but that might be due to not being burnt out, but generally speaking both were really easy compared to recent PTs.

I just really don't understand how I did so bad on the games. After 15 minutes I had only answered 3 questions and then I spent another 10 on the last game, which is the only one I understood. The remainder time was spent half assing game two and three and just flat out guessing on game one. I did the go big or go home strategy and picked random ones instead of the same letter for all of them.

I was thinking about cancelling but I'm hoping that I rocked the LR and RC to compensate for a -10 or so on the LG :(. Hard to pick up that slack though.

In my opinion the RC had all first passage type passages and the LG had three of the most difficult games I have ever seen. I thought Mauve dinosaurs was easier than that shit.

omegaomega

Postby omegaomega » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:53 am

togepi wrote:I agree with most of the stuff here. I finished both LRs with 5 minutes to spare ( I usually finish right on time). I feel that I really dominated both of those sections and the RC were super easy. I thought the first RC I had was a lot easier but that might be due to not being burnt out, but generally speaking both were really easy compared to recent PTs.

I just really don't understand how I did so bad on the games. After 15 minutes I had only answered 3 questions and then I spent another 10 on the last game, which is the only one I understood. The remainder time was spent half assing game two and three and just flat out guessing on game one. I did the go big or go home strategy and picked random ones instead of the same letter for all of them.

I was thinking about cancelling but I'm hoping that I rocked the LR and RC to compensate for a -10 or so on the LG :(. Hard to pick up that slack though.

In my opinion the RC had all first passage type passages and the LG had three of the most difficult games I have ever seen. I thought Mauve dinosaurs was easier than that shit.

Totally agree. Thinking back the games are not extraordinarily hard, maybe four of them are all about above average difficulty. But under exam pressure it was really hard to think it through. And worst of all, the games do not render any major inference at all, and I had to draw out hypotheticals for each of the answer choices, which is ridiculously time consuming. Or someone can tell me that there is an easy way to do that?

I really wish I aced both LRs and RC to compensate for the epic failure of LG. But I was going faster than usual for the LRs and I'm paranoid about careless mistakes now.

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:13 am

I guess we both feel the same way. Those games reminded me of the old school games from the really early practice tests. I think I could have made anywhere from -13 to -8 on that section. I only ran into maybe 3-4 LR that were time consuming, most of them were really standard and easy. It's going to take a miracle for me to compensate for around a -10 on the LG section.

Hopefully the curve is around -11 ish so I can still have a shot at getting a 160+.

wu-01

Postby wu-01 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:52 am

ESCpurple wrote:I just got back from my LSAT in melbourne, I have to agree with what everyone else is posting about the LSAT. Definitely some weird games.

I took mine in Melbourne too, and got the same order of sections as well.

Definitely bombed on the games, which left me deflated for the rest of the test. I was also thrown by the double pages that others have touched on. Was sort of hoping it was the experimental section so I could redeem myself later, but no such luck.

EDIT: By the way, it also seemed as if they gave us less than 35 minutes for the first section. I set the minute hand on my watch to 12 at the start of every section and it seemed like we got the 5 minute warning when only 25 minutes had passed for the games. When we were told to stop the minute hand was somewhere around 32 minutes...not that the extra 3 minutes would have helped that much, but I probably could have thrashed out another 2 questions via process of elimination rather than just guessing.

The only section I felt somewhat happy about was the writing sample :( . I know US law schools pay practically no heed to the content apart from grammar and spelling, but hopefully Melbourne Uni do.
Last edited by wu-01 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

wu-01

Postby wu-01 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:56 am

ESCpurple wrote:

Far as I know, the only other way of finding out whether or not a section was experimental is to ask other LSATers (which is in violation of the contract you 'voluntarily' entered with LSAC). However, if you look around on the net, alot of American and Canadian LSATers are vigorously trying to find out which of their sections was experimental. I've looked at some discussions and am uncertain if the information is relevant to anything we (or at least I) just sat.

From what I've read so far, I'm reasonably sure the test the North Americans took in June is different to the one we just took. Their games section seems completely different (unless I've repressed all memories of the games section).

omegaomega

Postby omegaomega » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:59 am

wu-01 wrote:
ESCpurple wrote:

From what I've read so far, I'm reasonably sure the test the North Americans took in June is different to the one we just took. Their games section seems completely different (unless I've repressed all memories of the games section).

The other poster is not suggesting you to compare our test with the June test in North America, but to compare the sections with other test takers in Asia.

wu-01

Postby wu-01 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:08 am

omegaomega wrote:The other poster is not suggesting you to compare our test with the June test in North America, but to compare the sections with other test takers in Asia.

I was referring to this part of the post:

ESCpurple wrote:

ESCpurple

Postby ESCpurple » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:57 am

wu-01 wrote:
ESCpurple wrote:I just got back from my LSAT in melbourne, I have to agree with what everyone else is posting about the LSAT. Definitely some weird games.

Definitely bombed on the games, which left me deflated for the rest of the test. I was also thrown by the double pages that others have touched on. Was sort of hoping it was the experimental section so I could redeem myself later, but no such luck.

EDIT: By the way, it also seemed as if they gave us less than 35 minutes for the first section. I set the minute hand on my watch to 12 at the start of every section and it seemed like we got the 5 minute warning when only 25 minutes had passed for the games. When we were told to stop the minute hand was somewhere around 32 minutes...not that the extra 3 minutes would have helped that much, but I probably could have thrashed out another 2 questions via process of elimination rather than just guessing.

The only section I felt somewhat happy about was the writing sample :( . I know US law schools pay practically no heed to the content apart from grammar and spelling, but hopefully Melbourne Uni do.

Haha, I bought a watch with me, but I panicked and didn't check it for time so I have no idea if we were given more or less time. Were you at the test site where the fire alarm went off and everyone had to be evacuated before the test started?

EDIT: To the posters above, I was referring to North American candidates (in my defense, I did say its relevance to us was questionable).

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:56 am

The LG section was my second, and my confidence was through the roof after that first LR section. I just wanted to go home after not being able to do the first few games, and doing the RC section after that (which I think was experiemental) was painful because I was really apathetic after the games section. I tried to recollect myself during the break and finish strong, and was hopeful that the LG was experiemental, but it remained in the back of my mind during the whole test. I wish it was the last section so it wouldn't mess with my confidence.

wu-01

Postby wu-01 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 am

ESCpurple wrote:
wu-01 wrote:

Haha, I bought a watch with me, but I panicked and didn't check it for time so I have no idea if we were given more or less time. Were you at the test site where the fire alarm went off and everyone had to be evacuated before the test started?

EDIT: To the posters above, I was referring to North American candidates (in my defense, I did say its relevance to us was questionable).

No fire alarm where I took mine, just a really loud air conditioner. There were about 100 LSATers at mine and we got split up and put in two rooms that had a glass partition separating them so the two sets of proctors could see each other. One room got to their 15 minute break a bit earlier than the other...

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:39 am

No complaints about my test center other than the fact that I marked myself as a lefty and was giving the desk the closest to the door towards the wall. 2/3 of the righties were given two desks side by side, which although not advantageous for the most part, I still felt a little jealous.

The proctor had these leather shoes on and he would walk around the room very slowly so when he was near you, you could hear the leather bending, which annoyed me especially on the logic games. He was standing in front of me for most of it and I could feel him staring at my paper saying "Wow, this is kid is going to Cooley. It's been 20 minutes already and he hasn't done anything."

Woods

Postby Woods » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:57 am

togepi wrote:No complaints about my test center other than the fact that I marked myself as a lefty and was giving the desk the closest to the door towards the wall. 2/3 of the righties were given two desks side by side, which although not advantageous for the most part, I still felt a little jealous.

The proctor had these leather shoes on and he would walk around the room very slowly so when he was near you, you could hear the leather bending, which annoyed me especially on the logic games. He was standing in front of me for most of it and I could feel him staring at my paper saying "Wow, this is kid is going to Cooley. It's been 20 minutes already and he hasn't done anything."

my condolences,dude. The proctor sat next to me, staring at me and constantly making a noise once in a while.

Does anyone remember if there are 100 questions in total this time?

Lockitup

Postby Lockitup » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:30 pm

I took it in Buenos Aires and had RC RC LR LG LR. I agree with most of the posts so far. The test seemed fairly easy overall with the exception of the LG section which was one of the harder I've seen. I thought I'd leave the test center with a fairly good idea of how I did, but each day that passes makes me doubt my performance even more. Here's to a curve...

togepi

Postby togepi » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Woods wrote:
togepi wrote:No complaints about my test center other than the fact that I marked myself as a lefty and was giving the desk the closest to the door towards the wall. 2/3 of the righties were given two desks side by side, which although not advantageous for the most part, I still felt a little jealous.

my condolences,dude. The proctor sat next to me, staring at me and constantly making a noise once in a while.

Does anyone remember if there are 100 questions in total this time?

Yeah, 100 questions. LR (25) LR (25) LG (23) RC (27)

ESCpurple

Postby ESCpurple » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:56 pm

Anyone still trying to figure out which RC was experimental?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”