Considering an e-reader version for Atlas RC book. Thoughts?

User avatar
Malakai
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Considering an e-reader version for Atlas RC book. Thoughts?

Postby Malakai » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:46 am

Hello guys,

As you can see from the above, i'm considering buying an e-version for the Atlas RC book. I am not doing this for reasons that are at all trendy, as I am considering this purely for the potential weight/space reduction as well as the reduced price (about $15 cheaper than the paper format). For those who may suggest that the weight difference would be marginal between an iPad and paperback book, I would like to add that I already have a minimum of 3-4 prep-books on me during any prep session, since my sessions average to about 7-8 hours per day, at a location outside of the home.

Background information aside, my question for those who have used Manhattan/Atlas RC guide is: Is there a pretty sizable portion of the Atlas/Manhattan RC book that has you work problems in the book? If so, that would obviously lead me to buy it in paperback format and suck up the weight. I don't really mind purchasing the paperback, if the paperback book would require me to work problems into the book. Really, i'm just looking into the other alternatives and the increased convenience. Any information (no matter how short or to the point it may be) would be greatly appreciated! And best of luck to those preparing for their LSAT exams!

- Malakai

Edited: Narrowed the question's applicability, as indicated by bold lettering. A
Last edited by Malakai on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Considering an e-reader version for Atlas RC book. Thoughts?

Postby KevinP » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:54 am

When I went through Manhattan (Atlas) RC, I used separate pieces of paper to write down the practice problems. I don't think you'll be doing a disservice to yourself in any way if you buy the ebook and just use that approach. Although IIRC, there weren't that many problems.

User avatar
Malakai
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: Considering an e-reader version for Atlas RC book. Thoughts?

Postby Malakai » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:58 am

Ahh ok perfect. The potential for 'disservice' is pretty much exactly what I wanted to avoid. Thanks Kevin!

... Anyone else have any thoughts?

kaseyb002
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Considering an e-reader version for Atlas RC book. Thoughts?

Postby kaseyb002 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:42 am

You could always download Notability on your iPad and use a stylus to mark it up directly. That's what I've been doing with another book.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Considering an e-reader version for Atlas RC book. Thoughts?

Postby 03152016 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:15 pm

.
Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Malakai
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: Considering an e-reader version for Atlas RC book. Thoughts?

Postby Malakai » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:58 pm

Max324 wrote:It's fine. Writing answers on scratch paper should suffice, though you won't be able to notate (which is what a hefty chunk of the book talks about).


How much of the book (percentage-wise) would you say involves notating?

User avatar
Malakai
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: Considering an e-reader version for Atlas RC book. Thoughts?

Postby Malakai » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:01 pm

kaseyb002 wrote:You could always download Notability on your iPad and use a stylus to mark it up directly. That's what I've been doing with another book.


Also Kasey, would you mind divulging what prep-book you're using Notability with? Just curious to see if I already have it in paperback or not, and whether it would be worth looking into :P

Manhattan LSAT Noah
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Re: Considering an e-reader version for Atlas RC book. Thoughts?

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:11 am

Malakai wrote:
Max324 wrote:It's fine. Writing answers on scratch paper should suffice, though you won't be able to notate (which is what a hefty chunk of the book talks about).


How much of the book (percentage-wise) would you say involves notating?

There's a lot of drills in there, but I think you'll be OK -- it's the doing of it that's important, not the record-keeping. Actually, you might like the ability to go back and re-do drills without seeing your previous work.

I didn't know about notability - thanks for the tip. I've been wary of folks studying with e-readers, but I probably should get over that!

User avatar
IgosduIkana
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:50 pm

Re: Considering an e-reader version for Atlas RC book. Thoughts?

Postby IgosduIkana » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:10 am

Yes there are some drills in the RC e-reader version. If you want to mark it up, you can always use a highlighter/pen on your e-reader. If you're not cool with that (not a huge inconvenience to me, but perhaps it may be for you), I would buy the print edition. Also it's a supremely useful guide.

User avatar
Malakai
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: Considering an e-reader version for Atlas RC book. Thoughts?

Postby Malakai » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:
Malakai wrote:
Max324 wrote:It's fine. Writing answers on scratch paper should suffice, though you won't be able to notate (which is what a hefty chunk of the book talks about).


How much of the book (percentage-wise) would you say involves notating?

There's a lot of drills in there, but I think you'll be OK -- it's the doing of it that's important, not the record-keeping. Actually, you might like the ability to go back and re-do drills without seeing your previous work.

I didn't know about notability - thanks for the tip. I've been wary of folks studying with e-readers, but I probably should get over that!


I could certainly agree with this. In fact, I am still pretty wary of using e-readers for some of the LSAT prepbooks. If someone asked for advice regarding their use and LSAT prep, I would certainly recommend against using an e-reader as a sole source for LG and LR. This, especially if they hadn't even touched the paper format :P .

Besides that, Manhattan Noah, say I were to use the the Atlas RC book as just the reader and used scratch paper (I know it's not permitted in test centers, it would be more to imitate the visceral experience of writing on paper). Would you say that would involve me having to do a lot of sentence-by-sentence rewriting straight from the book? Or would you recommend a stylus if I do pursue the e-reader option? I don't mind if you haven't personally bought and used the e-reader format, but I think it would be reasonable to base a possible decision off your knowledge of the format of the work/content of the Manhattan RC book itself.

Manhattan LSAT Noah
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Re: Considering an e-reader version for Atlas RC book. Thoughts?

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:11 am

Malakai wrote:Besides that, Manhattan Noah, say I were to use the the Atlas RC book as just the reader and used scratch paper (I know it's not permitted in test centers, it would be more to imitate the visceral experience of writing on paper). Would you say that would involve me having to do a lot of sentence-by-sentence rewriting straight from the book? Or would you recommend a stylus if I do pursue the e-reader option? I don't mind if you haven't personally bought and used the e-reader format, but I think it would be reasonable to base a possible decision off your knowledge of the format of the work/content of the Manhattan RC book itself.

I'm afraid I haven't used an e-reader much and have never used a stylus with one, but the drills often ask you to summarize things or label parts of a passage. Nothing too involved in terms of writing. You should be fine either way. Personally, I learn/think better when something is on paper. When I edit writing, I have to print it out (sorry trees). But, perhaps folks are increasingly learning to learn by reading text on a screen.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dj9i27, TAD and 8 guests