Inappropriate June 2012 Curve

JohnV

Re: Inappropriate June 2012 Curve

Postby JohnV » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:12 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Lol people still seem mad that LSAC actually gave more room for logic games. Lol just lol at thinking this somehow means you deserve a more lenient curve. Wishful thinking.

Why don't they just supply a peice of scratch paper in each games section? Seems asinine to dictate how much space you are able to use to work out problems based off how long they decided to word questions, unless testing how small your handwriting can get is part of the knowledge they seek.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:19 am

JohnV wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Lol people still seem mad that LSAC actually gave more room for logic games. Lol just lol at thinking this somehow means you deserve a more lenient curve. Wishful thinking.

Why don't they just supply a peice of scratch paper in each games section? Seems asinine to dictate how much space you are able to use to work out problems based off how long they decided to word questions, unless testing how small your handwriting can get is part of the knowledge they seek.

I always figured the lack of space was an intentional minor challenge. It forced test takers to be efficient with their diagrams and hypos.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:38 am

Nova wrote:
JohnV wrote:

I always figured the lack of space was an intentional minor challenge. It forced test takers to be efficient with their diagrams and hypos.

It also indirectly rewards people who write small as opposed to others who write big. Someone should had told me that was a testable skill when I was a kid.

Noitaraperp

Postby Noitaraperp » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Remember the fourth game of PT57? It was the one right after the dinosaur game, and it had absolutely no space. It's almost as if they were saying you didn't need to diagram.

Rehmsmeyer

Postby Rehmsmeyer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:29 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
tmon wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
TERS wrote:The additional space, while unexpected, was helpful. The adjustment should've been instantaneous: "Oh, they've given me extra space. Cool. I'll proceed as usual." For me, it was instantaneous, and I had done a lot of practice LG sections beforehand (the former layout was sufficiently ingrained, in other words).

What is strange to me is that the experimental LGs have, to my knowledge, been limited to one page each, and you'd think that LSAC would ensure those questions/sections used to create the curve would be identical both in content and layout...

At any rate, the idea that LSAC would come up with a more lenient curve because of a slightly different and arguably more conducive layout? Delusional.

Why is it delusional? It had negative affects. It affected the experiment. Thus, if they are going to be fair, they MUST compensate for the change.

Because maybe, JUST MAYBE, it also had positive effects that you're conveniently ignoring. :lol:

What could you have done with more space that you couldn't have done with the previously alotted space? Use it for more hypotheticals and waste time? Isn't that another negative effect? No one needed that much space. It's like being given a 5 by 5 foot table to do the LSAT and then being unexpectedly moved to a different room and given a 10 by 10 foot table. Wow. We got extra room to do the LSAT guys. Does that make the LSAT you're taking any easier? No.

^ This.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:20 pm

The derp just doesn't stop.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:22 pm

Noitaraperp wrote:Remember the fourth game of PT57? It was the one right after the dinosaur game, and it had absolutely no space. It's almost as if they were saying you didn't need to diagram.

I think they were saying **** you.
Last edited by Nova on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rehmsmeyer

Postby Rehmsmeyer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Hey, guys. I made a Mauve Dino with a Koch's Curve border to show my appreciation for this June's LSAT. Hope you all like him!

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Huh... So thats what mauve looks like.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:39 pm

This thread fails hard.

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:04 pm

Helicio wrote:This thread fails hard.

I don't know...just when I was thinking "why wont this thread die??" someone drew a mauve dinosaur. Although, it doesn't make up with him/her agreeing with the derp.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:32 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote: since each LG on the LG section on this June test were on 2 pages rather than 1, and since they were given as experimental on previous tests on 1 page, this means that the previous and current taking of said section are significantly different to warrant the curve set by them inappropriate for current test takers.
?
Someone explain what the problem here is, because I don't get it

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Rehmsmeyer wrote:Hey, guys. I made a Mauve Dino with a Koch's Curve border to show my appreciation for this June's LSAT. Hope you all like him!

u are the best :D

fronkman

Postby fronkman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:The derp just doesn't stop.

RodionRaskolnikov

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:09 pm

dingbat wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote: since each LG on the LG section on this June test were on 2 pages rather than 1, and since they were given as experimental on previous tests on 1 page, this means that the previous and current taking of said section are significantly different to warrant the curve set by them inappropriate for current test takers.
?

The whole experimental sections are used as a scientific experiment. Let's just look at another scientific experiment to show you what I mean. Suppose that you are wondering if the amount of light has an effect on plant growth. You have two plants. The first plant you give no light, and the second plant you give light. EVERYTHING ELSE has to remain same. The amount of water, the humidity and temperature, and everything else must remain the same. The only variable that can change in the experiment is the one you are testing. If the results are different (let's say the plant with light grew 5 inches but the plant without light died), then you can say that amount light (because it was the thing different between the plants) but NOTHING ELSE (because everything else remained the same) has had an effect on the plant growth difference between two plants. THe experiment would be flawed, or it would be flawed to say that light had an effect, if you changed something else along with light, let's say you gave different light and different temperature, placing one in the freezer and one in the desert or something.

The experimental section on the LSAT works the same. They are testing the difficulty of the questions, or the questions themselves. Thus, the only thing that can change between the time they tested the questions as experimental, at which point they derived the curve, and the actual administration of those questions are the people taking it. THe questions will remain the same, and everything else MUST remain the same for them to ensure that the curve they received when giving the questions as experimental will be appropriate for people who took it for real. But, since they changed the lay out, they cannot say, or it would be flawed to say, that the curve fits the latter administration of the LG section. Who knows if the people who had it as experimental but were surprised with extra space like we were would have performed worse, or better, or same?

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:24 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
dingbat wrote:
?

The whole experimental sections are used as a scientific experiment. Let's just look at another scientific experiment to show you what I mean. Suppose that you are wondering if the amount of light has an effect on plant growth. You have two plants. The first plant you give no light, and the second plant you give light. EVERYTHING ELSE has to remain same. The amount of water, the humidity and temperature, and everything else must remain the same. The only variable that can change in the experiment is the one you are testing. If the results are different (let's say the plant with light grew 5 inches but the plant without light died), then you can say that amount light (because it was the thing different between the plants) but NOTHING ELSE (because everything else remained the same) has had an effect on the plant growth difference between two plants. THe experiment would be flawed, or it would be flawed to say that light had an effect, if you changed something else along with light, let's say you gave different light and different temperature, placing one in the freezer and one in the desert or something.

The experimental section on the LSAT works the same. They are testing the difficulty of the questions, or the questions themselves. Thus, the only thing that can change between the time they tested the questions as experimental, at which point they derived the curve, and the actual administration of those questions are the people taking it. THe questions will remain the same, and everything else MUST remain the same for them to ensure that the curve they received when giving the questions as experimental will be appropriate for people who took it for real. But, since they changed the lay out, they cannot say, or it would be flawed to say, that the curve fits the latter administration of the LG section. Who knows if the people who had it as experimental but were surprised with extra space like we were would have performed worse, or better, or same?

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:40 pm

tmon wrote:
Helicio wrote:This thread fails hard.

I don't know...just when I was thinking "why wont this thread die??" someone drew a mauve dinosaur. Although, it doesn't make up with him/her agreeing with the derp.

ilovelawtays

Postby ilovelawtays » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Maybe you should have used the extra space to write your complaint to LSAC, brah.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:21 am

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:Who knows if the people who had it as experimental but were surprised with extra space like we were would have performed worse, or better, or same?

You honestly mean to tell me that having extra space has a material impact on performance?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:23 am

dingbat wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:Who knows if the people who had it as experimental but were surprised with extra space like we were would have performed worse, or better, or same?

You honestly mean to tell me that having extra space has a material impact on performance?

Well, yeah. I'm not saying his argument isn't stupid but it's pretty clear that's what he is trying to say.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Well, yeah. I'm not saying his argument isn't stupid but it's pretty clear that's what he is trying to say.

I know that's what he's trying to say, I just don't get how he's serious.

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:48 am

Nova wrote:Huh... So thats what mauve looks like.

hahahahaha

woolfiot

Postby woolfiot » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:01 pm

fronkman

Postby fronkman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:18 pm

ilovelawtays wrote:Maybe you should have used the extra space to write your complaint to LSAC, brah.

This made me lol, I am glad you created am account to post this.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:19 pm

fronkman wrote:
ilovelawtays wrote:Maybe you should have used the extra space to write your complaint to LSAC, brah.

This made me lol, I am glad you created am account to post this.

Me too. Great 1st post :lol:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”