Taking LSAT Autumn of Junior Year

Alaric

Taking LSAT Autumn of Junior Year

Postby Alaric » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm just curious, has anyone here taken the LSAT in September/October of junior year? It seems that the most common time to take it is in June before senior year, but I kind of like the idea of using my post-sophomore summer break to study for it while I have no classes to worry about. That way I will be ready by Autumn of my junior year and can take it then. What are the pros and cons of this plan?
(Please don't respond by saying that this topic has been posted before. I am new to this forum.)

Mal Reynolds

Re: Taking LSAT Autumn of Junior Year

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Just take it whenever you're ready. If you can devote enough time in your summer and you're scoring at or above your goal before the test, then take it. If you're not scoring that well on practice tests then postpone. You have plenty of time to study again.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:58 pm

I had planned on doing what you're thinking until money issues forced me to be a June before senior year person.
Doing it early is a great idea if, like Mal said, you're ready. That way, if there's a wonky logic game or a bad testing site, you have plenty of time to try again.

One con I could see would be that you might not have time to take a critical thinking class, which helped me out a lot on LR. Additionally, taking it mid-semester might distract you from your classes, or your classes might distract from the test. You might want to take a light class load if possible.

Noblesse_Oblige

Postby Noblesse_Oblige » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:15 am

I certainly recommend a June test (due to the afternoon time, and the lack of classes to distract you).

However, I'm still technically a Sophomore (due to transfer credits and being one credit off) And I Just took the LSAT.

I think if you're ready you should take it early. It sure would suck to fail the end of senior year, then have to take it again in October.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Alaric wrote:I'm just curious, has anyone here taken the LSAT in September/October of junior year? It seems that the most common time to take it is in June before senior year, but I kind of like the idea of using my post-sophomore summer break to study for it while I have no classes to worry about. That way I will be ready by Autumn of my junior year and can take it then. What are the pros and cons of this plan?
(Please don't respond by saying that this topic has been posted before. I am new to this forum.)

I'm doing this. I wasn't happy with any of the opportunities that I had this summer so I decided to study FT for the LSAT while working PT.

Edit: Graduating in Fall 2013.

ar1656

Postby ar1656 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:22 pm

I'm going to be a junior this fall and I'm taking my LSAT in Oct.
Reasons?
1. Prep-time over summer will be much more efficient
2. If you take the June exam, you have to study during spring classes, which is less efficient
3. If I wait to take it until right before applications are due and the score comes back lower than expected, I'm completely screwed (your score may be lower than your choice schools will accept)
4. If you want to submit an application early (so you can be more likely to be accepted), don't wait until the last minute to take your exam. (granted your schools have rolling admissions)

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:28 pm

To chime in with the other voices, I just finished sophomore year and took the June test. If you have time to study, by all means, go for it. It's really nice to have it done without the clock ticking.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm

I took my first December of my 4th year (5 year program) and my retake the following June. I did it in December because of my courseloads for that spring/fall. Unfortunately I scored at the bottom of my range in Dec. Do what's best for you.

princeR

Postby princeR » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:54 pm

You should definitely take time off after UG and make sure law school is what you want.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”