LG/LR Bibles

JohnV

LG/LR Bibles

Postby JohnV » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:39 am

So I have these 2 huge books (got them for free at a raffle, believe it or not), and I'm wondering if they are worth the time to devote a week or so of studying to them instead of just PTing like I've been doing. I started out at a 158 diag and have consitently moved up to (167 time high so far) in 2 weeks so far (taking the test in Oct. if I feel ready, Dec. if I am not consistently above 170 at that point). Have these 2 books helped you guys in any noticable way?

I should say that LR is probably my best section, average 2 - 4 misses every time but it'd be nice to make that 0 - 2. LG 'can' be my best section, but it's really hit and miss. I either soar through and miss 0 - 1 or I run into a game that I fail to make decent inferences and waste 12 - 15 minutes getting half the questions wrong (worst I do is probably -9). Not sure what the best way to go about practicing this section is. I guess the book couldn't hurt at this point but I would like some testimonies to its worth anyways if you guys don't mind.

kcam1991

Re: LG/LR Bibles

Postby kcam1991 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:54 am

Definitely read lgb. It will stabilize your score in that section. Lrb is an option. It wouldn't hurt tho.

pdeturk

Postby pdeturk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:59 am

JohnV wrote:So I have these 2 huge books (got them for free at a raffle, believe it or not), and I'm wondering if they are worth the time to devote a week or so of studying to them instead of just PTing like I've been doing. I started out at a 158 diag and have consitently moved up to (167 time high so far) in 2 weeks so far (taking the test in Oct. if I feel ready, Dec. if I am not consistently above 170 at that point). Have these 2 books helped you guys in any noticable way?

I should say that LR is probably my best section, average 2 - 4 misses every time but it'd be nice to make that 0 - 2. LG 'can' be my best section, but it's really hit and miss. I either soar through and miss 0 - 1 or I run into a game that I fail to make decent inferences and waste 12 - 15 minutes getting half the questions wrong (worst I do is probably -9). Not sure what the best way to go about practicing this section is. I guess the book couldn't hurt at this point but I would like some testimonies to its worth anyways if you guys don't mind.

I went from a diag of 165 to prepping between 173 and 176 using these and Pithypike's method. Great books

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:59 am

LR I seem to miss because I tend to read carelessly after a bit of a drain which is unfortunate because the more difficult questions tend to be at the end (where the bulk of my mistakes are). It's not uncommon for me to score perfect on the first 19 questions and then miss 4 of the last 6 or so. I wonder If I should start practicing by starting somewhere in the middle first so by the end when I'm starting to have a mental lag I'm at less difficult questions? Has anyone tried or have comments for that strategy?
Last edited by JohnV on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:00 am

LRB took me from -2 to -4 per section to -0 to -1 per section! Definitely worth reading even if you do well on the section now.

Noitaraperp

Postby Noitaraperp » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:56 pm

LR I seem to miss because I tend to read carelessly after a bit of a drain which is unfortunate because the more difficult questions tend to be at the end (where the bulk of my mistakes are). It's not uncommon for me to score perfect on the first 19 questions and then miss 4 of the last 6 or so. I wonder If I should start practicing by starting somewhere in the middle first so by the end when I'm starting to have a mental lag I'm at less difficult questions? Has anyone tried or have comments for that strategy?

The bulk of your mistakes being near the end could be a function of the questions getting more difficult, rather than a focus drain, so consider that as well.

Nonetheless, I had the same feeling that I started to lose focus after a while, with my eyes glossing over the page in a way that I had to read the stimulus over again. My suggestion to you is to read the LRB (because it is good at categorizing questions and actually making you aware of the flavors of question stems) and do lots of practice tests of course. Often LR is something that gets fine-tuned after a bunch of practice tests (and of course, careful review, which is so easy in LR since the questions are so contained).

Also, it's good to understand the general structure of LR sections, although now I feel like LSAC is consciously moving away a bit from this model. I find that from 1-15 is generally manageable, from 16-23 is where you will find some of the difficult, time-consuming questions, and from 24-26 the questions get more manageable again. As such, I trained hard to do the first 15 questions in 15 minutes. Having this tangible goal actually helps your mind focus, because it no longer feels like you are just doing problem after problem - you are moving toward benchmarks. This goal also gave me more time to work on the tricky questions in the latter part of the section.

Malakai

Postby Malakai » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Noitaraperp wrote:
I find that from 1-15 is generally manageable, from 16-23 is where you will find some of the difficult, time-consuming questions, and from 24-26 the questions get more manageable again. As such, I trained hard to do the first 15 questions in 15 minutes. Having this tangible goal actually helps your mind focus, because it no longer feels like you are just doing problem after problem - you are moving toward benchmarks. This goal also gave me more time to work on the tricky questions in the latter part of the section.

I also agree with the described difficulty ranges in this statement. I'd like to add that every once in a while they'll throw you 1 or 2 wrenches in 10-14. Both bibles will definitely help though. Got me from a mid 150's cold to PT'ing in the low 170's.

One thing I would suggest with the bibles, albeit a somewhat generic pieces of advice, would be to make sure you actively read and take your time if you have to. Some of the ideas/concepts may seem foreign at first, and may more than likely require you to read some statements in the books several times over to fully comprehend and apply the material at hand, since it is in a format that goes: Lesson ==> Apply what you've learned to these practice problems.

Hope that helps.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:45 am

The bulk of your mistakes being near the end could be a function of the questions getting more difficult, rather than a focus drain, so consider that as well.

I'm sure that's part of it but when I go back and look at the answers, for the most part I look at them and think "Obviously, why did I miss that?" and I can feel myself just getting tired.

Also, it's good to understand the general structure of LR sections, although now I feel like LSAC is consciously moving away a bit from this model. I find that from 1-15 is generally manageable, from 16-23 is where you will find some of the difficult, time-consuming questions, and from 24-26 the questions get more manageable again. As such, I trained hard to do the first 15 questions in 15 minutes. Having this tangible goal actually helps your mind focus, because it no longer feels like you are just doing problem after problem - you are moving toward benchmarks. This goal also gave me more time to work on the tricky questions in the latter part of the section.

I've been studying the by trying to do the first 15 in 15 as well which has really improved my completion of the section in a noticeable way. When I first started I struggled to finish 24 questions on time, now I'm finishing with 3 - 5 minutes to spare and I try to use that time to go over questions I either skipped or marked to review for later when the time pressure wouldn't be on as hard. Still, identifying when I've made a careless reading mistake is next to impossible so I need to just stop making them.

RC is still giving me some trouble. I finish on time but accuracy is much lower. It score anywhere from -4 to -7 on that section and I barely finish each time. I'm not a very fast reader and for some reason I am terrible at the "Main Point" questions which are in every passage. I've tried a new approach of underlining important parts of the document to keep myself focused but so far no major breakthroughs. However, RC has easily been my least studied section and mostly because it's not fun to study. The only practice I've had on them is during preptest, unlike the other 2 sections.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:21 am

If a -9 is even a possibility for you, it would be a huge mistake not to read the LGB. I would say that was my single most important resource (after PTs) for prep.

The LR Bible is definitely worth a look, too. I found that using it in conjunction with LR questions grouped by type was a great combination. It improved my speed and accuracy significantly (especially speed) and that was very important for me.

Noitaraperp

Postby Noitaraperp » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:59 am

RC is still giving me some trouble. I finish on time but accuracy is much lower. It score anywhere from -4 to -7 on that section and I barely finish each time. I'm not a very fast reader and for some reason I am terrible at the "Main Point" questions which are in every passage. I've tried a new approach of underlining important parts of the document to keep myself focused but so far no major breakthroughs. However, RC has easily been my least studied section and mostly because it's not fun to study. The only practice I've had on them is during preptest, unlike the other 2 sections.

I found the Main Point questions manageable for the reason that you can compare the answer choices and often two good choices emerge. I then look at scope and accuracy (by accuracy, I mean whether one uses a specific word that kills that answer choice) and it usually becomes clear. Also, don't approach the reading as something you need to "keep focused" on, but rather an engaging and interesting read, and you'll underline interesting parts of it (but don't underline too much).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”