Looking for feedback on LSAT app

nerdcoach

Looking for feedback on LSAT app

Postby nerdcoach » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Hey everyone,

My friend and I are both LSAT instructors and after years of tutoring we decided to make an LSAT study app. We know that answering multiple choice questions all day can get tedious, so we created a series of games that help hone cognitive skills essential for the LSAT. You can see an overview video on our website (http://www.nerdcoach.com)

It just launched so we're trying to get as much feedback as possible. We have 10 promo coupons for anybody interested, so just reply below and we'll send you a code!

Also, if you have any other LSAT related questions, we'd be happy to help!

Joe

kred627

Re: Looking for feedback on LSAT app

Postby kred627 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:16 pm

I'll take one if there are any left...

Thanks!

:mrgreen:

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Sort of an offensive premise

nerdcoach

Postby nerdcoach » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:27 pm

kred627 wrote:I'll take one if there are any left...

Thanks!

:mrgreen:

Hey kred627 - just sent one over! Let us know what you think!

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:29 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Sort of an offensive premise

like GeekSquad?

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:32 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Max324 wrote:Just watched the YouTube video on your website. Absolutely shocking.

decided to watch it, def made me squirm a bit

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:53 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Max324 wrote:Just watched the YouTube video on your website. Absolutely shocking.

Right? Now you know why I said it's offensive.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:55 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

Right? Now you know why I said it's offensive.

Yeah, at first I was like whatever its OK for a name..but then when the video was like think like a nerd act like a nerd, look how nerds naturally link antecedents....I was like wtf.

nerdcoach

Postby nerdcoach » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Hey all - we're nerds and see the word as a term of endearment! Let us know if you'd like to try the app!

tos1979

Postby tos1979 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:25 pm

I'd like one please.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:30 pm

nerdcoach wrote:Hey all - we're nerds and see the word as a term of endearment! Let us know if you'd like to try the app!

Yea you've missed the point. It's not offensive to people who do consider themselves nerds --it's offensive to people who think logically and don't consider themselves to be nerds.

nerdcoach

Postby nerdcoach » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Laxbrah, the video says that we've noticed that "there are a few things that nerds naturally do to succeed that a lot of folks don't do."

From that, did you conclude that we were saying that only nerds do those things?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:06 pm

STFU with your spam. Go help people with questions if you want but this is dumb.

omegaomega

Postby omegaomega » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:12 pm

any codes left? I'd like one
the keyword hunter idea looks interesting

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:12 pm

nerdcoach wrote:Laxbrah, the video says that we've noticed that "there are a few things that nerds naturally do to succeed that a lot of folks don't do."

From that, did you conclude that we were saying that only nerds do those things?

Yes

nortedesotu

Postby nortedesotu » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:13 pm

nerdcoach wrote:Laxbrah, the video says that we've noticed that "there are a few things that nerds naturally do to succeed that a lot of folks don't do."

--ImageRemoved--

nerdcoach

Postby nerdcoach » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey omegaomega, just PM'd you a code. Please let us know if we can answer any of your LSAT-related questions!

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:56 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

nerdcoach

Postby nerdcoach » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Max324,

Thanks for your feedback.

We hear your point and recognize that just memorizing keywords isn't enough. Too many students memorize them but don't know why they're important. That's why we wrote detailed explanations for over 180 keywords, explaining why they matter on the test. The app then forces the student to practice filtering those keywords from distracting text. In our years of tutoring, we've found that becoming adept at spotting these words, while knowing why they're important, leads directly to score improvement.

We know that our app seems simple and recognize that it does not obviate the need to practice in-format questions. We designed it to supplement traditional test prep, not replace it.

What games or mobile features do you think we could add to the app to make it helpful for you and other students? We came to this forum for feedback because we want to improve our app to make it as useful to as many people as possible.

BalanceCare

Postby BalanceCare » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:48 am

I went into it with an open mind, but video was a big turnoff. I think your current approach will be really good at attracting people who have very little intelligence for you to insult. just mho as a potential user.

Noblesse_Oblige

Postby Noblesse_Oblige » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:08 am

I haven't watched the video, but really people, who is offended by being called a nerd? According to Urban Dictionary a nerd is described as "One whose IQ exceeds his weight." "An Overly Intelligent person" And "Your future boss"

I don't think nerd is a derogatory term anymore. If you are have any specialized, detailed, knowledge, of anything. Then you are a nerd. Ie: the LSAT, Law, Law School admissions, baseball, football, cars, etc. It's like being offended for being called a jock, just say "I'm not sure I fit into that category" and get over it.

Anyway, Like Max said above, I think an LSAT app is a GREAT idea. However, I don't see how memorizing words would help anyone on any section. Yes, it may be enough of a cheap trick to get to 160, but it would also hinder the goal of 180, there are just more efficient methods. Like actual Reading Comprehension instead of memorization. And it certainly isn't worth $20. What OS is this for anyway? I will take a promo code if you still have one so you can prove me wrong. If you would like any more feedback after that, let me know.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:54 am

Noblesse_Oblige wrote:I haven't watched the video, but really people, who is offended by being called a nerd? According to Urban Dictionary a nerd is described as "One whose IQ exceeds his weight." "An Overly Intelligent person" And "Your future boss"

I don't think nerd is a derogatory term anymore. If you are have any specialized, detailed, knowledge, of anything. Then you are a nerd. Ie: the LSAT, Law, Law School admissions, baseball, football, cars, etc. It's like being offended for being called a jock, just say "I'm not sure I fit into that category" and get over it.

Anyway, Like Max said above, I think an LSAT app is a GREAT idea. However, I don't see how memorizing words would help anyone on any section. Yes, it may be enough of a cheap trick to get to 160, but it would also hinder the goal of 180, there are just more efficient methods. Like actual Reading Comprehension instead of memorization. And it certainly isn't worth $20. What OS is this for anyway? I will take a promo code if you still have one so you can prove me wrong. If you would like any more feedback after that, let me know.

Wow really? So many things wrong with your post

1) We aren't offended by being called or nerd (since its not really directed to us) or having the app called nerd alert. We are talking about the video...you know, that thing you didnt watch.

2) Maybe you should watch the video before you debate us on, oh I don't know, how offensive the video is. Kinda like somebody telling us how the LSAT is w/o actually having taken one

3) You seriously used urbandictionary as a source? Well two can play that game. According to wikipedia, and this is the first paragraph

Nerd is a derogatory stereotype of a person typically described as socially-impaired, obsessive, or overly intellectual. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular or obscure activities, pursuits, or interests, which are generally either highly technical, or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3] Other nerdy qualities include physical awkwardness, introversion, quirkiness, and unattractiveness.[4] Thus, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and is a social outsider. In the stereotypical high-school situation, they may be either considered loners by others, or associate with a small group of like-minded people. As with other pejoratives, nerd has been reappropriated by some as a term of pride and group identity.

4) Even using the 3 urban dictionary definitions you provided. You didn't see how 2 of the three were actually negative? "One whose IQ exceeds his weight" is clearly a riff about the stereotype of how nerds are weak and small and overly smart. While "an overly intelligent person" is also clearly negative since its never good to be overly anything.

5) Maybe you should urbandictionary the definition of a jock. People should be offended when you call them that since, well...here are a few definitions
A person, who, contributes little or nothing to society.

Signs of a jock: Rude, arrogant, stupid, beats up people, dates only cheerleaders and hangs around other jocks

Dumbass athletes

The point of this is, that video is cashing in (well not really since nobody seems to be biting) on a negative stereotype in an incredibly blatant manner. It's one thing to name your company or whatever GeekSquad. It's another thing to push that to another level...which is what is done here

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:23 am

boom

BalanceCare

Postby BalanceCare » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:27 am

After a beat-down like that, I think it would be wise to decommission your user name and sign up with a new one.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”