Am I approaching this correctly?

emkd26

Am I approaching this correctly?

Postby emkd26 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:06 pm

Hey.
So far I have taken the intial timed diagnostic with a 165.
I am almost entirely through the logic games bible with 2 chapters left.
I have gotten to where I can do a logic game and miss none, occassionally I'll miss one. I think I have mastered or close to it the technique of setting up and solving.

The only thing now is timing.
Right now to get all correct, I am taking anywhere from 40 to 45 minutes for the logic games section.
To improve my timing I was planning on taking as many timed practice tests as I can until I get to where I want.
Would you do this or would you slowly restrict your time? Like give myself 40 minutes on one, then 38 on the next, so on and so forth?

Thanks.

cc.celina

Re: Am I approaching this correctly?

Postby cc.celina » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:07 pm

emkd26 wrote:To improve my timing I was planning on taking as many timed practice tests as I can until I get to where I want.

This is where it's at. The only way to get faster at LG once you've got it down is to do a crapload of them, and if you do them in the context of PTs that are as close to actual testing environment, it's even better. It's somewhat easier to do well on an LG section in isolation than when it's section 3 of a 5- or 6-section PT. If you're still struggling with time, I would suggest drilling on LG sections you've already done and had trouble with - this worked for me.

Good luck!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:07 pm

cc.celina wrote:The only way to get faster at LG once you've got it down is to do a crapload of them,

That's one way, but not the only way.

OP - when you're getting the questions correct, but you're doing it slowly, that means you're spending a lot of time doing stuff that isn't getting you closer to a correct answer. You're probably doing something, but it's not a real help (for instance, a lot of people draw out way too many possibilities, or try out each answer choice - both will have you going through steps that doesn't help you get to a correct answer).

So instead of just doing a ton of problems until you get faster (which is something you should also do, as you'll recognize more patterns and more rules that lead to deductions with practice), also spend time reviewing your work after you finish the section. See what you did that actually got you the answer, and see what parts of your work either just let you eliminate an answer in a question where you should be proving the right answer instead of disproving the wrong ones (MBT questions, for instance), or didn't really help you at all. Cutting those steps out in future games will save you a lot of time, especially if you're someone who likes to write out a lot for every question.

TheRainMan

Postby TheRainMan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:58 pm

emkd26 wrote:Hey.
So far I have taken the intial timed diagnostic with a 165.
I am almost entirely through the logic games bible with 2 chapters left.
I have gotten to where I can do a logic game and miss none, occassionally I'll miss one. I think I have mastered or close to it the technique of setting up and solving.

The only thing now is timing.
Right now to get all correct, I am taking anywhere from 40 to 45 minutes for the logic games section.
To improve my timing I was planning on taking as many timed practice tests as I can until I get to where I want.
Would you do this or would you slowly restrict your time? Like give myself 40 minutes on one, then 38 on the next, so on and so forth?

Thanks.

While you were mastering the logic games to the point of getting -0 to -1 you should have been simultaneously focusing on the timing part of it and developing strategies that work for you to get each section down to under 8:45. Basically, whatever strategies you currently use are not the helpful... but basically I would focus on each section and trying to get each section done in 8 minutes - that way you can have a little buffer in the event of an especially difficult section. When you do each 4some of LGs, when you turn the page write your time at the top and try to find out which types of games take you the longest.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”