Anybody Studying for the LSAT in Seoul?

Late.Autumn

Anybody Studying for the LSAT in Seoul?

Postby Late.Autumn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi there,

I recently graduated from college in the States and will be preparing for the upcoming Oct. LSAT in Seoul, S. Korea.
I was hoping to form a study group of like-minded individuals aiming for 175+.
I've so far gotten in touch with a couple people (at some other site) and it would be great if there were any other folks studying in Seoul.

To join the study group, your LSAC GPA should be above 3.7.

If interested, please leave a reply or shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

TheThriller

Re: Anybody Studying for the LSAT in Seoul?

Postby TheThriller » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Late.Autumn wrote:Hi there,

I recently graduated from college in the States and will be preparing for the upcoming Oct. LSAT in Seoul, S. Korea.
I've so far gotten in touch with a couple people (at some other site) and it would be great if there were any other folks studying in Seoul.

Thanks!

This has no relation to studying for a 175+ LSAT.

dowu

Postby dowu » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:25 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:

Thanks!

Seriously. OP is a moron.

aekea

Postby aekea » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:58 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
MillerTheThriller wrote:

Thanks!

Haha what a strange and arbitrary form of exclusion.

Applying_Late

Postby Applying_Late » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:06 pm

aekea wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
MillerTheThriller wrote:

Thanks!

Not arbitrary at all if the OP wants to make a lasting friend group with people who might end up at the same school. If you are studying with people who are gunning for HYS, why not limit the GPA to a minimum of a 3.7? I don't see anything arbitrary, and I think the OP is also looking for people who have shown some commitment throughout their college years. Maybe the kid who gets a 180 is a total slacker and doesn't know how to explain his way of thinking to the group. Someone with at least a 3.7 has shown some form of dedication. Someone with a 3.7 and a 175+ shows dedication and intelligence. That is why HYS has some sort of minimum for GPA and doesn't look just at the LSAT.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:25 pm

aekea wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
MillerTheThriller wrote:

Thanks!

What a joke. Not only arbitrary, but arbitrary and capricious.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Not arbitrary at all if the OP wants to make a lasting friend group with people who might end up at the same school. If you are studying with people who are gunning for HYS, why not limit the GPA to a minimum of a 3.7? I don't see anything arbitrary, and I think the OP is also looking for people who have shown some commitment throughout their college years. Maybe the kid who gets a 180 is a total slacker and doesn't know how to explain his way of thinking to the group. Someone with at least a 3.7 has shown some form of dedication. Someone with a 3.7 and a 175+ shows dedication and intelligence. That is why HYS has some sort of minimum for GPA and doesn't look just at the LSAT.

Are you kidding me? Let me break down how misguided you are bit by bit.

1) You assume he want's to make a lasting friendship with these people. It's a study group, not an AA cry session.
2) You assume these people are "gunning" for HYS. God forbid they send an app to Chicago.
3) A 3.7+ GPA shows commitment through their college years while a 180 "slacker" did not. I have a 3.1 gpa and PTd average around 175 while being a D1 athlete. Don't tell me I'm not dedicated, not committed.
4) Someone lower then a 3.7 cannot explain LSAT questions to a group. Really?
5) You set in opposition a 3.7 and everyone else by saying that someone below a 3.7 has not "shown some form of dedication" and someone who maybe has scored a 174 or lower has not shown "intelligence" and that because of this Harvard, Yale and Standford has gpa requirements to weed out these undedicated, unintelligent people. Instead these 3.6/174 undedicated, unintelligents will be at shit schools like Columbia, Penn, NYU.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Applying_Late wrote:Someone with at least a 3.7 has shown some form of dedication. Someone with a 3.7 and a 175+ shows dedication and intelligence.

Yeah, I'm going to join in with the others and say this is not really true. I have a ~3.9 and my roommate has a ~3.4, but she works way harder than me because she's an engineering major. Extenuating circumstances can severely affect your GPA, as can your undergrad institution, and I think you're forgetting that many if not most of the people applying to law school have spent quite a few years out of undergrad, and they and their work ethics are far removed from their crazy college selves.

OP, I understand you want to work with people with similar goals and study habits, which makes perfect sense. You might have a better study group, and risk offending less people, If you instead ask that people be PT'ing at a certain level, since it has a much more consistent correlation with LSAT performance than GPA.

shntn

Postby shntn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks!

Wow. Having taken the LSAT in Seoul, you should be thanking your lucky stars to find anyone to study with.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:50 pm

shinton88 wrote:Wow. Having taken the LSAT in Seoul, you should be thanking your lucky stars to find anyone to study with.

Pretty much what I was thinking, but still, it's their group let them do what they want with it.

aekea

Postby aekea » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:08 pm

Applying_Late wrote:
aekea wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
MillerTheThriller wrote:

The guy's in Seoul. Do you think he's really in the position to limit himself to HYS gunners taking the October LSAT? I mean, if his goal is to find a lasting friend group he's going to be sorely disappointed. Also, having a 3.7 and wanting a 175+ is basically meaningless in terms of predicting what schools someone will get into. So, limiting himself to this 3.7 GPA isn't going to be very helpful if he wants to weed out all the non-HYS riffraff. Maybe the guy who gets a 180 is a slacker, sure. Maybe somebody with a 3.7 is a slacker. Maybe they're an Engineer, maybe they had Cancer during UG and it fucked they're GPA. Maybe GPA tells us very little about how good of a study partner someone will be for the LSAT. Having a 3.7 and a 175+ might show some dedication and intelligence. Wanting a 175+ and thinking only people with a 3.7 GPA or higher are well-suited to study with you might show that you lack the reasoning skills to get that score, or at least, are grossly naive about how the test works.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Systematic1 wrote:it's their group let them do what they want with it.

this is probably tcr though.

aekea

Postby aekea » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:15 pm

cc.celina wrote:

I refuse. I'm buying a ticket to Seoul and crashing this discriminating study group with my 3.6 GPA and they will like it. Anybody know if Southwest has flights to Korea? I don't want to spend more than like $200 on this.

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:30 am

aekea wrote:
cc.celina wrote:

I refuse. I'm buying a ticket to Seoul and crashing this discriminating study group with my 3.6 GPA and they will like it. Anybody know if Southwest has flights to Korea? I don't want to spend more than like $200 on this.

I wouldn't want to hang out with that douche. Save your money.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:50 am

OP, there are many sub 3.7s much smarter than you.

Pokarface

Postby Pokarface » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:02 am

aekea wrote:
cc.celina wrote:

Haha, just imagine the look at their faces when you tell them, "Oh, hai! My gpa is 3.6, can I join you for the LSAT study session?

aekea

Postby aekea » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:06 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:
aekea wrote:
cc.celina wrote:

I wouldn't want to hang out with that douche. Save your money.

Well I wouldn't really be hanging out. We all know I was just going to slack off and explain LSAT questions poorly. Classic 3.6!

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 am

aekea wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:I wouldn't want to hang out with that douche. Save your money.

Well I wouldn't really be hanging out. We all know I was just going to slack off and explain LSAT questions poorly. Classic 3.6!

So inferior

rivermaker

Postby rivermaker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:43 am

do we need to bring proof of GPA?

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:23 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:58 am

Max324 wrote:A healthy portion of the high-scorers who post on this board are splitters. In some respects, splitters (or would-be splitters) are uniquely motivated to get a top score because we know how much our lackluster GPAs could hurt our admission chances.

This is wisdom. Heed.

Applying_Late

Postby Applying_Late » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:17 am

MillerTheThriller wrote:

Are you kidding me? Let me break down how misguided you are bit by bit.

I'm not misguided at all. Regardless of whether or not OP is Korean, there are plenty of hardcore Koreans who meet his requirements. Also, Koreans take HYS seriously and getting into one of them is a dream of a lot of people there. If you have someone studying with you who is not of that caliber, well, they are simply not welcome.

1) You assume he want's to make a lasting friendship with these people. It's a study group, not an AA cry session.

I didn't assume. I said *if* that's the case the OP wants to make some friends, then it's not arbitrary. Read my post again. On top of that you can make lasting friendships from study groups that aren't necessarily AA cry sessions.

2) You assume these people are "gunning" for HYS. God forbid they send an app to Chicago.

Yes, I do assume this. He is in Korea, and a majority of Koreans--if they have a shot--gun for HYS. In fact, I've learned that some Asians who get into HYS go to H because it's H even though life might be better at YS and that YS are ranked better than H. I don't even care if he is not Asian. He lives in a country that guns for HYS and thinks Chicago is TTT. (Frankly ask any passerby outside of the US if they've heard of Chicago...I bet the majority won't know. If you ask them about HY, they will know.)

3) A 3.7+ GPA shows commitment through their college years while a 180 "slacker" did not. I have a 3.1 gpa and PTd average around 175 while being a D1 athlete. Don't tell me I'm not dedicated, not committed.

Good for you. And there are D1 athletes who have a 3.7+ GPA who go to HYS, were Rhodes/Marshall Scholars etc. As commendable as your 3.1 GPA may be with the caveat that you were a D1 athlete, HYS won't take you. There are reasons why certain places have floors.

4) Someone lower then a 3.7 cannot explain LSAT questions to a group. Really?

They can. But chances of that person being of the same mindset is low. It might also bring group morale down if say everyone talks about HYS from day one and that other kid can never be a part of that group's gunnery enthusiasm. Also, I might as well state it here. It's not like a 3.698 wouldn't be accepted into the group, but there is a floor.

5) You set in opposition a 3.7 and everyone else by saying that someone below a 3.7 has not "shown some form of dedication" and someone who maybe has scored a 174 or lower has not shown "intelligence" and that because of this Harvard, Yale and Standford has gpa requirements to weed out these undedicated, unintelligent people. Instead these 3.6/174 undedicated, unintelligents will be at shit schools like Columbia, Penn, NYU.

I think everyone is intelligent in their own way. In regards to the LSAT, I think that the higher the scorer the more a specific skill set that person brings. I also think that the higher the GPA, the more of a specific skill set that person brings. If you combine two high scores (GPA + LSAT), you get a very specific type of person. I think getting a 3.7 these days is not very difficult except at some schools that actively pursue grade deflation and maybe even some majors but this is becoming less true as time goes by. I mean look at medical schools. They floor GPAs at about a 3.7 (if not more these days). They want individuals who are either bright and/or bring dedication. A 3.7 certainly speaks to some level of competence. I don't think someone is unintelligent simply because they don't have a 3.7, but I would question their history and certainly look at what factors made them fall below this line. Also, Columbia Penn and NYU aren't shit schools, they are damn good schools, but OP might be looking for HYS gunners and thus wants to set what I think is an OK bar (as past HYS numbers confirm).

Applying_Late

Postby Applying_Late » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:25 am

cc.celina wrote:
Applying_Late wrote:Someone with at least a 3.7 has shown some form of dedication. Someone with a 3.7 and a 175+ shows dedication and intelligence.

Yeah, I'm going to join in with the others and say this is not really true. I have a ~3.9 and my roommate has a ~3.4, but she works way harder than me because she's an engineering major. Extenuating circumstances can severely affect your GPA, as can your undergrad institution, and I think you're forgetting that many if not most of the people applying to law school have spent quite a few years out of undergrad, and they and their work ethics are far removed from their crazy college selves.

OP, I understand you want to work with people with similar goals and study habits, which makes perfect sense. You might have a better study group, and risk offending less people, If you instead ask that people be PT'ing at a certain level, since it has a much more consistent correlation with LSAT performance than GPA.

Your roommate and I have something in common. Engineering isn't nice, but then again, if you get the math, if you get the problem solving, you should be OK. And by that I mean pulling a 3.7 at least. To get a 3.4 in engineering is not very good. You're not even pulling cum laude at most schools with that GPA, and by that I mean the engineering school's cum laude list.

I agree that extenuating circumstances, undergrad institution and all that jazz can affect your GPA, but I don't care and often times HYS doesn't either if you fall below a certain threshold. It's also nice that people learn how to discipline themselves after college, but again, HYS doesn't pity them as we see from their floors. OP wants kids who really had their shit together from day 1, and I don't blame them. If OP has a vision of creating this "elite" study team, why attack him for setting standards that don't appear to be arbitrary?

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:27 am

Applying_Late wrote:
cc.celina wrote:

Your roommate and I have something in common. Engineering isn't nice, but then again, if you get the math, if you get the problem solving, you should be OK. And by that I mean pulling a 3.7 at least. To get a 3.4 in engineering is not very good. You're not even pulling cum laude at most schools with that GPA, and by that I mean the engineering school's cum laude list.

I agree that extenuating circumstances, undergrad institution and all that jazz can affect your GPA, but I don't care and often times HYS doesn't either if you fall below a certain threshold. It's also nice that people learn how to discipline themselves after college, but again, HYS doesn't pity them as we see from their floors. OP wants kids who really had their shit together from day 1, and I don't blame them. If OP has a vision of creating this "elite" study team, why attack him for setting standards that don't appear to be arbitrary?

because they are arbitrary

Applying_Late

Postby Applying_Late » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:37 am

aekea wrote:The guy's in Seoul. Do you think he's really in the position to limit himself to HYS gunners taking the October LSAT? I mean, if his goal is to find a lasting friend group he's going to be sorely disappointed. Also, having a 3.7 and wanting a 175+ is basically meaningless in terms of predicting what schools someone will get into. So, limiting himself to this 3.7 GPA isn't going to be very helpful if he wants to weed out all the non-HYS riffraff. Maybe the guy who gets a 180 is a slacker, sure. Maybe somebody with a 3.7 is a slacker. Maybe they're an Engineer, maybe they had Cancer during UG and it fucked they're GPA. Maybe GPA tells us very little about how good of a study partner someone will be for the LSAT. Having a 3.7 and a 175+ might show some dedication and intelligence. Wanting a 175+ and thinking only people with a 3.7 GPA or higher are well-suited to study with you might show that you lack the reasoning skills to get that score, or at least, are grossly naive about how the test works.

Yes, I know of many people who took the OCT LSAT. The October LSAT is not late at all. From what I understood, the OP has scored in that range (and hopes to continue in that range). I could be wrong in that assumption, he said he is preparing, whatever that means. And he is looking for similar scorers with a GPA above 3.7+. Having a 3.7+ with a 175+ gives you a pretty good shot at HYS.

It could be true that a 3.7+ is a slacker, but the probability of a 3.7+ being a slacker is much less that a 3.0 being a slacker. Those that had cancer during UG, we are sorry for their situation, but sometimes that's all we can be. They are outliers. Also I'm not convinced that we can't find just as many cancer patients in UG who had a 3.7+ to those who haven't. The engineer argument is valid but up to a certain point. Since I have been in that field, I can say that getting a 3.7 shouldn't be too damn hard. A lot of engineers I met liked to have fun, didn't go the extra mile to understand the concepts, and were content with being in the middle of the class. Since they all knew they'd get some job, why bust ass to get higher? All they needed to do was to stay afloat. In fact, I bet those kids who just wanted to stay afloat wouldn't pull a 3.7 in any humanities course. Getting a 4.0 in engineering is probably harder than getting a 4.0 in some humanities classes, but that beside the point.
Last edited by Applying_Late on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”