How do you review logic games?

lawschool2014hopeful

How do you review logic games?

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Sorry for the multiple post on logic game Qs, but I am feeling kinda stuck on deciding on how to review them

For LR/RC I review why each answer choice is right and wrong with every question

However, I dont see any benefit in doing this for logic games. What do you guys do?
Do you guys just keep doing and redoing games? or do you follow some sort of reviewing process.

cc.celina

Re: How do you review logic games?

Postby cc.celina » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Yea, redo them. It's the best way

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:03 pm

cc.celina wrote:Yea, redo them. It's the best way

+1

Over, and over. Like shooting free throws.
Last edited by Nova on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:15 pm

is there any point of reviewing the wrong answers at all?

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:17 pm

jimmierock wrote:is there any point of reviewing the wrong answers at all?

I mean, you should figure out why you got the wrong answer, preferably by redoing the question without knowing what the answer is. But if you got a question wrong, it's probably a good call to redo the entire game after enough time has passed to forget the questions. At the very least, it'll help you get faster.

kaseyb002

Postby kaseyb002 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:26 pm

I think that's the most valuable part. After you do a game and if you get any wrong, I think it's extremely beneficial to try and figure what caused you to get it wrong. For example, I found that I was looking back at hypo's for previous questions that had a local rule that didn't apply to the current question. This caused me to get a ton wrong early on.

I've found a ton of bad habits that have caused to get particular questions wrong.

Getting wrong answers should be viewed as valuable information for your improvement.

I am not an LG expert by any means, but I have noticed a big improvement by searching for my weaknesses.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Not sure if you mean reviewing the 4 wrong answer choices on any given question, or the wrong answers YOU choose.

If the former, I think its good practice to review all ACs when learning, but after you have AR down well, I think its fine to just move on to the next question, without proving the other 4 wrong (including live practice testing and review).

If the latter, yes, your incorrect answers are the most importaint ones to review. I would suggest marking which ones you got wrong after finishing a section, but not marking the right answer. Then, go back and solve it again. The right answer is usually painfully obvious the second time around.

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Nova wrote:

Not sure if you mean reviewing the 4 wrong answer choices on any given question, or the wrong answers YOU choose.

If the former, I think its good practice to review all ACs when learning, but after you have AR down well, I think its fine to just move on to the next question, without proving the other 4 wrong (including live practice testing and review).

If the latter, yes, your incorrect answers are the most importaint ones to review. I would suggest marking which ones you got wrong after finishing a section, but not marking the right answer. Then, go back and solve it again. The right answer is usually painfully obvious the second time around.

Sorry I should have clarified, I mean the wrong answer choices of every question, on the ones I gotten right. I definitely review the Q I personally gotten wrong. And I have been using a system that you suggested earlier, if I get any Q wrong on a game, ill erase it, do couple other games and redo it again.

My biggest issue is that I have no idea if my way of doing games is the most efficient way to do so. Sometimes I can do a game in about 12 minutes, I question myself whether if there is a fundamental flaw in my approaches (powerscore + self modifications), or the timing is something that will ONLY come after thousands of trials. It gives me an uneasy feeling if you understand what I mean.

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:07 pm

I didn't review all the wrong answers. It didn't seem like it would provide as much insight as it would in LR or RC. Games is pretty black and white when you get down to it, if you looked at all the wrong answers, it would probably go something like, "Well that's just fucking stupid," over and over again.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:29 pm

bdeebs wrote:I didn't review all the wrong answers. It didn't seem like it would provide as much insight as it would in LR or RC. Games is pretty black and white when you get down to it, if you looked at all the wrong answers, it would probably go something like, "Well that's just fucking stupid," over and over again.

Did you do anything "special" to refine your approaches in games? or it just came naturally as you redo the games over and over again.

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:34 pm

I initially worked only with the LGB. I drilled games several times, but never saw the improvements that I wanted. Eventually I looked at approaches from a couple other sources and certain things just clicked more. So my overall improvement came from synthesizing the things that I liked from each source into my own personal method and then doing games at least every other day to keep my skills sharp.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:59 pm

bdeebs wrote:I initially worked only with the LGB. I drilled games several times, but never saw the improvements that I wanted. Eventually I looked at approaches from a couple other sources and certain things just clicked more. So my overall improvement came from synthesizing the things that I liked from each source into my own personal method and then doing games at least every other day to keep my skills sharp.

I am experiencing the EXACT same problem atm.

I saw in the other thread that you said you used somethings from 7 sage/Velocity

Was the free videos enough for you to get a taste of their methods or did you purchase service? Did you use anything else?

(I am currently working through the Manhattan on top of powerscore, their method on pure sequencing is genius, but I still struggle with basic linear questions with many negative or conditional rules).

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:26 am

I ended up purchasing velocity, although more for the LR/RC than LG. I got in on 7sage while it was still in beta. Basically, I combined my fundamental knowledge from Powerscore with the diagram layouts from Velocity, and several other tips/tricks from 7sage. I think you could get the jist of the Velocity stuff from his free videos, but I don't know what 7sage offers exactly now that they're out of the beta stage. I do know they offer explanations for almost all recent logic games sections, so you could probably pick up a lot of their stuff just by paying attention to what they say during the tutorials.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:03 am

bdeebs wrote:I ended up purchasing velocity, although more for the LR/RC than LG. I got in on 7sage while it was still in beta. Basically, I combined my fundamental knowledge from Powerscore with the diagram layouts from Velocity, and several other tips/tricks from 7sage. I think you could get the jist of the Velocity stuff from his free videos, but I don't know what 7sage offers exactly now that they're out of the beta stage. I do know they offer explanations for almost all recent logic games sections, so you could probably pick up a lot of their stuff just by paying attention to what they say during the tutorials.

Awesome thanks man,

1 more question if you dont mind answering.

What type of games did you feel the most benefit from 7sage/velocity? Is there any specific type of game video instruction/explanation I should check out particularly?

jjrialva

Postby jjrialva » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:04 pm

It's sad for me to read so many people saying it's better to redo the whole game even if you miss one question. Most of the time I just missed 1-2 questions and most of the time when I checked I completely forgot to take into account one rule. I didn't redo them I just did new games and a lot of them.

I wouldn't separate game types (just in case wanting to do specific games might lead you to it) I would do them as they come and identifying them will come naturally (like identifying when only a few set ups to the game exist BEST FEELING EVER, but also don't get caught up and think you MUST have every set up when this happens). Concentrate on developing the tools and identifying patterns to attack. It might be good to do 2 or 3 games knowing before hand what type is it but after that start mixing. It's the same thing with LR you might want to do few questions knowing what type they are but it's almost worthless to practice them consistently individually instead of a set with mix questions types. I'm a -0 to -4 LG guy so if anyone here thinks is a bad advice let him know.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:54 pm

jjrialva wrote:It's sad for me to read so many people saying it's better to redo the whole game even if you miss one question. Most of the time I just missed 1-2 questions and most of the time when I checked I completely forgot to take into account one rule. I didn't redo them I just did new games and a lot of them.

I wouldn't separate game types (just in case wanting to do specific games might lead you to it) I would do them as they come and identifying them will come naturally (like identifying when only a few set ups to the game exist BEST FEELING EVER, but also don't get caught up and think you MUST have every set up when this happens). Concentrate on developing the tools and identifying patterns to attack. It might be good to do 2 or 3 games knowing before hand what type is it but after that start mixing. It's the same thing with LR you might want to do few questions knowing what type they are but it's almost worthless to practice them consistently individually instead of a set with mix questions types. I'm a -0 to -4 LG guy so if anyone here thinks is a bad advice let him know.

I used to do games as a test present them, but I was just a headless chicken and hoping to make lucky deductions. I mean I can recognize the game type. But I still had no systematic approach, is like seeing a bullet coming at you in slow motion but you are shell shocked hoping for the aha moment, this is why I have moved towards game type training, in hope to develop a systematic approach to 1 game type at a time. I mean there are only few major game types (putting things in order 2d/3d, and putting things in groups, multi/binary). And the occassion mix/weird pattern games which I guess I can only just hope the best for.

My biggest issue is that I am still struggling with the 2d putting things in order in a systematic format that allows me to do the game in about 8mins.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”