Low test average, need tips

b33eazy

Low test average, need tips

Postby b33eazy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:10 pm

Okay, I took my LSAT in December and canceled because I was not prepared. I started studying again after I graduated and bought Powerscore Logical Reasoning, Logic Games and Reading (but heard it was useless). And I bought drills by type for LR, LG and Reading, so I would like to know is there anything else I would need? Also, I would like to add I'm studying an average of five hours a day, and I am having some problems with the Logic Games (unbalance/overfunded, Grouping, etc) and I have a little trouble with MBT (conditionally reasoning) and a few weaken. What can I do to improve my score?

I am doing the October LSAT and I am in chapter 6 for LR and Chapter 2 for LG. My initial diagnostic test was around a 140 (I should add this because will I have no taken a full test, the portions I would get about half of them right and I average that) and I am shooting for a 165+... Anyway, I am studying 5+ hours a day and the other issue I have other than accuracy is time (I could get problems correct, but I would spend 3 minutes on a LR question or 20 minutes on a LG problem).

So my question is are there any specific tips to improve my accuracy and speed? I've heard of 7stage (price isn't bad because my funds are VERY limited).

drive4showLSAT4dough

Re: Low test average, need tips

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Its not the amount of time per day you spend, its the amount of time per day you spend actually getting better. Don't worry about timing yet. Learn how to approach each type of question. Then once thats mastered, work on speed.

Forum search for Pithypike's Guide -- its a ruberic for how to form your own study strategy.

Key point: Stop wasting study time. Be deligent. Review all wrong AND all correct answers for why they were wrong or right.

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:29 pm

What about reading the chapters for Powerscore LR AND LG?

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:32 pm

b33eazy wrote:Okay, I took my LSAT in December and canceled because I was not prepared. I started studying again after I graduated and bought Powerscore Logical Reasoning, Logic Games and Reading (but heard it was useless). And I bought drills by type for LR, LG and Reading, so I would like to know is there anything else I would need? Also, I would like to add I'm studying an average of five hours a day, and I am having some problems with the Logic Games (unbalance/overfunded, Grouping, etc) and I have a little trouble with MBT (conditionally reasoning) and a few weaken. What can I do to improve my score?

I am doing the October LSAT and I am in chapter 6 for LR and Chapter 2 for LG. My initial diagnostic test was around a 140 (I should add this because will I have no taken a full test, the portions I would get about half of them right and I average that) and I am shooting for a 165+... Anyway, I am studying 5+ hours a day and the other issue I have other than accuracy is time (I could get problems correct, but I would spend 3 minutes on a LR question or 20 minutes on a LG problem).

So my question is are there any specific tips to improve my accuracy and speed? I've heard of 7stage (price isn't bad because my funds are VERY limited).

To ask the question is to know the answer. Less study, more PTing.

drive4showLSAT4dough

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:36 pm

b33eazy wrote:What about reading the chapters for Powerscore LR AND LG?

Sure -- read chapters while you learn each question type. Master the types. Then take and review as many PTs as you can.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:40 pm

Also, forgot to add...you must think critically about this test and not your lack of knowledge get to you. Each mistake you make is not because you are incompetent, but because you did not remember what you needed to remember. Each time you make a mistake, note it, note what type of problem it was, and why you made that error. If you notice several errors of the same type, study that section and figure out what you need to improve.

I know people who practiced their instruments for five hours a day in my music program. They would brag to their friends about it (and make their friends insecure), but come time for our music finals, they wouldn't do so hot. Why? They didn't practice to solve mistakes.

Hope this helps. You have the drive, you just have to figure out the method! :) I jumped from a 151 to a 164 in two months, so you can totally do this.

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:53 pm

drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:

Sure -- read chapters while you learn each question type. Master the types. Then take and review as many PTs as you can.

The problem is that after reading the chapters; I still have not mastered the types. So should I just read the chapters once and just drill on those problem types? (I have specifics LSAT types) or should I take a PT instead?

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Also, forgot to add...you must think critically about this test and not your lack of knowledge get to you. Each mistake you make is not because you are incompetent, but because you did not remember what you needed to remember. Each time you make a mistake, note it, note what type of problem it was, and why you made that error. If you notice several errors of the same type, study that section and figure out what you need to improve.

I know people who practiced their instruments for five hours a day in my music program. They would brag to their friends about it (and make their friends insecure), but come time for our music finals, they wouldn't do so hot. Why? They didn't practice to solve mistakes.

Hope this helps. You have the drive, you just have to figure out the method! :) I jumped from a 151 to a 164 in two months, so you can totally do this.

Do you mean do more problems and figure out what I got wrong or to reread the LR book on the type of problem I have not mastered?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:58 pm

If you have not already, read this thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... ?f=6&t=396

hereyago

Postby hereyago » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:04 pm

b33eazy wrote:

The problem is that after reading the chapters; I still have not mastered the types. So should I just read the chapters once and just drill on those problem types? (I have specifics LSAT types) or should I take a PT instead?

Drill the types. Re-read the chapters. Re-read the whole book.

Don't start PTing too early when you aren't ready.

b33eazy

Postby b33eazy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks. That what I will just do..

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:37 pm

b33eazy wrote:

This is going to come down to a 'style of learning' argument. For me and my style, I found it best to do the overview, understand what the problems were, than attempt several practice tests and see what my strengths and weaknesses are. Doing these problems in a timed PT setting is important, because that is what you are aiming for. To me, it sounds like you've done plenty of direct drilling, and should now be working on practice tests with the occasional remedial drill to deal with any problems or gaps in your knowledge of the test.

Out of curiosity B33eazy, what was your UG major?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”