Blueprint or Manhattan LSAT live course? Please help!

Djfresh1212

Blueprint or Manhattan LSAT live course? Please help!

Postby Djfresh1212 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm taking the October LSAT and have set aside all summer in Los Angeles to study. I'm stuck on which course to sign up for because I keep reading different things about both so I decided to make my own post. I'm choosing between the Blueprint course in Northridge and the Manhattan LSAT course in Westwood. Has anyone taken either and have any tips or advice for me? I haven't even started studying yet. I heard Manhattan is phenomenal but I'm a little hesitant because it's not as renowned as Blueprint. Manhattan offers less in-class time but what's drawing me is the 170+ concentration because that is my goal. I learn best through one-on-one interaction (as I'm sure almost everyone does) and was never a student who took much from class anyway. I really can't make a decision and I need to sign up in the next few days. If someone can help me out, that would be great. Thanks!

gaud

Re: Blueprint or Manhattan LSAT live course? Please help!

Postby gaud » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:58 pm

I haven't taken either of the courses, but from what I've heard I can't imagine either one would be bad. They're both legit companies.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Both good. Both have representatives frequenting these boards and giving great advice.
Go with whichever is cheaper/more convenient for you.
If same price and same convenience, go BluePrint. Manhattan has a ton of free info online, including explanations to almost every questions ever given, so you can still get that.

Djfresh1212

Postby Djfresh1212 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:30 pm

But it seems like they are very different from each other. Blueprint has 112 hours of live instruction whereas Manhattan has only 36 hours and 1 weekly 30-minute 1-on-1 tutoring session with the instructor. I'm trying to score 170+ but don't want to be stuck in an extremely rigorous class and be behind. It's been driving me nuts.. I know both classes are great, I just want to make sure I'm choosing the better one for myself

Djfresh1212

Postby Djfresh1212 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Manhattan LSAT also has half as many students in the class.

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Like the other poster said, I'd talk with the TLS residents from both companies.

BP Shinners - Blueprint

Manhattan LSAT Noah - Manhattan

I'm sure they'd both be more than happy to assist you.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Djfresh1212 wrote:But it seems like they are very different from each other. Blueprint has 112 hours of live instruction whereas Manhattan has only 36 hours and 1 weekly 30-minute 1-on-1 tutoring session with the instructor. I'm trying to score 170+ but don't want to be stuck in an extremely rigorous class and be behind. It's been driving me nuts.. I know both classes are great, I just want to make sure I'm choosing the better one for myself

Than go to the extremely rigorous class and don't get left behind?
I mean, at this point it's just personal preference. If you clearly have a preference for the 1-on-1 thing with less hours of instruction overall, go with that. Both great companies, neither can guarantee a 170+ but both are certainly capable of helping you reach that.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Djfresh1212 wrote:whereas Manhattan has only 36 hours and 1 weekly 30-minute 1-on-1 tutoring session with the instructor.

I wouldn't chime in here publicly except that I noticed that this post is incorrect. We have 36 hours in class, and then another 2 hours of extra practice sessions live online each week (basically small group tutoring online), and then the weekly tutoring sessions. So, it's a lot more than 36 hours.

I think we both run good classes, but we emphasize some different ideas about what makes students succeed, and you can look at how our programs are structured to figure that out (for example, more hours in larger class vs. fewer hours in smaller classes).

Folks should take trial classes if possible and see for themselves, us hucksters will say anything for a buck.

Noblesse_Oblige

Postby Noblesse_Oblige » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:
Djfresh1212 wrote:whereas Manhattan has only 36 hours and 1 weekly 30-minute 1-on-1 tutoring session with the instructor.

I wouldn't chime in here publicly except that I noticed that this post is incorrect. We have 36 hours in class, and then another 2 hours of extra practice sessions live online each week (basically small group tutoring online), and then the weekly tutoring sessions. So, it's a lot more than 36 hours.

I think we both run good classes, but we emphasize some different ideas about what makes students succeed, and you can look at how our programs are structured to figure that out (for example, more hours in larger class vs. fewer hours in smaller classes).

Folks should take trial classes if possible and see for themselves, us hucksters will say anything for a buck.

Really, above all, you want a method that works for you. One that makes sense and will help you sail through the LSAT on test day. You don't want to be stuck setting up a game for 10 mins.

Djfresh1212

Postby Djfresh1212 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:33 pm

That's essentially what I was trying to get out of this post. The better class that would work for me. Thanks for all the help guys! I'd appreciate any more input! :D

Noblesse_Oblige

Postby Noblesse_Oblige » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Djfresh1212 wrote:That's essentially what I was trying to get out of this post. The better class that would work for me. Thanks for all the help guys! I'd appreciate any more input! :D

Well I would take a peek at any videos they have and what classes you can sit on. If it doesn't make complete sense to you 6 mins from them showing it to you, find a better method (unless you have a mental impairment, which isn't their fault, but I assume you don't lol)

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:Folks should take trial classes if possible and see for themselves, us hucksters will say anything for a buck.

Couldn't agree more. And not just say anything.

Seriously, though, sitting in a trial class is your best bet. Unfortunately, our classes just ended (what with the LSAT being Monday), so we don't have any classes running. You can always get in touch with our office to talk with the instructor for your area, however!

Joeshan520

Postby Joeshan520 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:53 pm

I sat in with a Blueprint class a few weeks ago and I am seriously considering it. They offer explanations for every homework problem, the most hours of live instruction of any LSAT courses and 4-6 actual proctored practice exams. You can also buy video lectures in case you mis a class and don't want to fall behind. This is unlike anything I had experienced when talking to Powerscore or Testmasters. Don't know much about Manhattan though.

danshupp

Postby danshupp » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:00 am

I just completed the Blueprint live course and I highly recommend it. My instructor was absolutely amazing. He scored a 180 himself and was incredibly effective in conveying his knowledge and insight. He also made himself available outside class via email and replied promptly to any questions I had even on the weekends. The course materials are very thorough as well but I was most impressed with their online resources. Almost every question from the homework comes complete with video explanations which are excellent (especially the video explanation for the LG's). I made an 11 point jump from my initial diagnostic to my last scored PT (153 to a 164). Blueprint does an excellent job of keeping the course entertaining as well and not lulling you to sleep which comes in handy, especially during RC....good luck with whichever you choose, sorry I can't be of any help in regards to Manhattan but if you decide on Blueprint you will be in good hands.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:38 am

one thing to consider is the aptitude of the class. If you are aiming for a 170+, and are capable of achieving that score, it would be better to be in a course with similarly capable students. If the nearby course is chock-full of 145 students aiming for 155/160, you might be wasting most of your class time listening to explanations of things you already know.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”