Looking for feedback on LSAT app

Noblesse_Oblige

Re: Looking for feedback on LSAT app

Postby Noblesse_Oblige » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 am

BalanceCare wrote:After a beat-down like that, I think it would be wise to decommission your user name and sign up with a new one.

Really? I've seen better.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:31 am

20 dollars seems a bit pricey. I could buy 10 prep tests for that.

User_Name

Postby User_Name » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:01 am

This sounds interesting. I'd like one code, thanks!

nerdcoach

Postby nerdcoach » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

It's unfortunate that some people are offended by the name and premise of our app, as it was never our intention. We stand by the name since we mean it in the most endearing terms and will be sure to add content to our website to clarify that point.

Our app is not intended to be relied on as anyone's sole study source for the LSAT. The app is meant to complement a comprehensive study regime.

There are certain words that the writers of the LSAT use to confuse test-takers (feel free to dispute that if you'd like). The app explains to the user why each of those words is important, and trains him/her to spot them among distracting text, until spotting the words becomes second-nature. If you have already mastered this skill, which it sounds like a lot of you have, then our app probably isn't for you. But if you'd like to brush up on identifying keywords and deepen your understanding for why they are important, our app will help in a new and fun way.

Again, we're not recommending this as anyone's only way to study for the test and recognize that there is not a one-size-fits all approach to preparing for the LSAT, but the techniques in our app have proven themselves effective with our students for years.

At time I'm writing this, there have already been 383 views in the under 24 hours since this post went up and only a handful of responders. We'd love to hear from other people reading this thread about what you'd like to see in a mobile LSAT app and if you'd like to try our current app for the iPhone. Please feel free to post here, or to continue reaching out to us privately through PM or the submission form on our website.

We are here to help and answer any of your questions.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:50 pm

nerdcoach wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone.

It's unfortunate that some people are offended by the name and premise of our app, as it was never our intention. We stand by the name since we mean it in the most endearing terms and will be sure to add content to our website to clarify that point.

Our app is not intended to be relied on as anyone's sole study source for the LSAT. The app is meant to complement a comprehensive study regime.

There are certain words that the writers of the LSAT use to confuse test-takers (feel free to dispute that if you'd like). The app explains to the user why each of those words is important, and trains him/her to spot them among distracting text, until spotting the words becomes second-nature. If you have already mastered this skill, which it sounds like a lot of you have, then our app probably isn't for you. But if you'd like to brush up on identifying keywords and deepen your understanding for why they are important, our app will help in a new and fun way.

Again, we're not recommending this as anyone's only way to study for the test and recognize that there is not a one-size-fits all approach to preparing for the LSAT, but the techniques in our app have proven themselves effective with our students for years.

At time I'm writing this, there have already been 383 views in the under 24 hours since this post went up and only a handful of responders. We'd love to hear from other people reading this thread about what you'd like to see in a mobile LSAT app and if you'd like to try our current app for the iPhone. Please feel free to post here, or to continue reaching out to us privately through PM or the submission form on our website.

Why are you charging $20 for this then?

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:57 pm

nerdcoach wrote:Hey everyone,

My friend and I are both LSAT instructors and after years of tutoring we decided to make an LSAT study app. We know that answering multiple choice questions all day can get tedious, so we created a series of games that help hone cognitive skills essential for the LSAT. You can see an overview video on our website (http://www.nerdcoach.com)

It just launched so we're trying to get as much feedback as possible. We have 10 promo coupons for anybody interested, so just reply below and we'll send you a code!

Also, if you have any other LSAT related questions, we'd be happy to help!

Joe

NO. This app seems to offer little to no help. Not worth the $20, IMO.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:01 pm

This is a far inferior option to loading the preptest PDFs onto your iPhone/iPad and using a program like GoodNotes to markup the PDF. GoodNotes costs like $4. The only reason to suggest an alternative/supplemental study method is if you believe that the iPhone is not a suitable place for question review and I think that's outrageous. A far more useful program would be one that could decipher circled answers on digitally marked up PDFs and then grade (perhaps in real time) according to programmable answer keys...if you're trying to avoid LSAC question licensing fees.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:13 pm

NerdCoach: TLS really isnt a focus group but whatever, we'll bite.

First things first, you need a new video. Regardless of your intentions and the fact that you'll be adding a note clarifying this point, the old video is pretty bad.

I'm no business man/major/entrepreneur, but I do have enough acumen to know that so far everybody on TLS that has seen the video has suggested that its not very good. A 0% favorability rating on your ad is probably bad.

1) Get a new video that shows the app without all the references to nerds.

Also, a substantial portion of the commenters here have suggested that it's overpriced. Either find a way of justifying its cost (you havent even offered a single justification here on TLS despite multiple people saying its too expensive) or lower the cost.

Joeshan520

Postby Joeshan520 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:32 pm

I'd like a promo code if there are any left.

Noblesse_Oblige

Postby Noblesse_Oblige » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:02 pm

nerdcoach wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone.

iPhone? Really, everyone know Android is where it is at! Plus it is easier to develop for and you earn more of the profit. Guess my promo code is useless. lol

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”