A year off, LSAT preparation

doandy09

A year off, LSAT preparation

Postby doandy09 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:31 pm

I am going into senior year of my undergrad and taking a year off after graduation. I plan to take the lsats in a about a year so what should I do to prepare? I was looking at power score but people say you shouldn't study hardcore with these books until you get closer to the date. Currently I am just reading basically, I read the Washington post, the economist, times , and other news media sites. Should i just continue what I am doing or should I start familiarizing myself with the test, start practice reading comprehension problems, etc. ? Any suggestion would be great . Thanks in advance!

Mr.Binks

Re: A year off, LSAT preparation

Postby Mr.Binks » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:48 pm

doandy09

Postby doandy09 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:58 pm

Nova wrote:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=396

Mr.Binks wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

Thanks these will be useful when I come close to take the exam but I'm wondering what I can do a year before that can prepare me, work on reading comprehension? Does it hurt to start this early?

Lock74

Postby Lock74 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:18 pm

I've started a year in advance and I'm glad I have. I would continue what your are doing and possibly invest in the bibles. There is nothing wrong with becoming familiarized with the test and working on weak areas. I plan to slowly work through the bibles and other books while drilling question types. Once I'm about six months away from I will begin pting.

Starting a year away from the test date is extremely subjective. If you believe you need it and or want it to ensure a top score then you must be dedicated but at the same time not become burnt out on the material.

If you would like a list of the material I am using and how I plan to go about spacing out a year of studying then shoot me a pm. HTH

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:42 pm

I guess it doesn't really hurt to read some denser material, but as far as prepping goes, a year is a bit extreme. 4 months of solid, devoted prepping will be more than enough.

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:02 pm

Do not even consider studying for less than a year if you have the time.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:09 am

IMO, you might as well get the Bibles and read them now. This year will go by super fast, and most people never hit their peak.

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:41 am

I'm in the same boat-- started studying about a year out for next February. Only doing about 25/hrs a month right now, going to ramp it up to probably 50-60 hours in the few months before the exam (if I can). But I'm not taking a year off-- full time job, so I'm trying to spread a 4-month study plan out over 12.

I think it was a good idea, as I still have a long ways to go, even though I've been studying for 100 hours so far.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:00 am

gobosox wrote:I'm in the same boat-- started studying about a year out for next February. Only doing about 25/hrs a month right now, going to ramp it up to probably 50-60 hours in the few months before the exam (if I can). But I'm not taking a year off-- full time job, so I'm trying to spread a 4-month study plan out over 12.

I think it was a good idea, as I still have a long ways to go, even though I've been studying for 100 hours so far.

Why on Earth are you taking the Feb Lsat?

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:50 pm

gobosox wrote:I'm in the same boat-- started studying about a year out for next February. Only doing about 25/hrs a month right now, going to ramp it up to probably 50-60 hours in the few months before the exam (if I can). But I'm not taking a year off-- full time job, so I'm trying to spread a 4-month study plan out over 12.

Taking the Feb LSAT to start LS in Fall '13 is a terrible idea. You will be very late and your cycle will suck. Even taking the Dec LSAT would result in a diminished cycle.

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Feb LSAT for 2014 admission (read apply fall of 2013)...

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:28 pm

gobosox wrote:Feb LSAT for 2014 admission (read apply fall of 2013)...

What ever floats your boat, I guess. At least youll have June/Oct to retake if you dont like your score.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Nova wrote:IMO, you might as well get the Bibles and read them now. This year will go by super fast, and most people never hit their peak.

This. Buy the bibles now, it's not going to hurt you. The only thing I would be weary of would be prep tests and real LSAT questions. As these resources are limited, I would wait until you get about 4 months out, otherwise you may risk exhausting the materials. Still, there is plenty to be gained by building fundamental understandings of the LSAT, and the bibles are a perfect way to do that.

Also, your gains from reading the economist, times, post, etc., will be minimal at best. The LSAT is about argument structure, those publications are geared toward content.

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:12 pm

Systematic1 wrote:
Nova wrote:IMO, you might as well get the Bibles and read them now. This year will go by super fast, and most people never hit their peak.

This. Buy the bibles now, it's not going to hurt you. The only thing I would be weary of would be prep tests and real LSAT questions. As these resources are limited, I would wait until you get about 4 months out, otherwise you may risk exhausting the materials. Still, there is plenty to be gained by building fundamental understandings of the LSAT, and the bibles are a perfect way to do that.

Also, your gains from reading the economist, times, post, etc., will be minimal at best. The LSAT is about argument structure, those publications are geared toward content.

I see your point, but I disagree about running out of material. I think you need to really plan out your time if you need to study over the course of a year. With the materials, make sure that you're really reviewing each question-- reading the explanations online, watching the 7sage tutorials after each LG, making a log of what you've done wrong (you always do something wrong-- don't just say you made a stupid mistake) etc. etc. It won't be as fast, but you'll extend your prep material and you'll really get more out of it that way. I'm basically taking the PithyPike guide and extending it.

Like I said, if you have enough time to be really intense with the stuff for 4 months, go for it. But if you barely have time to sleep every day, then doing it over a year can work. I doubt one could be really intense over the course of a year, though. I do think you'd run out of material then... Plus, you'd probably kill yourself.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”