Need Advice on Cancellation Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
tlink1990

New

Need Advice on Cancellation

Post by tlink1990 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Hey guys, first I just want to comment on how amazing this board is. For how competitive law schools are, this place seems like a good community of people who want everyone to succeed. I wish I joined here earlier than I did. I was hoping some of you could understand my dilemma real quick and offer me some advice.

Pretty much during my entire preperation period for the June LSAT my biggest concern was the LG section. I was missing 3 or 4in RC and 4 or 5 in LR, while consistently getting 8 to 10 wrong in LG. About 2 weeks before the test, I took about 20 practice LG sections and finall got to the point where I was missing 2 or 3. It became my best section. However, my LR took a huge hit during his period because I neglected that section. About a week before the test, I started missing 7 or 8. I couldn't answer an Assumption question or Parallel Reasoning to save my life.

Then test day came. For some reason, and this wasn't even premeditated, I skipped all of the Assumption questions, and waited to answer those after I finished the rest of the section. The strategy seemed to work.

Then the Games section came, and I think I got %100. It was so easy!!! I had skipped only one question, and I barely had enough time to go back and answer it. I know my answer was correct too, so I was feeling great! The proctor called time, and I felt good, but to my horror, I saw I only bubbled 22 of the 23 questions. Which means either a) I forgot to bubble in question 23 because I was so concered about the question I originally skipped, or b) I accidently skipped a question in the bubbling process and subsequently threw off my whole section (past question 13 for sure). Honestly, I feel like option B) is a more likely scenario.

But, now I am concerned I messed up bubbling in all the other sections. I was jumping around way more in LR and RC than in LG, so if I screwed up LG how can I even feel confident that I didn't mess up the other sections?

I know now that I should just bubble in a random answer fora question I skip and just move on. I have learned my lesson. But, what do I do about the June LSAT. I am confident I would get above 165 if I didn't mess up bubbling, but there are no promises that I didn't. If I did screw up the bubbling process, I can see a disgusting score like 150.

Should I just cancel my score and hope I can duplicate my preperation and confidence, or should I take the chance and pray I didn't mess up? Would law schools question my resume if I got a 150 in June and then a 165 in October?

chomp

New

Re: Need Advice on Cancellation

Post by chomp » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 pm

I don't think you should cancel. Im not a expert, and this was my first attempt too, but i think a 165 would be too good to risk! If you did bubble right, you have an awesome score and you never have to think about this test again. If you get your score and turns out you bubbled wrong, sign up for the next one and submit a brief statement with your app explaining the mishap. Good luck!

Noblesse_Oblige

New

Post by Noblesse_Oblige » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:03 pm

tlink1990 wrote:Hey guys, first I just want to comment on how amazing this board is. For how competitive law schools are, this place seems like a good community of people who want everyone to succeed. I wish I joined here earlier than I did. I was hoping some of you could understand my dilemma real quick and offer me some advice.

Pretty much during my entire preperation period for the June LSAT my biggest concern was the LG section. I was missing 3 or 4in RC and 4 or 5 in LR, while consistently getting 8 to 10 wrong in LG. About 2 weeks before the test, I took about 20 practice LG sections and finall got to the point where I was missing 2 or 3. It became my best section. However, my LR took a huge hit during his period because I neglected that section. About a week before the test, I started missing 7 or 8. I couldn't answer an Assumption question or Parallel Reasoning to save my life.

Then test day came. For some reason, and this wasn't even premeditated, I skipped all of the Assumption questions, and waited to answer those after I finished the rest of the section. The strategy seemed to work.

Then the Games section came, and I think I got %100. It was so easy!!! I had skipped only one question, and I barely had enough time to go back and answer it. I know my answer was correct too, so I was feeling great! The proctor called time, and I felt good, but to my horror, I saw I only bubbled 22 of the 23 questions. Which means either a) I forgot to bubble in question 23 because I was so concered about the question I originally skipped, or b) I accidently skipped a question in the bubbling process and subsequently threw off my whole section (past question 13 for sure). Honestly, I feel like option B) is a more likely scenario.

But, now I am concerned I messed up bubbling in all the other sections. I was jumping around way more in LR and RC than in LG, so if I screwed up LG how can I even feel confident that I didn't mess up the other sections?

I know now that I should just bubble in a random answer fora question I skip and just move on. I have learned my lesson. But, what do I do about the June LSAT. I am confident I would get above 165 if I didn't mess up bubbling, but there are no promises that I didn't. If I did screw up the bubbling process, I can see a disgusting score like 150.

Should I just cancel my score and hope I can duplicate my preperation and confidence, or should I take the chance and pray I didn't mess up? Would law schools question my resume if I got a 150 in June and then a 165 in October?
You should be fine, only about 3 schools average you LSAT scores out. Most just take the highest. Wait for the score, if you get a 165, congrats! If you get a 150, good job! Now you have 4 months to study and you can get a 173 in October! Seriously, then you will probably be asked for an Affidavit explaining the score jump, and you can just explain it to them.

So if you messed up, just look at it as a sign that you could do even better than a 165 in October anyway!

woolfiot

New

Post by woolfiot » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 pm

I agree in that you probably shouldn't cancel. I'm in a similar boat... but my problem is that I can't judge my performance on this test because for some strange reason I can barely remember any of it, let alone any individual question. Is that a terrible sign? I've never had this happen to me after a major test. I don't feel like I was absolutely panicking while I was taking it, but it would seem that way based on the fact that my brain has completely blocked it out. Anyone have this happen before?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:11 am

tlink1990 wrote:Hey guys, first I just want to comment on how amazing this board is. For how competitive law schools are, this place seems like a good community of people who want everyone to succeed. I wish I joined here earlier than I did. I was hoping some of you could understand my dilemma real quick and offer me some advice.

If you really think you did and/or it turns out that you did mis-bubble a bunch of answers in a section by offsetting the row you marked the answers in due to skipping a question or something, you should request hand scoring of your answer sheet.

LSAC sometimes fixes such mistakes if you provide detailed information about where you think you went wrong/accidentally skipped a row that caused you to offset the rows you marked a bunch of answer choices in for a section and the information you provide matches up with what is on your answer sheet.

Here is the info I received from LSAC when I inquired about this issue before for a student:
to: Jeffort@somewhere.com
subject: Question regarding LSAC handscoring policy and procedures
mailed-by: lsac.org

Hi Jeff,

In speaking with Candidate Services we do review such requests but the test taker would have to be specific in stating which was the last item correctly completed, which item he/she skipped and any other information relevant to the misgridding.

There are times when we are able to make an adjustment but not always.

I hope this helps.
Click on this link:
http://www.lsac.org/JD/Help/faqs-lsat.asp#

Scroll down to the "After You Take the Test" section and click on the relevant link(s) for the proper rules and procedures.

Good Luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”