Is there any hope for me?

UltraNonTraditional

Is there any hope for me?

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm not sure how to determine my actual score, but I just took the initial diagnostic test in the Barron's LSAT Preparation Book. My scores were as follows:

Section 1 - RC 18/29 correct
Section 2 - AR 5/24 correct*
Section 3 - LR 17/26 correct
Section 4 - AR 9/24 correct*
Section 5 - LR 20/25 correct

*After the second logic game question, I became extremely frazzled, frustrated, etc. and just took a wild guess at every question after #1. Clearly, my greatest weakness is the logic games, which is coincidental because I love logic games and do them in puzzle books a lot. I guess the difference is that in those books, the diagrams are already drawn out and here, I just got totally stuck without them.

It may be worthwhile to mention that I have never even looked at an LSAT exam before, so this is literally my first glance and attempt. Also, I have attention deficit disorder, and I did this with no medication so my focus was pretty bad.

As I guessed, I didn't have enough time in the RC section. I blame that on the ADD, and I figure with practice (and meds), I can probably do better in time.

I found the LR section to be quite easy, and most of the ones I got wrong, I was able to easily understand why they were wrong.

According to the grading instructions in the Barron's book, I guess I got somewhere under 150. Obviously, that sucks.

I'm planning to take the test in October. Do you think I'll be able to do a decent job or should I give up now?

giantwhale3798

Re: Is there any hope for me?

Postby giantwhale3798 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Of course you have hope! Do sports while preparing for the LSAT, pay close attention to nutrition and good sleep. I am much worse than you when started, but now I am around 170s. It's tough job but in the end, it is rewarding.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:27 pm

There's always hope. Read up on some tips for each section, and take an official LSAC preptest, as it's the general consensus that tests made up by prep companies aren't as good.

giantwhale3798

Postby giantwhale3798 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Try to do a real preptest, Barron is not identical to the LSAC's test

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:29 pm

AR is easiest to improve

padawanphil

Postby padawanphil » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:31 pm

It sounds like a loser's mentality, but it's not if you're honest with yourself. Just do your best.

Read through some of the LSAT prep threads since they'll give you proven paths to a great score. Good luck!

UltraNonTraditional

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:32 pm

Wow, thanks. I totally thought the credited response would be HELL NO, THERE'S NO HOPE FOR YOU. LOL.

Ok, well I guess I'll keep trying. Any suggestions for the best place to get the official LSAC prep test? Should I just get it from the LSAC website or is there some other place? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm really new to all this stuff. Also, pending your replies, I was going to order the LSAT Power Bible for Logic Games. I'll do that first thing in the morning. Should I bother to take the official prep test first, or should I wait until after I get the hang of the logic games? I was totally stumped on them... like to the point where I literally guessed down the entire answer sheet.

Thanks again!

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:35 pm

UltraNonTraditional wrote:Wow, thanks. I totally thought the credited response would be HELL NO, THERE'S NO HOPE FOR YOU. LOL.

Ok, well I guess I'll keep trying. Any suggestions for the best place to get the official LSAC prep test? Should I just get it from the LSAC website or is there some other place? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm really new to all this stuff. Also, pending your replies, I was going to order the LSAT Power Bible for Logic Games. I'll do that first thing in the morning. Should I bother to take the official prep test first, or should I wait until after I get the hang of the logic games? I was totally stumped on them... like to the point where I literally guessed down the entire answer sheet.

Thanks again!

Wait till after you get LG down. It'll do wonders for your score, and doing PTs shouldn't be how you learn, it should be how you practice what you've learned.

If you can afford to print all your PTs, I'd suggest getting them from LSAT blog (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/ls ... nload.html) if you want LR solutions, or Cambridge (http://www.cambridgelsat.com/productdet ... ptests/519) if you want LG solutions. It's quicker, you can print them out multiple times to retake them, and you get solutions!

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Listen to Br3v.

Br3v wrote:AR is easiest to improve

Buy prep test bundles of 10 on Amazon for like 20 dollars (29-38 and 52-61). Save 62,63,64,65, and soon to be 66 mostly for last.

Also, stop wasting your time on fake questions NOW. Get PSBs and Manhattan instead of barrons/PR/Kaplan
Last edited by Nova on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:37 pm

Nova wrote:Listen to Br3v.

Br3v wrote:AR is easiest to improve

Buy prep test bundles of 10 on Amazon for like 20 dollars (29-38 and 52-61). Save 62,63,64,65, and soon to be 66 mostly for last.

Also, stop wasting your time on fake questions NOW. Get PSBs and Manhattaninstead of barrons/PR/Kaplan

ha though round these pasrts OP, we call it Games

MikePK

Postby MikePK » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:38 pm

Analytical Reasoning can be extremely daunting at first glance. Those are the type of questions that can be improved a lot just by becoming familiar with what they ask of you. Once you look at a few more and start to understand the basics of diagramming and drawing inferences, you will begin to calm down and get a lot more questions right.

As for the other sections, you didn't do that poorly on any of them. Hope is most certainly not lost for you. Just take your time and allow yourself to begin to grasp each section. It won't be easy, but it will get easier as you do it more and more. You have plenty of time until October.

Having a good grasp on logical reasoning is a great advantage for you. That means you are good at thinking in the way you need to for the LSAT and should be able to adjust the things you are doing incorrectly fairly quickly.

As for RC, you will learn how to read the passages more quickly and efficiently with practice. Just keep practicing them and you will find yourself improving.

Don't allow yourself to panic too much. Like you said, you got freaked out on the AR sections and just pretty much gave up. Just slow down a bit and try to get a good idea of how to do each type of question. Understand that this is not an overnight process. The more you read and practice the LSAT, the better you will find yourself scoring on it.

No need to give up hope, my friend. Just don't allow yourself to get discouraged, and you will get better and better at this.

UltraNonTraditional

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:41 pm

OMG you guys are freaking gold. I'm totally taking ALL this advice to heart and will follow. I'll order the Bible tomorrow, and after I get the hang of the logic games, I'll take the LSAC diagnostic to see where I stand, and order the practice tests to try to get better.

Thanks so much! I feel a lot better. I was getting really depressed. LOL (srsly tho)

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:43 pm

why are you ultra non trad?

UltraNonTraditional

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 pm

Br3v wrote:why are you ultra non trad?

I'm super old. LOL. Late 30s. Minority URM. Learning disability (ADD). Plus, I grew up pretty poor and in a pretty rough family environment (father was stabbed to death in front of the family, myself included; mother turned to drugs and was pretty much high for my whole adolescence). But yeah, the ultra part is because I'm old. LOL

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Wow. Best of luck to you.

And yeah, I've got a fairly aggressive case of ADHD as well, but just stay on your meds and study/practice diligently for a few months and you'll be in much better shape. AR, as others have said, is the section that bests responds to studying. I went from "omgwtf" to more or less crushing that section every time. The RC, however, I have nothing nice to say about. No amount of adderall or effort can make me read quickly enough to finish one of those babies without wishing I'd had a couple more minutes.

MavEryck

Postby MavEryck » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:06 pm

Hey,

I'm much older than you...and I have a birthday this week...

(late 30's is nothing unless you're trying to date the youngest girl in your class) :roll:

Anyway, you mentioned that you do better when the diagram is already there...Well, that's the trick Dude... Spend adequate time drawing your diagram before you attempt to answer the questions.

Once you have the diagramming down..the answers will more or less jump off the page at you!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”