Best Brain Food for LSAT Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Re: Best Brain Food for LSAT Prep

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:07 pm

I just ordered some stem cells.
http://www.stemcell.com/en/Order-Online.aspx

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Systematic1 wrote:
thederangedwang wrote: OP, getting nutrition from foods is best but when cost and time and other factors come into play, supplements can be ok. I would recommend getting some omega 3 supplements derived from fish oil. Make sure most of the OM3 is in the form of DHA or EPA...as I said before..there is no real research to support ALA is good for you so far. Also dont bother with the gimmicky omega 6 and 9 supplements.
Where do I buy these? How about something like http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-norweg ... 0-softgels?
Should be fine but idk

also look at % of the fish oil that is actually omega 3. Most come in 1000mg capsules but only 300 of that 1000 mg is omega 3..and then only a part of that 300mg is EPA and DHA.

i currently take this one
http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Valley-Str ... y+fish+oil

as you can see, its roughly 70% omega 3 as opposed to only 30%

your's is good too

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:19 pm

What would you guys say about this (LinkRemoved) fish oil?

I just bought some and they look a little darker than the ones I was taking before (LinkRemoved), which gave me a minor rash on my upper body until I stopped taking them.

The costco brand one was made from sardines and anchovies, whereas the Trader Joes' fish oil is made from Salmon Oil. How much of a difference does this make?

Systematic1

Bronze

Post by Systematic1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:13 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:What would you guys say about this (LinkRemoved) fish oil?

I just bought some and they look a little darker than the ones I was taking before (LinkRemoved), which gave me a minor rash on my upper body until I stopped taking them.

The costco brand one was made from sardines and anchovies, whereas the Trader Joes' fish oil is made from Salmon Oil. How much of a difference does this make?
I was wondering about the trader Joe's brand too, it looks legit, but I know nothing about this stuff.

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:54 pm

thederangedwang wrote:Lex is angry lol...and way to get personal..speaks highly about your character and your BS in nutrition

Just a short response since I aint gonna take the time to find studies that contradict your studies.

Organic foods have lower crop yields..surely you agree with me here. As a result of lower crop yields, studies have suggested that they offset any environmental benefits they might initially offer since more arable land is needed for the same yield.

And wtf with the creatine? There is no research indicating that it shrinks gonads...at least none I can find..maybe thats why you didnt link an article/study supporting this utterly ridiculous assertion.

And on that website you did link...it doesnt say it shrinks your gonads bro...it appears your best evidence that it does shrink gonads are rumors swirling around on bodybuilding FORUMS..lol at using a forum as a justification.
It's interesting that the majority of the words in this post either do not address anything of what I said, or regard the last and most insignificant component of what I said (Creatine).

I'm not sure why you think it's alright to say things like "studies have suggested", or "research has shown", without providing any citations. You may sound like you know what you're talking about when in the presence of people who don't know what they're talking about, but in academia and in the real world (both of which, I suppose, you seek to or have sought to at one time enter) it's pretty much dialectically unacceptable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Systematic1

Bronze

Post by Systematic1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:02 pm

LexLeon wrote: You may sound like you know what you're talking about when in the presence of people who don't know what they're talking about, but in academia and in the real world (both of which, I suppose, you seek to or have sought to at one time enter) it's pretty much dialectically unacceptable.
--ImageRemoved--

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:03 pm

Systematic1 wrote:
thederangedwang wrote: OP, getting nutrition from foods is best but when cost and time and other factors come into play, supplements can be ok. I would recommend getting some omega 3 supplements derived from fish oil. Make sure most of the OM3 is in the form of DHA or EPA...as I said before..there is no real research to support ALA is good for you so far. Also dont bother with the gimmicky omega 6 and 9 supplements.
Where do I buy these? How about something like http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-norweg ... 0-softgels?
Do you live in the world? You can go to walmart or vitamin shoppe

Systematic1

Bronze

Post by Systematic1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:20 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Systematic1 wrote:
Where do I buy these? If ordering online, where can I get the best deal/best product? How about something like http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-norweg ... 0-softgels?
Do you live in the world? You can go to walmart or vitamin shoppe

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:39 pm

LexLeon wrote: It's interesting that the majority of the words in this post either do not address anything of what I said, or regard the last and most insignificant component of what I said (Creatine).

I'm not sure why you think it's alright to say things like "studies have suggested", or "research has shown", without providing any citations. You may sound like you know what you're talking about when in the presence of people who don't know what they're talking about, but in academia and in the real world (both of which, I suppose, you seek to or have sought to at one time enter) it's pretty much dialectically unacceptable.
so basically, you are criticizing me on how i dont address all of your points while at the same time, you ignored my entire post on how your creatine assertion was bs?

also, go ahead and use the word dialectically in the real world while taking personal offense when someone offers a differing view on organic food...see how far that gets you

like i said, im not gonna take the time to source and credit everything, but if you must have a source that proves im not completely talking out of my ass, just wiki it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_fo ... tal_impact

they have several sections on the nutritional value of organic food as well as its environmental impact. My point is that there is mixed evidence in regards to organic economics and its nutritional worth. If you have the money to go all organic, fine, like I said before, its not bad. I'm just not sure it's as good as you swear by and apparently, live by

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:49 pm

For what it's worth, I stopped reading Lex's argument when he started discussing ALA's postcursors. Without doing any research, I'm confident that you're a casualty of the supplement industry's broscience marketing strategy.

Malakai

Bronze

Post by Malakai » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Systematic1 wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:What would you guys say about this (LinkRemoved) fish oil?

I was wondering about the trader Joe's brand too, it looks legit, but I know nothing about this stuff.
Though not in all cases, the content (salmon oil vs krill vs. anchovy etc.) the oils are derived from has the potential to lead to a higher, lower, or relatively static incidence of "fishy" burps one can exhibit when taking a fish oil supplement.

Also, regarding an above poster's mention of discarding Omega-6 & 9 in favor of a prime focus on Omega-3, there is a decent amount of fish oil brands and caps (more often than not, actually) that have them combined in the form of one pill. Omega-6 & 9 aren't mutually exclusive, nor do they have to be, when it comes to fish oil pills/supplementation. And in more cases than not, the price difference regarding 3-6-9 combination oils is not so large as to ward off potential buyers towards a fish oil supplement that is solely composed of Omega-3.

Regarding Omega-6 & 9, here is an example of supporting evidence (though I am not saying that I am appealing to this link as my sole evidence, I am instead suggesting that there is evidence that exists in support of the benefits of Omega 6 & 9).

http://wrnewz.com/the-health-benefits-o ... d-epa-dha/
Last edited by Malakai on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malakai

Bronze

Post by Malakai » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Oh, and honestly the manner in which it is derived doesn't really matter, as long as the numbers of DHA, EPA, and EFA are there and on par or above competing brands. The higher these numbers, generally, the more of the respective nutritional value/content you will be receiving (obviously). It also doesn't matter unless you have an allergy to any of the above, or have some sort of moral indignation regarding the manner or source in which the fish oil may be derived from

Note: Of course, the above argument depends on assuming that the labels regarding nutritional values/#'s regarding DHA/EPA/EFA are true. And of course with this lies the possibility that the labels are in fact not true. However, let's avoid that argument and just look at this as a statement of fact regarding the obvious: slightly higher numbers of these potentially beneficial properties does have the potential to confer more benefits than a lower-yield pill. This could be true UNLESS there is evidence that the body is only able to maximally absorb the dose of beneficial oils offered by the lowest yielding Omega 3-6-9 oils/per hour. But this type of evidence has yet to be found conclusive or even researched.

Note 2: Covering my bases against potential antagonists.

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Heres the "brain breakfast" that I had before PTing and that I had the day of; it always left me feeling focused and ready to take on the test:

2 eggs sunny side up
Small portion of grain/granola cereal with whole milk
Some of that 'green' supplement smoothie powder blended together with pomegranate and orange juice and half a banana

A gram or so of Aniracetam powder (brain supplement) mixed with half a shotglass of olive oil.

It's important to get a constant routine going for your PT and to follow on your actual test day. I recommend implementing this breakfast into that routine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Malakai

Bronze

Post by Malakai » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:18 pm

Neatrends wrote:Heres the "brain breakfast" that I had before PTing and that I had the day of; it always left me feeling focused and ready to take on the test:

2 eggs sunny side up
Small portion of grain/granola cereal with whole milk
Some of that 'green' supplement smoothie powder blended together with pomegranate and orange juice and half a banana

A gram or so of Aniracetam powder (brain supplement) mixed with half a shotglass of olive oil.

It's important to get a constant routine going for your PT and to follow on your actual test day. I recommend implementing this breakfast into that routine.
I'd also agree with this. Eggs are great. Do milk if you can, if you are lactose then shoot for an OJ brand that has some of the same nutritional content as some milks (I think some minute maid OJ brands are similar in some ways to nutritional value in some milk).

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:16 pm

gotta ask why you chose to go with whole milk as opposed to skim or 1%, otherwise everything else sounds delicious...(i dont know what the heck aniracetam is though)

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:10 am

My teacher gave me smarties before my fifth grade spelling bee, and I won.

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:29 am

thederangedwang wrote:gotta ask why you chose to go with whole milk as opposed to skim or 1%, otherwise everything else sounds delicious...(i dont know what the heck aniracetam is though)
Whole because I find it most delicious among milk types. Adjust to personal preference if you wish :)

Aniracetam is a brain supplement with cognition enhancing effects. Studies show it improves memory function, concentration, etc for alzheimers patients and other mentally impaired individuals, and may (though not definitively proven to) also give a cognitive edge to people with young and healthy brains.

I figured a little extra potential mental sharpness couldnt hurt, so I took it in the month leading up to the lsat. If you want to do more research look up "nootropics."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”